Can I turn my PS4 into a PC

owen.fitzpatrick

I bought a PS4 instead of a PC for BloodBorne and The Last of Us: Remastered (exclusives are possibly the worst things to happen to gaming, it's not fair not every gets to play a game because Sony paid the debs loads of money for it to be exclusive). I have since finished those games and would much prefer to use it as a PC (Linux is fine). Are there any parts I can keep in the process? Like the CPU/GPU or the RAM or will I have to sell the PS4 and start from scratch?

I don't think you understand how a ps4 and a pc works...

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Consoles are proprietary up the arse, and since Sony doesn't allow you to install Linux on their consoloes since about 2008 2010... I'd say you have to start from scratch.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Sony doesn't allow you to install Linux on their consoloes since about 2008

2010*

I bought a PS4 instead of a PC for BloodBorne and The Last of Us: Remastered (exclusives are possibly the worst things to happen to gaming, it's not fair not every gets to play a game because Sony paid the debs loads of money for it to be exclusive). I have since finished those games and would much prefer to use it as a PC (Linux is fine). Are there any parts I can keep in the process? Like the CPU/GPU or the RAM or will I have to sell the PS4 and start from scratch?

Some guy actually installed linux on his playstation, he got sued though...

Anyway, you can't build PC out of console.

Nope, you are better off selling it, saving some money, and building a PC ;)

I don't think you understand how a ps4 and a pc works...

There has been talk about how similar console are to PC. I knew the gddr5 ram wouldn't work but I was hoping the architecture was compatible. I guess I still got a mini itx chassis with a fan. Oh and a shitty HDD.

While consoles today may be more and more like PC's than not, they still are very, very different. They use similar components, but arranged, setup, and built in different ways with different uses. 

No, you cannot convert a ps4 to run any modern computer OS, it will simply not work.

I once tried installing windows onto an old 360 I had laying around. It's in a dump somewhere now, I couldn't care less, it was bricked the moment I tried to remove the integrated OS.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

As stated just sell it and save for a while and build a 500 dollar rig.

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

There has been talk about how similar console are to PC. I knew the gddr5 ram wouldn't work but I was hoping the architecture was compatible. I guess I still got a mini itx chassis with a fan. Oh and a shitty HDD.

They are similar in what they do and how they work.They use different interfaces,architectures and layout.I posted 2 pictures above i hope you can see why is not so simple

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Yep, as @Rusty_Shackleford said, if you really want a PC go ahead and sell your PS4 and games, then build a 500-600 dollar PC. It's what I did, and something you should consider. I think there may be some forum members who remember me asking if I should or shouldn't sell my PS4.

2010*

Point taken.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

for 400 you get decent i3 / r9 270 PC, or if you are buying used, you are getting like i5 3350p and gtx 770

for 400 you get decent i3 / r9 270 PC, or if you are buying used, you are getting like i5 3350p and gtx 770

I know what I can build in terms of a PC, was just hoping to squeeze some more use out of my ps4, it has a excellent chassis as well. As far as a new PC would go I would get an Athlon x4 860k and r9 270 new. As well as a used 500w PSU, 1TB HDD, motherboard and I have 8GB of ddr3 1333mhz ram.

I know what I can build in terms of a PC, was just hoping to squeeze some more use out of my ps4, it has a excellent chassis as well. As far as a new PC would go I would get an Athlon x4 860k and r9 270 new. As well as a used 500w PSU, 1TB HDD, motherboard and I have 8GB of ddr3 1333mhz ram.

I wouldn't buy used PSUs or HDD. HDD especially. Also, try and squeeze an i3. You won't regret it.

I wouldn't buy used PSUs or HDD. HDD especially. Also, try and squeeze an i3. You won't regret it.

That or the g3258

That or the g3258

nah, id rather have used i3 than pentium

i3 has much more stable framerate in GTA than overclocked pentium for example

Two different Worlds.

Short answer: No.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

As stated just sell it and save for a while and build a 500 dollar rig.

You can built an ok PC for that Money. No HighEnd, but still better than a Console.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

the HDD is off my old work PC's and I know they work. My friend sold me the PSU as he was upgrading. I know an i3 is better but only marginally and not worth the extra $30 and 4 physical cores is where it's at. Dual cores are pretty much obsolete (also HT helps)

the HDD is off my old work PC's and I know they work. My friend sold me the PSU as he was upgrading. I know an i3 is better but only marginally and not worth the extra $30 and 4 physical cores is where it's at. Dual cores are pretty much obsolete (also HT helps)

It is worth the extra money as the i3 will last longer most likely. Also, i3s do have hyperthreading.

I wouldn't sell it. I'd just keep it in case more games you like come out. What if there's a Bloodborne 2 (Maybe Demon Souls 2) or The Last of Us 2 comes out? I'm sure eventually something else you might like will come out Uncharted 4, God of War 4, some new IP or some IP you really like? If you want more use out of your PS4, you could get PS+ for some free games and you can use your PS4 as media player too.

Both PC's and consoles are computers. Consoles are turnkey (special purpose) machines and PC's are general purpose machines.

Due to what they were designed to do, consoles can perform all the basic functions that a PC can perform. From a purely technical standpoint, a console "could" be turned into a PC. That is to say, it could be turned into a general purpose machine.

Such a conversion would be time consuming. It would require a level of technical expertise (or access to such expertise) superior to that required to build a custom PC and ultimately be more expensive than just going out and buying a PC or building your own. Also, due to the hardware you are starting with, your console to PC conversion would be inferior to any PC you could purchase. There is also a problem with software. Most software would have to be recompiled to run on the converted console.

So while in theory it could be done, in practice it would just be an exercise in futility.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."