Fixing Windows Boot Manager

Wind1000100
Go to solution Solved by Wind1000100,

How did you enter the command "bootrec.exe /fixmbr"? By booting from the Windows install DVD and going to recovery?

Either way, you can follow this youtube tutorial on your phone or other computer to be guided through the complete recovery process. Let me know if it's fixed afterwards.

Hey, thanks for the help, but I found something that worked!

I checked the partitions then ran these 3 commands:

bootrec.exe  /fixmbr

bootrec.exe  /fixboot

bootrec.exe  /RebuildBcd

Now Windows is working fine and I will continue updating to Windows 10, as it was attempting before but got stuck due to GRUB. :)

Hello,

I removed GRUB/Linux partitions and used bootrec.exe /fixmbr and it said success. Now when I boot into Windows, all I see is (attached image). It appears cut off. What should I do?

(Sorry for lack of detail; I'm quickly writing this from my phone and it's late - I'll add more info at request.)

Thanks.

post-169352-0-84173400-1439210278_thumb.

I'm here to learn and help others!

Yup! It is indeed cut off, it should say "rescue mode...", which is a remnant of the Grub2 install. Does a button like spacebar or return do anything?

Is it BIOS or UEFI? If it's UEFI, is "secure boot" or "legacy mode" enabled?

-Insert witty comment here-

Yup! It is indeed cut off, it should say "rescue mode...", which is a remnant of the Grub2 install. Does a button like spacebar or return do anything?

Thanks for the response. It is running an ASRock EUFI BIOS. I need to sleep now but tomorrow I'll check the mode and report back!

Thanks for the response. It is running an ASRock EUFI BIOS. I need to sleep now but tomorrow I'll check the mode and report back!

Alright, quote me again so I get a notification, I'll come back tomorrow.

1. Spacebar creates spaces, enter/return runs the command and moves down a line. Nothing really.

2. It's an ASRock UEFI BIOS.

3. Secure boot is disabled. I can't find anything saying "legacy mode" in 5 minutes.

Thanks!

How did you enter the command "bootrec.exe /fixmbr"? By booting from the Windows install DVD and going to recovery?

Either way, you can follow this youtube tutorial on your phone or other computer to be guided through the complete recovery process. Let me know if it's fixed afterwards.

Either way, you can follow

on your phone or other computer to be guided through the complete recovery process. Let me know if it's fixed afterwards.

Yes, I entered the command through the Windows install DVD recovery. It said it was successful.

I will watch the video soon and report back. Thanks!

Hey, thanks for the help, but I found something that worked!

I checked the partitions then ran these 3 commands:

bootrec.exe  /fixmbr

bootrec.exe  /fixboot

bootrec.exe  /RebuildBcd

Now Windows is working fine and I will continue updating to Windows 10, as it was attempting before but got stuck due to GRUB. :)