First DirectX 12 game benchmarked *Update 2 More benchmarks

The point is that you can spend as much as you like on "better" versions of any of these cards for relatively small differences between them. You can complain about Zotac for whatever reason all you like, I was looking at the cheapest entry price of every GPU and showing that AMD were not cheaper than Nvidia with anything remotely resembling ubiquity. There are three other 970s available for less than the cheapest 390.

You are free to want to spend more on a better cooler, but you are missing the point entirely by focusing on everything but the cost of the GPU.

I can honestly tell you from personal experience that 970 is really er... Not good... Its loud, gets hot and really doesn't overclock well... Though its small and cute and all but its very far from the G1 970 standard in LTT. It makes for a good budget card, yes. But its really hard to recommend that card to anyone unless on a really tight budget...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I know what a factoid is, that's why I described your point as one.

My claim was that out of the 4 cards benchmarked, the AMD cards are cheaper and equal or better in performance than the NVidia cards. That is factual, not a factoid. Not sure why you brought it in as a blanket statement for all cards, which is completely out of context of my post.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I can honestly tell you from personal experience that 970 is really er... Not good... Its loud, gets hot and really doesn't overclock well... Though its small and cute and all but its very far from the G1 970 standard in LTT. It makes for a good budget card, yes. But its really hard to recommend that card to anyone unless on a really tight budget...

You're not going to get a G1 for the bare minimum cost of a particular GPU. I deliberately did not choose that standard of GPU because I wanted it to be a fair statement about how budget-friendly both AMD and Nvidia are.

My claim was that out of the 4 cards benchmarked, the AMD cards are cheaper and equal or better in performance than the NVidia cards. That is factual, not a factoid. Not sure why you brought it in as a blanket statement for all cards, which is completely out of context of my post.

The factoid in question is the statement that AMD is more budget friendly than Nvidia. That is the often-repeated and clearly false statement I refuted. If you did not mean to say that, then fair enough, but it is definitely a factoid.

Here we go...

No. I'm not playing along with your BS. Wait until there are more games that use DX12 and Nvidia and AMD have matured drivers, aside from that you're just speculating and whining about meaningless tests.

Done. Bye.

If you make a claim, it's going to get challenged. All I want is for you to define your statement; not sure why that is such a big issue?

As I've said this game does not represent DX12 or DX12 based games, but it is the only tangible example we have so far. After all DX12 has been officially launched, and both AMD and NVidia has officially launched their DX12 drivers. Of course we can compare them.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

You're not going to get a G1 for the bare minimum cost of a particular GPU. I deliberately did not choose that standard of GPU because I wanted it to be a fair statement about how budget-friendly both AMD and Nvidia are.

Fair? Triple Slot 3 fan cooler vs tiny dual slot heatsink? Fair......????

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

If you make a claim, it's going to get challenged. All I want is for you to define your statement; not sure why that is such a big issue?

As I've said this game does not represent DX12 or DX12 based games, but it is the only tangible example we have so far. After all DX12 has been officially launched, and both AMD and NVidia has officially launched their DX12 drivers. Of course we can compare them.

They are brand spanking new used for essentially a benchmark that doesn't scale according to what has been said repeatedly about DX12 (scaling evenly with cores/threads especially with FX processors).

One benchmark is not something you should base your entire opinion of an API on.

They are brand spanking new used for essentially a benchmark that doesn't scale according to what has been said repeatedly about DX12 (scaling evenly with cores/threads especially with FX processors).

One benchmark is not something you should base your entire opinion of an API on.

That they are, the point is that API optimization seems to be a continuous thing in drivers, so mature becomes somewhat arbitrary.

You can make a DX12 game single threaded. It's the API itself that has lower CPU overhead and being multithreaded (DX11 wasn't really). Other than that it's about some new technologies and lower level access to the GPU itself. This last part is important, because the point is to be less dependant on GPU drivers (and thus driver based optimizations NVidia is known for in DX11), and more on writing the game specifically for the GPU.

And there was me thinking that Directx 12 was going to be used on more than those two GPUs. My mistake.

Didn't mean to put it like that. Just talking in terms of the only two cards (390X vs 980) that were tested between DX11 and DX12 in the article. Hard to talk about other cards, when the article doesn't benchmark the differences in API for them.

No wonder why NVIDIA insisted on trying to discredit Mantle with DX11 (funny thing it was with a similar benchmark that wiped the floor with Mantle BETA... and took NVIDIA more then 2 months of optimizations to try to achieve something)... like if that would make everything stop in time and we would have DX11 forever.

AMD and their partners sharing their work with Microsoft and Khronos was a great move. Thanks to it we have a leaner API that wont require game developers to be dependent on IHV to deliver the best performance for their products.

Mantle was a developers initiative. This is what the product makers want. They just need to deal with it.

i can see nvidia releasing DX11 games in 2016 and 2017  :lol:

and skipping DX12 completely in next years  :rolleyes:

ashes-6700k.png

Fair? Triple Slot 3 fan cooler vs tiny dual slot heatsink? Fair......????

I've explained to you the parameters I was actually comparing three times now. I am not going to waste any more of my day when you are just being this deliberately obstinate.

Go and compare a fucking Gaming G1 with the cheapest Power Color 390 if that's what you think is worthwhile, I really don't care any more. If you honestly think that AMD or Nvidia have any say over these coolers then I don't have any inclination to bother correcting your delusion.

The cheapest 970 is cheaper than the cheapest 390. THAT'S IT.

Didn't mean to put it like that. Just talking in terms of the only two cards (390X vs 980) that were tested between DX11 and DX12 in the article. Hard to talk about other cards, when the article doesn't benchmark the differences in API for them.

The blanket statement was made that AMD was cheaper than Nvidia. Notional has since said that I was supposed to infer the exact cards he was talking about and that he didn't actually mean the exact words he said, in spite of the fact that he was repeating a very common factoid verbatim.

exciting...but i but i want something a bit for predictable where we know the state of the coding a bit more. *cough*3dmark for dx12 which should have been out at or within a week of w10*cough*

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I've explained to you the parameters I was actually comparing three times now. I am not going to waste any more of my day when you are just being this deliberately obstinate.

Go and compare a fucking Gaming G1 with the cheapest Power Color 390 if that's what you think is worthwhile, I really don't care any more. If you honestly think that AMD or Nvidia have any say over these coolers then I don't have any inclination to bother correcting your delusion.

The cheapest 970 is cheaper than the cheapest 390. THAT'S IT.

Excuse me? That's a PCS+ card.... Obviously I know what you're trying to compare but I'm just here telling ya that it isn't a real world comparison... Yet I get called delusional... :rolleyes:  

The blanket statement was made that AMD was cheaper than Nvidia. Notional has since said that I was supposed to infer the exact cards he was talking about and that he didn't actually mean the exact words he said, in spite of the fact that he was repeating a very common factoid verbatim.

No such blanket statement has been made. This thread is about a DX12 benchmark made by PCPer with a 390x and a 980. I've since added an Extremetech article, which includes a Fury X and a 980ti. My statement as based on those cards, because that is the context of the post I replied to and the thread as well. We only have benchmarks from these four cards, so we obviously can't make conclusions on other cards than those. I would speculate, that we will see similar outcomes on other cards, but that is speculation and not part of that original post in question.

Huh? Cherry picked? Those were the cards you picked...

Why is the Zotac one trash ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Why is the Zotac one trash ?

The small mini fans on them are very loud, doesn't have really have good thermal performance and doesn't overclock well. Trash might be a little too harsh on the little guy since its still usable but compared to the other 970s its probably at the bottom. But +1 for it being small and cute :B

I'm thinking the reason is that AMD had such a large head start on asynchronous shaders (DX12 and mantle feature). AMD implemented them into GCN 1.0 (7000 series) while nVidea didn't implement them till I believe Maxwell v.2

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Nitrous engine was built with mantle in mind, and since dx12 and mantle is very similar, I wouldn't be surprised if amd gets a headstart early in the game.

If anyone have any new sources, more graphic card comparisons, etc, please link them, and I will add them in the OP post, if interesting. Thanks :)

I'm thinking the reason is that AMD had such a large head start on asynchronous shaders (DX12 and mantle feature). AMD implemented them into GCN 1.0 (7000 series) while nVidea didn't implement them till I believe Maxwell v.2

Indeed, but it's also a case of NVidia loosing their advantage with their multi threaded DX11 drivers.

These results by arstechnica are far more mindblowing:

heavy.002-980x720.png

I mean, the 290X achieves almost the same avg. FPS as a 980 Ti. That said though, 1 game is still a too small sample size to make any meaningful conclusions, we shall see though.

Full article: http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2015/08/directx-12-tested-an-early-win-for-amd-and-disappointment-for-nvidia/

I mean, the 290X achieves almost the same avg. FPS as a 980 Ti. That said though, 1 game is still a too small sample size to make any meaningful conclusions, we shall see though.

Full article: http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2015/08/directx-12-tested-an-early-win-for-amd-and-disappointment-for-nvidia/

Damn. I will update in a second. That 99th percentile bench is insane though. I wonder what happened?

Man... This just screws with my decision to go with the 980 even further...

Man... This just screws with my decision to go with the 980 even further...

It shouldn't . 980 is still great card but so is 290x . Just take tri-X if you decide to go with 290x.

It shouldn't . 980 is still great card but so is 290x . Just take tri-X if you decide to go with 290x.

290x cards aren't really an option in my area... I can either get the palit 980 or the Msi 390x 

And that Tri X is freakin long, it won't fit in my case. 

I'm just trying to weigh in future games as well as Modded Skyrim. Also while keeping in mind how vram heavy modding Fallout 4 might be. At this point I cannot decide whether I am vram limited or brand limited :/ (Boris doesn't develop or test enbs on AMD cards)

It would be interesting to see some more benchmarks on different cpus (with those same cards) to see how much impact the cpu has vs the gpu on this particular rts