"Downgrade" from DX12 to DX11?

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if I can "downgrade" from DirectX version 12 to version 11 because I've just installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 and it automatically installed DirectX 12 for me on my system which has a 750 Ti. So far, I've seen some bits of benefits here and there, but overall, it's causing some issues, especially with DirectX hang in BF4. Is there a way that I can go back to DirectX 11 for now or at least force the programs I want to use DX11? Thanks.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if I can "downgrade" from DirectX version 12 to version 11 because I've just installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 and it automatically installed DirectX 12 for me on my system which has a 750 Ti. So far, I've seen some bits of benefits here and there, but overall, it's causing some issues, especially with DirectX hang in BF4. Is there a way that I can go back to DirectX 11 for now or at least force the programs I want to use DX11? Thanks.

All systems with a higher directx version always run the lower directx versions AND BF4 should automatically run in DX 12, If it where steam I could tell you how to force a directx version but since its origin I cannot 

Games use the api they were designed in, skyrim uses dx9 on Windows 10 and bf4 will use dx11, their is probably another problem with win 10 that is causing the hanging

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Games use the api they were designed in, skyrim uses dx9 on Windows 10 and bf4 will use dx11, their is probably another problem with win 10 that is causing the hanging

Well with windows 10, I am getting a LOT of driver crashes and stability issues... for battlefield, even when I run NO overclock, it wouldn't even let me boot the game! Dx will hang and I have to ctrlaltdel to get to task manager. If I really want to play the game though, I have to run it at a -221mhz UNDERCLOCK! Also, for games like DCS, the driver constantly crash and then recovers every 3 or 4 seconds... is this a windows 10 problem that is fixable?

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

All systems with a higher directx version always run the lower directx versions AND BF4 should automatically run in DX 12, If it where steam I could tell you how to force a directx version but since its origin I cannot 

I'm curious, how do you force a game to run a lower directx version for steam?

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

I'm curious, how do you force a game to run a lower directx version for steam?

Right click properties, launch options  -dxlevel (directx version you want to run on 7-12)0 

so if you wanted to run DX12 -dxlevel120 or something like that

DX 9 looks like -dxlevel 90

Right click properties, launch options  -dxlevel (directx version you want to run on 7-12)0 

alright great, thanks. I know how to do this on origin :)

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

There aren't any games that support DX12 yet... You're still using DX11

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Seems like a driver issue. Not related to DX12 or windows 10.

I understand your pain man. Windows 10 has caused my G-sync to mess up. In games I sometimes get frame jumps all the way into the 300s, then it drops back down to 144. :/ It's almost as if G-sync is failing every few minutes.

I'm going to punch your face- IN THE FACE.

There aren't any games that support DX12 yet... You're still using DX11

^

This.

Your games are not using DX12, BF4 is still a DX11 game and will be running on DX10, this seems to be a software or issue specific to your hardware, as most people are playing games just fine on W10

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Try reinstalling your drivers.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Your games are not using DX12, BF4 is still a DX11 game and will be running on DX10, this seems to be a software or issue specific to your hardware, as most people are playing games just fine on W10

I've literally had no problems running on windows 7. After fresh installing windows 10 with the newest graphics drivers (nvidia windows 10 drivers) then i started getting these problems. I guess I'll try reinstalling like what vortexS suggested

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

Try reinstalling your drivers.

Aha, it seems like reinstalling the graphic driver fixed most of the things... my games actually get good fps now and directx doesn't even hang in bf4 even when I'm running a massive overclock!

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • Corsair TX750M

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • TrackIR 4

Aha, it seems like reinstalling the graphic driver fixed most of the things... my games actually get good fps now and directx doesn't even hang in bf4 even when I'm running a massive overclock!

I had the same problem as well. I'd also sugges to reinstall your audio drivers and update other drivers if neccesary to Windows 10 versions. Fixed a couple of annoying things for me.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

• 1 year later...
On 8/5/2015 at 11:37 PM, Guest said:

Right click on properties on what? (steam, the game, or what?)