Download Window 10 ISO and do fresh install instead of "free" upgrade path.

Arct1c0n
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

WARNINGS

• If you use this tool to force a Windows 10 install. You are asking for trouble. Microsoft is blocking systems that aren't Windows 10 ready yet, due to driver issues. Your copy that you reserved is there, and probably already downloaded on your system. The "Get Windows 10" app, will tell that that Microsoft is validating your device. Forcing the install (which you can do via a command line, no need of the above tool), will result with a system that works and all, but lots of bugs related to drivers. Sleep issue, Wake-up issues, fast boot not working, graphical glitches, multiple monitor problem, etc. The reason for the hold is that Microsoft is trying to avoid a Vista-effect, where people upgraded their system, but due to the lack of quality and optimized drivers they got poor performance, and experienced lots of bugs and BSODs.

• Use the tool mentioned, without having prior upgrading your system, you will not be able to activate Windows 10. You need to upgrade the system to Windows 10 FIRST.

• If you have Windows 10 Insider Preview, and it is fully updated (See Windows Updates), then you have the same build as the official release already. Build 10240 is the final build of Windows.

Even OEM keys?

In theory, long as its not Enterpise/business keys

Repost times atleast 7-8.  Not even worth giving the links, theres too many

QQ more?

I tried this on my laptop earlier today.

Tried using my existing win 8 key during install, didn't accept it so I just skipped that part.  It installed completely on my laptop.

And then it just wouldn't activate...

I then rolled back to Windows 8.  After Windows 8 reinstalled, I got the Windows 10 is Ready notice right away.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

I tried this on my laptop.

Tried using my existing win 8 key during install, didn't accept it so I just skipped that part.  It installed completely on my laptop.

And then it just wouldn't activate...

I then rolled back to Windows 8.  After Windows 8 reinstalled, I got the Windows 10 is Ready notice right away.

Hmm, thats good know if its indeed broken or faulty

You cannot use your Windows 7 or 8.1 key with this download for a clean install.  You have to update the key to Windows 10 first, pull the key using one of the many tools then reformat to do a clean install with the new key

Hmm, thats good know if its indeed broken or faulty

Use our original Windows 8 key correct? Im going to wipe my SSD and HDD today and do a clean install. 

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

You cannot use your Windows 7 or 8.1 key with this download for a clean install.  You have to update the key to Windows 10 first, pull the key using one of the many tools then reformat to do a clean install with the new key

Seeings how your on a correction crusade, go ahead and inform Microsoft of their critical error on this and get back to us. 

Seeings how your on a correction crusade, go ahead and inform Microsoft of their critical error on this and get back to us. 

Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning.  You have to upgrade your key first, you can use the ISO to upgrade.  People have already tried using their old keys and it doesn't work.

-snip-

Worked fine for me :)

If you want to clean install you MUST upgrade first then reinstall again using your windows key.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

"If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer."

No need, what @DEDRICK said is what Microsoft tell you to do.

So what about windows insiders. i have the final insiders release 10240 says active no expiration date. Can i re install with iso or will i loose my activation. Right now it doesnt say im.in insider where i update.

Ha! I guess that's what I get for not waiting for the install notice.

The problem was I was trying to use the ISO to upgrade and it just won't let me on my laptop so I jumped straight to clean install.

It's all good now though.  I rolled back my laptop to Win8 and finally got the upgrade notice this afternoon and going through its motions.

I'll try upgrading my main rig and my frankenserver tonight with the ISO.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

no, it doesn't work

once installed, the system info states the licence is not activated and I can't use the W8.1 key - reverting back to W8.1 install

WARNINGS

• If you use this tool to force a Windows 10 install. You are asking for trouble. Microsoft is blocking systems that aren't Windows 10 ready yet, due to driver issues. Your copy that you reserved is there, and probably already downloaded on your system. The "Get Windows 10" app, will tell that that Microsoft is validating your device. Forcing the install (which you can do via a command line, no need of the above tool), will result with a system that works and all, but lots of bugs related to drivers. Sleep issue, Wake-up issues, fast boot not working, graphical glitches, multiple monitor problem, etc. The reason for the hold is that Microsoft is trying to avoid a Vista-effect, where people upgraded their system, but due to the lack of quality and optimized drivers they got poor performance, and experienced lots of bugs and BSODs.

• Use the tool mentioned, without having prior upgrading your system, you will not be able to activate Windows 10. You need to upgrade the system to Windows 10 FIRST.

• If you have Windows 10 Insider Preview, and it is fully updated (See Windows Updates), then you have the same build as the official release already. Build 10240 is the final build of Windows.

no, it doesn't work

once installed, the system info states the licence is not activated and I can't use the W8.1 key - reverting back to W8.1 install

What a crock of shit. I knew it was too good to be true, typical MS angle bullshit never changes. 

What a crock of shit. I knew it was too good to be true, typical MS angle bullshit never changes. 

how is it Microsoft fault he screwed up?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

this seriously got me thinking of buying a straight up W10 retail licence for my desktop instead of using the free upgrade path

I'll keep using the insider build as long as I can

how is it Microsoft fault he screwed up?

what did I screw up?!

someone here on the forums said he did it and I wanted to be sure it can or it can't be done - it can't

You can use the tool to upgrade and create bootable USB drives and discs, but you have to upgrade to Windows 10 first because you can do a clean install.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

what did I screw up?!

someone here on the forums said he did it and I wanted to be sure it can or it can't be done - it can't

I mean in a sense if you try and work around microsoft solution to bring win 10 and have issues it is your fault, it was not directed at you but what he said about Microsoft.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I wonder how much extra load all these people forcing the update or downloading the ISO is putting on MS servers. 

I am in no hurry and my update has even started yet, I think I will wait and see how long it takes to start.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I mean in a sense if you try and work around microsoft solution to bring win 10 and have issues it is your fault, it was not directed at you but what he said about Microsoft.

people are trying workarounds because stuff is happening and MS isn't giving any details on why

right now MS is prepping for a celebration while W10 is only technically released, in practice ..... you're better off directly buying a W10 licence