X99 PC Freezes Repetetively. No BSOD

dylanjodom
Go to solution Solved by dylanjodom,

Problem solved. I had a bent pin on my motherboard. The computer has been stable for 36 hours. Thanks everyone for the help.

Hi World,

Hope you're having a nice day.

A couple of weeks ago I built my PC:

Intel X99 5820K Processor: Overclocked to 4.5GHz and Voltage is at 1.3V.

Asus X99-A Mobo. Updated BIOS

Crucial Ballistic 16GB 2400MHz DDR4

Corsair RM750W PSU

GT 73O

GT 240

H100i

120GB SSD

WD 2TB Blue

TP-Link WiFi PCIe Adapter

The problem happened on Windows 8 x64 and Windows 10 x64.

The overclock is very stable with max temps at 80*C and the problem persists without it.

The problem is that very often, (every 20 mins or so) the computer would freeze completely. It responds to nothing. Sometimes there is a loud grunge sound out of the speakers but it only happens once a day or so.

The problem seems to occur very often while using the internet but it has occured while idling for hours. It seems to be a very random occurence.

When I restart the computer, it usually tells me that the overclock has failed and that I need to update my settings but this occurs even with no overclock at all. Not even the auto-Overclocker.

I have no error codes to work off of as there are no BSODs. This is also a fresh install of Windows with very few programs installed and they are all trusted: Adobe Suite, VLC, etc...

As you can imaging this is very annoying as I use my computer for VFX and losing my recent updates and having to restart is a real pain.

Anyway, thanks in advance,

Dylan

How long have you let it freeze for?

One time my overclock was unstable and it froze for 3 mintutes before finally showing the BSOD so it might be your overclock

EDIT: Read it happens without it nvm D:

Try resetting your cmos

80C temps?! That's not good for a CPU. Try resetting to stock clocks and see if the problem persists. Make sure your SSD firmware is up to date, I had this happen to me before. And upgrade your GPU, good lord...

Hi World,

Hope you're having a nice day.

A couple of weeks ago I built my PC:

Intel X99 5820K Processor: Overclocked to 4.5GHz and Voltage is at 1.3V.

Asus X99-A Mobo. Updated BIOS

Crucial Ballistic 16GB 2400MHz DDR4

Corsair RM750W PSU

GT 73O

GT 240

H100i

120GB SSD

WD 2TB Blue

TP-Link WiFi PCIe Adapter

The problem happened on Windows 8 x64 and Windows 10 x64.

The overclock is very stable with max temps at 80*C and the problem persists without it.

The problem is that very often, (every 20 mins or so) the computer would freeze completely. It responds to nothing. Sometimes there is a loud grunge sound out of the speakers but it only happens once a day or so.

The problem seems to occur very often while using the internet but it has occured while idling for hours. It seems to be a very random occurence.

When I restart the computer, it usually tells me that the overclock has failed and that I need to update my settings but this occurs even with no overclock at all. Not even the auto-Overclocker.

I have no error codes to work off of as there are no BSODs. This is also a fresh install of Windows with very few programs installed and they are all trusted: Adobe Suite, VLC, etc...

As you can imaging this is very annoying as I use my computer for VFX and losing my recent updates and having to restart is a real pain.

Anyway, thanks in advance,

Dylan

80°C is quite high for a max temperature, but shouldn't damage it.

A pure freeze (no BSOD) with static sound from the speakers is very likely a motherboard failure (your speakers are connected to the mobo, yes?)

A motherboard can overheat too, but they don't often have sensors on them, you should check that out.

Edit: Multiple GPU setups draw more power from the motherboard, so it could be a power issue, try removing one of those horrible GPUs :)

Yeah. Thanks. I know they're horrible but all I use them for is driving 2 monitors both with VGA. I work on After Effects so the CPU is key. I will try removing one of the graphics cards and I'll keep you posted!

I took out the 2nd graphics card and it kept freezing. Now I took out the WiFi Adapter to see if that is the problem.

I had a similar issue with my Sabertooth x79 a few years ago. I did a BIOS update and it stopped, might work for you.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K OC @ 4.4 GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 | GPU: 2x SLI Gigabyte GTX 760 | RAM: Mushkin Redline 2x4GB 1866 | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 750W | Storage: A-Data XPG 120GB  & WD Blue 1TB | OS: Arch GNU/Linux || PC Part Picker & 3D Mark Score

My BIOS is the latest version available on their website. Also, it still crashes without the PCIE WiFi adapter. :(

I have no overclock whatsoever right now and I am still having the problem. I am now trying several different graphics cards in several different slots to see if I have a mobo problem.

Any other suggestions? This is really annoying me as this is a media production PC and I can't have it keep crashing every 20 mins!

Tried both GPUs in different slots and still crashes. Now I took out a stick of RAM making it an 8GB system.

Problem solved. I had a bent pin on my motherboard. The computer has been stable for 36 hours. Thanks everyone for the help.