Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Games with SecuROM and SafeDisc DRM won't run under Windows 10

The original interview is available on

if you happen to speak German, but the relevant bit is this: "Everything that ran in Windows 7 should also run in Windows 10. There are just two silly exceptions: antivirus software and stuff that’s deeply embedded into the system needs updating—but the developers are on it already—and then there are old games on CD-Rom that have DRM. This DRM stuff is also deeply embedded in your system, and that’s where Windows 10 says, 'Sorry, we cannot allow that, because that would be a possible loophole for computer viruses.' That’s why there are a couple of games from 2003-2008 with Securom, etc. that simply don’t run without a no-CD patch or some such."

They go on in the article to talk about how this could be a good thing, seeing as those DRM's had loopholes that could be exploited by viruses.

Yay DRM, yet again messing with the consumer.

By the way, this means that games like the original Bioshock and the original mass effect won't work if you only have a cd copy of the game.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/report-games-with-securom-and-safedisc-drm-wont-run-under-windows-10/

Original Interview (German):

Sorry if this was posted already, I searched before typing and couldn't find anything relevant to this.

So i can't play the original RCT on Windows 10? Bollocks.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Huh, so hopefully this will kill off the overzealous DRM's that are out there then? Well eventually that is...

DRM was never a good thing, hated it then, hate it now.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS     |     TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES     |     FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |     F@H & BOINC Badge Request     |    F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My phones are a Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

🇺🇸   About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46   🇺🇸

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

secuROM didn't work on windows 7 either, i ruined my OS multiple times because i installed a game with secuROM drm.

It installs files in the windows folder, result: windows freaks out and just completely breaks.

Not suprised it isn't different with W10...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I own Bioshock 1, 2 and 3 on Steam. So I am spared a headache? :D

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

Oh look, more bad news about Windows 10.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I own Bioshock 1, 2 and 3 on Steam. So I am spared a headache? :D

Yeah haha. if you have a steam version of the games your fine. The article itself also mentions that obviously cracked versions still work fine, ironicly.

This only affects if you have the disc version of the game. If you have it from Steam, it is fine.

Microsoft removed SECDRV.SYS, which is what these 2 DRM where using. The reason why Microsoft removed it, is that those 2 DRM has had the reputation of hampering their Windows experience, and who do they blame? No, not Obama, but Microsoft.

TL;DR of why they don't work is that it was either to allow them or leave a door open for malware, which one do you think was the sensible choice for a updated version to the most ubiquitous desktop OS out there? besides its DRM its already a PITA on its own.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

It is good news. These DRM's were very problematic in Windows space. Blocking them is a smart move.

Yes, SOME people might have problems, but the game that would genuinely run under Win10, where mostly purchased from Steam by gamers, and the list of games using either DRM has been reduced since Windows 7. So games that won't work, are like disk version of GTA 3 originally purchased when it was released. That kind of games.

What Microsoft did is put the nail on teh coffins, and these companies that make these DRM solution needs to find another solution or business, and now it increases Windows security by not having malware exploiting it.

It is good news. These DRM's were very problematic in Windows space. Blocking them is a smart move.

Yes, SOME people might have problems, but the game that would genuinely run under Win10, where mostly purchased from Steam by gamers, and the list of games using either DRM has been reduced since Windows 7. So games that won't work, are like disk version of GTA 3 originally purchased when it was released. That kind of games.

What Microsoft did is put the nail on teh coffins, and these companies that make these DRM solution needs to find another solution or business, and now it increases Windows security by not having malware exploiting it.

Wait, GTA 3 on disc had DRM?

Only problem I remember having with that is the text all being solid blocks. Had to download a patch to fix it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

So i can't play the original RCT on Windows 10? Bollocks

I dug out this game as soon as I upgraded to Windows 10, Runs without a problem.

Good

The less DRM that is allowed to exist in this world the better. It does absolutely nothing but potentially ruin the experience for legitimate customers.

Time for the publishers to take their securom crap and shove it up their *beep* *beep* and their *beep* *beep* *beep*​ with a *beep* ​using a hamster.

But seriously, they need to release updates that removes the crap immediately.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

So i can't play the original RCT on Windows 10? Bollocks.

lojPkVr.jpg

Time for the publishers to take their securom crap and shove it up their *beep* *beep* and their *beep* *beep* *beep*​ with a *beep* ​using a hamster.

But seriously, they need to release updates that removes the crap immediately.

They most likely will just download crack and include that in a patch.

Had to download a crack for The Sims Complete Collection. I previously just made an image of the disc and mounted it to a virtual drive, but this is actually a lot easier.

Although, with this crack, the launcher for The Sims does not come up. As such, the glorious launcher tune will forever be missed (plus I had to manually edit the .exe with a hex editor to make it run at the right resolution as a result of the lack of launcher).

._.

AMD A8-5500•••ASUS GTX 660•••MSI MS-7778 Mobo•••2x4GB DDR3 RAM•••CoolerMaster v550 Semi-Modular PSU•••1.5TB HDD•256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD•••Optical Drive•••Phanteks Enthoo Pro