First DirectX 12 game benchmarked *Update 2 More benchmarks

I was expecting to see some nonsensical rationalizing to justify preeliminar and meaningless results regardless. Nice to see I was not disappointed. 

INB4 GUYS! THE FURY X HAS ONLY BEEN RELEASED FOR TWO WEEKS LET AMD FINALIZE THE DRIVERS BECAUSE IT ISN'T A FAIR FIGHT ATM.

Seriously though, the biggest takeaways I see from this are nvidia ISN'T ready for DX12 (or at least not on this game.) and this game is a low thread count hog monster of a cpu stresser.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Are you going to actually retort, or just make some wikipedia-level psych evaluation which shows you projecting more than anything else?

I did both already: preliminary results are mostly meaningless there's no need to find excuses for Nvidia, at least not yet anyway.

-------

Current Rig

-------

INB4 GUYS! THE FURY X HAS ONLY BEEN RELEASED FOR TWO WEEKS LET AMD FINALIZE THE DRIVERS BECAUSE IT ISN'T A FAIR FIGHT ATM.

Seriously though, the biggest takeaways I see from this are nvidia ISN'T ready for DX12 (or at least not on this game.) and this game is a low thread count hog monster of a cpu stresser.

I did both already: preliminary results are mostly meaningless there's no need to find excuses for Nvidia, at least not yet anyway.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm not excusing nvidia at all. Just saying the DX11 drivers from AMD were bad, as i've said in the past and received flak from it.

Merely adding the caveat that the huge scaling AMD does on the 390X is as much a good sign as a bad one. It means their cards are fast, but their DX11 drivers are ...well...shit.

And that right now, for DX11 builds, adding an AMD card into a budget build (with budget CPU) isn't a great idea. As it will have some pretty poor synergy.

Are you looking at the heavy results? The one that is actually CPU heavy (>20.000 drawcalls)?

http://www.pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/review/2015-08-16/ashesheavy-gtx980.png

No significant difference.

What are you talking about... 72 vs 66 fps, 67 vs 61 fps,  4 fps differences in the average test suite. That is MASSIVE for 1080p and two of the top gaming cpu's in the world.

Also clearly it's not single threaded. But it certainly doesn't show much if any scaling beyond 4 threads. Looks like the standard 3-4 thread game we have seen from dx11 in the past. 

If it was less than 3 threads the i3 should keep up fairly well, if it was more than 4 the 8370 should do much better (also the difference between the 8370 and 6300 being so small indicates it likely doesn't use more than 6 threads as the core clocks alone would make up the difference between the two.)

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

What are you talking about... 72 vs 66 fps, 67 vs 61 fps,  4 fps differences in the average test suite. That is MASSIVE for 1080p and two of the top gaming cpu's in the world.

I'm looking at the DX12 portions ofcourse. As on DX11 drivers the 5960X had the same problem AMD CPU's are having. Lower IPC (3ghz vs 4.2ghz is huge) meant poorer scaling. The differences between the DX12 results of the 6700K and 5960X are insignificant.

The average testsuit is not good for looking at the CPU specifically. You need to look at the "heavy" results.

If it was less than 3 threads the i3 should keep up fairly well, if it was more than 4 the 8370 should do much better (also the difference between the 8370 and 6300 being so small indicates it likely doesn't use more than 6 threads as the core clocks alone would make up the difference between the two.)

Or the suffer from the same architectual bottleneck, since they're both made up of vishera cores.

I'm looking at the DX12 portions ofcourse. As on DX11 drivers the 5960X had the same problem AMD CPU's are having. Lower IPC (3ghz vs 4.2ghz is huge) meant poorer scaling. The differences between the DX12 results of the 6700K and 5960X are insignificant.

The average testsuit is not good for looking at the CPU specifically. You need to look at the "heavy" results.

I am... blue is dx12. its 72 vs 66 fps and 67 vs 61 for the 390x (which has higher fps in general so is more indicative of overall cpu usage.) The 980 shows little difference (1-4 fps) on the heavy side.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Yep, AMD graphics cards were held back by drivers. I'm fairly sure the Fury X + intel CPU is going to be ballin'

Well, the bottleneck of their drivers were mostly visible with lower end CPUs (pentium, 860k, i3, 6300), which is why i suggested using a GTX 960 with those.

But at the higher end, while i knew it was there, the higher end GPUs performs so well in the first place that it was hard to believe they had this much left really

edit:

the difference between the 5960x and the 6700, could it be cause of better instruction sets/faster RAM?

Well, the bottleneck of their drivers were mostly visible with lower end CPUs (pentium, 860k, i3, 6300), which is why i suggested using a GTX 960 with those.

But at the higher end, while i knew it was there, the higher end GPUs performs so well in the first place that it was hard to believe they had this much left really

Not surprising when you compare floating point performance with Nvidia's equivalent cards. Almost a 40% difference in SP raw power.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I'm not excusing nvidia at all. Just saying the DX11 drivers from AMD were bad, as i've said in the past and received flak from it.

Merely adding the caveat that the huge scaling AMD does on the 390X is as much a good sign as a bad one. It means their cards are fast, but their DX11 drivers are ...well...shit.

And that right now, for DX11 builds, adding an AMD card into a budget build (with budget CPU) isn't a great idea. As it will have some pretty poor synergy.

What I see is what we've been seeing since the release of the 390x: it's mostly between a bit and somewhat behind the 980 which is notable for a 2013 card. This game is behaving exactly the same and the numbers are where they should be, just the hardware limits of Hawaii/Grenada. This is not any kind of DX11 driver issue, this is DX12 performance gains due to processor power, hence it mostly disappears on low end processors.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If it was single threaded, the 5960X, 6700K and 4330 would've been much closer. The gap between the 4330 and 6700 says it's not single-threaded.

There multithreaded design is clearly lacking scalability . Probably a thread per subsystem, Im assuming they probably coded large parts of the engine and went "oh shit we're cpu bound" they should have easily been able to utilize every core/thread on each of those processors through queues and worker threads. That 5960x should have crushed those benchmarks if the game had a good multithreaded design. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Can someone please explain these 2 devices I see?  I am not familiar with them.

dyOLS.jpg

oh, i know what that is.

its called mECC RAM,

It works this way.

You grab this stick shaped thing, and doodle on the paper in a constructive manner. If the doodling seems incorrect, you automatically correct it. Once you are done with the doodle and has made your video, you discard the paper.

There multithreaded design is clearly lacking scalability . Probably a thread per subsystem, Im assuming they probably coded large parts of the engine and went "oh shit we're cpu bound" they should have easily been able to utilize every core/thread on each of those processors through queues and worker threads. That 5960x should have crushed those benchmarks if the game had a good multithreaded design. 

It's not scaling to 16 threads, no. But it's not single-threaded either. My guess it's about a 6core scaling. As we also saw with the DX12 overhead test from 3Dmark.

This along with the lackluster results on AMD chips indicates that it works a little different: Single core performance it's still important over many cores, meaning that the superior clock speeds on the 6700k give it an advantage which is mostly not the case on other types of workloads that are multithreaded.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's not scaling to 16 threads, no. But it's not single-threaded either. My guess it's about a 6core scaling. As we also saw with the DX12 overhead test from 3Dmark.

which would explain AMDs slider showing actually diminishing returns with 8 cores....

http://techreport.com/r.x/2015_3_26_AMD_shows_off_DirectX_12_performance_with_new_3DMark_benchmark/cpuscaling.jpg

it gives this picture a bit more sense. Perhaps they knew that DX12 would only effectivly scale up to 6 cores?

Shit... I was thinking of buying a gtx 980.... But not really the time to judge yet...

nvidia drivers at least from the people i know of and myself have found the win10 nvidia drivers to be edgy at best

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

oh, i know what that is.

its called mECC RAM,

It works this way.

You grab this stick shaped thing, and doodle on the paper in a constructive manner. If the doodling seems incorrect, you automatically correct it. Once you are done with the doodle and has made your video, you discard the paper.

SCIENCE! What a wonderful time we live in...

This is very interesting. With mantle, AMD was able to eliminate the cpu as a bottleneck and achieve the same performance across every cpu. With DX12, that's not happening; fx is still garbage LOL

How did you arrive at this conclusion?

quite simply, I presume

i3 has only 2 cores and 2HT while the AMD's FX-8370 has 8 cores

either the AMD's FX is crap or Intel's i3 is very good

nvidia drivers at least from the people i know of and myself have found the win10 nvidia drivers to be edgy at best

Yes I know about the current situation of Nvidia drivers but Boris Vorontsov iirc only develops and tests ENBs with Nvidia cards. So AMD cards are getting the shorter end of the stick apparently. But I don't really know how much of a performance difference there is between AMD and Nvidia.  Also AMD cards will have the edge in vram for high res textures and enbs with crazy AA. I need some real power for skyrim but I don't know who will give that to me.

Ahh... Decisions decisions... 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Yes I know about the current situation of Nvidia drivers but Boris Vorontsov iirc only develops and tests ENBs with Nvidia cards. So AMD cards are getting the shorter end of the stick apparently. But I don't really know how much of a performance difference there is between AMD and Nvidia.  Also AMD cards will have the edge in vram for high res textures and enbs with crazy AA. I need some real power for skyrim but I don't know who will give that to me.

Ahh... Decisions decisions... 

yeah skyrim can be a pain at times. For some reason the depth of field has just given up on me in skyrim not sure why but the game looks significantly worse without it even with my array of mods

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Going back to my point about a poor design. They probably implemented multhithreading into their engine after it was made and they probably implemented it based on subsystems which is the most half assed way of implementing concurrency within a game.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

I would love to see this on more cards, but AMD's directx 12 drivers are already extremely good, and thank god.

Just one benchmark, but an i3 is still beating out an FX8.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."