README: How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation

On 8/3/2013 at 9:11 AM, MG2R said:

Using a bent paperclip, short out the green wire on the 24 pin header with any of the black wires, like so.

Hey i'm looking through this guide because I'm weird like that and I noticed that the link under "so" does not work. do you have a working image or something to show the green wire being shorted?

On 6/3/2022 at 3:47 PM, james_castrello said:

Hey i'm looking through this guide because I'm weird like that and I noticed that the link under "so" does not work. do you have a working image or something to show the green wire being shorted?

Hey, thanks! Fixed it.

1 hour ago, MG2R said:

Hey, thanks! Fixed it.

Hey, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but...

image.thumb.png.90c2d609397b812863925cc3534e6be2.png

• 1 month later...

This is my checklist.

CPU Fans spinning/GPU --> skip power supply

Remove ram one at a time. When all of them are removed try to reseat using 2 ram sticks starting at the first then the third to check faulty ram.

Onboard graphics->Remove everything apart from power supply and cpu and try to access bios.

Check power supply.

Check Graphics card.

• 1 month later...

Really stumped here, any help is highly appreciated:) also apologize in advance if I missed any obvious taletell signs first time builder here 😛

Specs

CPU I7 12700k

GPU strix 3080 oc

Motherboard Asus strix B660a

Ram Corsair vengance 2x16 3600mhz

Storage evo970plus and barracuda 4tb

PSU thermatake GF1 argb 850w gold

AIO Kraken z53 

TLDR All parts power on (motherboard, ram, GPU, PSU, aio display temperature) fans working but PC cannot post more specifically QLEDs doesnt turn on 

So 1st time builder here, assembled all parts out into case, see lights on ram, GPU, fans, aio got excited but no display. Double checks HDMI cable firmly seated to GPU and rules out display issue. Takes system out of case to do post test. Removes GPU and all storage but same issue all parts light up has power but no post or QLED. Removes aio and CPU to check for bent pins and if it is seated correctly with triangle matching, it checks out so rule out CPU issue. Reapplys thermal paste as original one dried from aio. Reseated both rams and tried booting with one ram in correct alot, same issue so ram ruled out. Tried clearing CMos but issue persists. All power cables are plugged in 8+4 pin for cpu up top, 24 pin, and PCIe for GPU.

Sorry for long post, I figured I give as much info to rule out some issues. 🙏🙏🙏 Thanks in advance y'all, I'm literally pulling my hair out Tryna get it to boot:')

20220914_094418.jpg

20220914_094343.jpg

20220914_094339.jpg

20220914_094412.jpg

20220914_094402.jpg

20220914_094350.jpg

On 9/14/2022 at 1:46 AM, xsequtioner said:

Really stumped here, any help is highly appreciated:) also apologize in advance if I missed any obvious taletell signs first time builder here 😛

<snip>

I know this is not what you want to hear but, please, read before posting. Literally the first sentence in this entire thread is highlighted red and reads:

REMINDER: this thread is not to ask questions about your PC. Please create a NEW thread if you still have issues after going through this thread.

To get help, you should create a new thread. Burying your request for help on page 5 of a general how-to-debug thread will not get you any eyes and at the same time makes it harder for me to figure out if the information in the OP needs fixing (yes, I do try to keep it up-to-date based on helpful tips posted here)

When creating your new thread, make sure you've already tried every step in the OP. Chances are it'll indicate your problem already.

Good luck!

Hello, I am hoping to find support here.

so I wondering if my motherboard is just completely dead. It’s a z370-s01 m-atx.

I have tryed powering it on but no response from the system. not even a led light up for errors.

so now I am wondering if this motherboards bios is blocking its start up due to cpu compatibility. For example the bios only supports i3-8100, i5-8400, or i7-8700.

I am using an i5-8500, even if there is a cpu compatibility problem should the system at

least run elecity through it and power on leds and fans?

i am

getting nothing , is it dead?

I have tested the basic operation components cpu, ram in other motherboards and they boot fine.

On 9/21/2022 at 12:35 PM, Randodando said:

<snip>

I know this is not what you want to hear but, please, read before posting. Literally the first sentence in this entire thread is highlighted red and reads:

REMINDER: this thread is not to ask questions about your PC. Please create a NEW thread if you still have issues after going through this thread.

To get help, you should create a new thread. Burying your request for help on page 5 of a general how-to-debug thread will not get you any eyes and at the same time makes it harder for me to figure out if the information in the OP needs fixing (yes, I do try to keep it up-to-date based on helpful tips posted here)

When creating your new thread, make sure you've already tried every step in the OP. Chances are it'll indicate your problem already.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi. 

I've just upgraded an old 3rd gen hp 3800 sff . Upgraded from i5 to i7 CPU. Installed 1050ti low profile graphic card.

It has 16 GB ram.

Evo 440 SSD

Linux os (pop) 64 bit.

I now have a problem in which the fan starts as normal then goes into overdrive when the monitor, refuses to go any further than just turn on then off.

So, I took out the graphic card same thing happened.( As the monitor via hdmi was plugged into it).

Tried hdmi and display port cables on the graphic card then on the motherboard still same problem. So I'm stuck as to what to do next. 

The CPU cooler? I had to take it off as to get the card in and put back. Just asking if there is a set way the cooler should be on top of the CPU?.

Maybe the motherboard itself having six kitten's with the upgrade. Would there be anything from the motherboard I need to look at? 

I don't have another computer or laptop to try out the card, but as the same problem exist for both card and pc I don't think that's the problem.

Soooo If anyone can point me in the right direction to how to get the pc fix that would be lovely.

Edited by Cimadbatioz66
Missed out information.

20221116_110221.thumb.jpg.6d51ffeb72e1f12c3df9bf46c72d814d.jpg

On 12/29/2014 at 1:56 PM, newjanson said:

I had this problem before. The motherboard was shorting out because I screwed it right into the case. So someone shoud add "make sure you didn't screwed the motherboard right into the case and shorted out the system"

Ok - so I have a case and the board - its a mATX board - and only 2 standoffs are alligned in the case and I am using those plus stand-offs I installed. I installed my own stand-offs - When you say you "screwed the motherboard right into the case" I am not sure what that is or how to understand if one of my installed standoffs is causing the issue? I will remove all the stand-offs I installed and just see if the board with post with the two that align. I am using a Dell case 5680 with a 5676 AMD board. The case I purchased was told was an AMD case but after further investigation the case is for the 5680 Dell Intel and the factory stand-offs don't all align with the 5675 Dell AMD board. That is where I am at. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I propose an addition to the no POST list:

Try disconnecting all peripheral devices including your keyboard. I just had a situation where the PC wouldn't boot until I disconnected the keyboard. This is technically covered by item 12 on the list, but I didn't think of the keyboard in that situation because that tip is more focused on removing the hard drive and GPU, so removing the keyboard as well didn't occur to me.

See this thread where I was helped with my problem:

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2022 at 1:17 AM, Steven Schaefer said:

I propose an addition to the no POST list:

Try disconnecting all peripheral devices including your keyboard.

wow, super interesting. Thanks for the feedback, I’ll update the post 🙂 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/8/2023 at 2:23 AM, MG2R said:

Updated OP to include a step for trying VGA out if the motherboard provides it. 

Thx! Do you mind updating the OP to add a step [don't have to use my words, but thought I'd give you a rough draft]:

• If you are using any riser cables for the GPU, remove them and connect the GPU directly to the motherboard
    • If that's impossible, ensure that you set the PCI-E x16 slot for the GPU to PCI-E 3.0 and check if it boots

There is approximately a 117% chance I edited my post.

Please refresh before you reply.

Did a post solve your issue?  Please mark it as the solution!

8 hours ago, problemsolver said:

• If you are using any riser cables for the GPU, remove them and connect the GPU directly to the motherboard
    • If that's impossible, ensure that you set the PCI-E x16 slot for the GPU to PCI-E 3.0 and check if it boots

Reworded a bit to make it fit the rest of the instructions and to take into account you can’t edit bios settings when the system is not POSTing.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 9/21/2022 at 4:05 PM, Randodando said:

Hello, I am hoping to find support here.

so I wondering if my motherboard is just completely dead. It’s a z370-s01 m-atx.

I have tryed powering it on but no response from the system. not even a led light up for errors.

so now I am wondering if this motherboards bios is blocking its start up due to cpu compatibility. For example the bios only supports i3-8100, i5-8400, or i7-8700.

I am using an i5-8500, even if there is a cpu compatibility problem should the system at

least run elecity through it and power on leds and fans?

i am

getting nothing , is it dead?

I have tested the basic operation components cpu, ram in other motherboards and they boot fine.

Yes, the Z370-S01 M-ATx motherboard supports the i5-8500 CPU. According to the MSI website, the Z370-S01 M-ATx motherboard supports the following CPUs:

• 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i9/i7/i5/i3 Processors
  • 9th Gen Intel® Core™ i9/i7/i5 Processors

The i5-8500 is an 8th Gen Intel Core i5 CPU, so it is supported by the Z370-S01 M-ATx motherboard.

I would advise to check if any lights on the power supply 
if no lights then it is likely an issue with power supply which inturn results in MB not powering on
Could be a compatible power supply issue as well if you are using anything lower than 450w

This is because the i5-8500 has a TDP of 65 watts and the Z370-S01 M-ATX motherboard has a TDP of 25 watts. This means that the total power consumption of the system will be around 90 watts.

• 4 months later...

Had a mini heart attack this morning when my pc wouldn't boot. I went to clean it out, and reapplied thermal paste to my cooler, but when I went to turn it back on, it shut down almost immediate because my dumb ass forgot to plug the pump back in. For some reason, even after plugging it back in, giving it time to cool down, and re-seating everything for troubleshooting, I just couldn't get a signal. Was going to make a post but found this, saw the step about booting with only a single RAM stick. First stick I pulled out, same issue, put it back in and pulled the other one out and somehow it magically worked? Now currently running both sticks and no issues, and much cooler because the paste was dried out... Thanks for this post saving my sanity today.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core 3.7 GHz Socket AM4 105W || NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler || MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard || CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) || SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4 || SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 || Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive || MSI RTX 3080 GAMING Z TRIO 10G LHR || Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black ATX Flexible Dark Tinted Tempered Glass Window || Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular || Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit || Logitech - G502 Proteus Core Wireless Optical Mouse || Input Club K-Type w/ Ajazz Kiwi Switches