What's The Difference Between LGA1150, 1151, 1155?

What's the difference between LGA1150, 1151, 1155, and what would happen if you put a LGA1150 CPU in a LGA1151 socket? I mean, those three I just listed look identical from what I've seen, (I'm quite aware that it gets much more complex than that), so what makes them different?

They are like those toddler toys/puzzles:

BR19eG9.jpg

Sure, maybe a ball will fit in the square hole but it is not how it is suppose to be.

So the CPU would just not work.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The numbers refer to the amount of pins found in the socket and on the CPU. 1150=1150 pins, 1151=1151 pins, and 1155=1155 pins. In the case of say 1150 vs 1155, even if you could get the CPU to fit, the functions of the pins have been switched around with LGA1150 because according to Intel, it improved efficiency. Because the functions of the pins are different on LGA1150 versus 1155, you would end up with a dead CPU.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

there are different sockets, the number is the number of pins, you can't just put a cpu to a mobo with a different socket, it isn't compatible.

perfect!!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

Hey, my nephew has one of those! He also enjoys shouting 'no' and dribbling, common for me when building computers.

But to stay on-topic: You could force them in, but as Minibois said, they simply won't work, so don't even try.. unless you're extremely bored.

The numbers refer to the amount of pins found in the socket and on the CPU. 1150=1150 pins, 1151=1151 pins, and 1155=1155 pins. In the case of say 1150 vs 1155, even if you could get the CPU to fit, the functions of the pins have been switched around with LGA1150 because according to Intel, it improved efficiency. Because the functions of the pins are different on LGA1150 versus 1155, you would end up with a dead CPU.

So in some cases is it just companies trying to get you to spend more money?

I would imagine that making a customer spend more money just because isn't beneath Intel. I can't verify their efficiency claim since we have no way of actually testing it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

THE NUMBER OF PINS, CPU generation and technology on mobo(pci-e revision, ddr3 or ddr4, usb 2.0/3.0/3.1). That's it.

The difference isn't worth upgrading even from 1155 to 1151, unless you really,really want DDR4 or USB 3.1/type C.

Bulgarian, WoT nick- ivelinv8, War Thunder- BEST_NOOB_BG, GAMING PC: FX-4170; R9 280X TOXIC; 16 GB RAM; Fortron Raider 750W; Raidmax Helios case; WD Green 1TB. 50Mb/s + 50% bonus

What's the difference between LGA1150, 1151, 1155, and what would happen if you put a LGA1150 CPU in a LGA1151 socket? I mean, those three I just listed look identical from what I've seen, (I'm quite aware that it gets much more complex than that), so what makes them different?

The difference is pin count, and if you use the wrong CPU/socket, it will not work. You need to use the same socket.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

• 2 months later...

Imagine, people would change their motherboards for new features like USB 3.0, then USB 3.1, or DDR4, and Intel would not sell any new CPUs!

Of course, Intel changes the socket, at least partially, to ensure continuous sales. To think anything else is naive!

Keeping the cpu socket compatible would mean that everyone could upgrade ram and motherboards only, and not worry about cpus unless they really needed more speed which most people just don't. Since mostly everyone overclocks (with the right parts), and cpus do not get that much much faster with each generation, people would easily cheap out on the cpu, making Intel very sad.

Intel does it, everyone else does it, the world is evil and greedy :)

5950X • Asus B550-I • 32GB GSkill 3800 C14 • 3090FE • Samsung 990 Pro 2TB • Winter One • custom loop

It often looks that way but Intel started the socket change after LGA 775 since it became horribly confusing for users.

Because of the vast amount of options, and the mix of old and new floating around a lot of issues were coming up constantly. For instance Quad cores on early P35 and 680i chipsets or 775 boards that could only use the Pentium D. The mix of DDR2 and DDR3 boards did not help either.

It makes sense in both directions, money making and compatibility.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

....It makes sense in both directions, money making and compatibility.

Nope, not buying that one.

All I gotta say to that is this: LGA 2011

Nope, not buying that one.

All I gotta say to that is this: LGA 2011

Except that 2011 itself has gone through three revisions.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Except that 2011 itself has gone through three revisions.

Exactly my point, There's no need to change physical sockets for the sake of "compatibility"

I would imagine that making a customer spend more money just because isn't beneath Intel. I can't verify their efficiency claim since we have no way of actually testing it.

Exactly my point, There's no need to change physical sockets for the sake of "compatibility"

The older chipsets of the older sockets probably wouldn`t be able to support the newer CPUs, so making a new socket prevents people from getting a motherboard with an incompatible chipset.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

.........a new socket prevents people from getting a motherboard with an incompatible chipset.

True. 

The target market for LGA 2011 will actually read QVLs; the average consumer...not so much.

• 1 month later...

Is there a physical difference? So for like water cooling, can i use an all in one cooler (Cooler Master Nepton 140XL) that works for 1150 and it will work on my 1151 cpu?

Is there a physical difference? So for like water cooling, can i use an all in one cooler (Cooler Master Nepton 140XL) that works for 1150 and it will work on my 1151 cpu?

The mounting points are the same, so yes.

• 1 month later...

They are like those toddler toys/puzzles:

BR19eG9.jpg

Sure, maybe a ball will fit in the square hole but it is not how it is suppose to be.

So the CPU would just not work.

Your response has nothing to do with what the original question was asking. You must have a lot time on your hands to be able post this. lol :)

Not really. Not only they are not electrically or mechanically compatible, but the chipset of the board cannot handle the cpu anyway.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

The LGA stands for land grid array which is the style of sockets with the pins in the socket and little pads on the chip. As said the the 1151 etc is the number of pins.

The physical dimensions of the chips are very similar but they are not mechnically compatible. On the side of the socket there are little notches that mate with a corresponding cut out on the chip. Intel change the location of these notches between the different versions so the chip won't sit in the incorrect socket. The heatsink connection specifications are the same between all of them.

The 2011 sockets have a lot more pins because it takes a lot more connectors to support the 18 cores of the high end xeons. And more pins requires more physical space so the socket is a lot bigger.

I don't think intel change the sockets to make money, sometimes new chip features require different electrical connections. It probably also makes it a lot easier to deal with compatibility between architecture revisions as it physically stops people attempting combinations of chips and motherboards that just aren't designed to work together.