HEX GEAR R40 Engineering station - Final pics on page 5

p0Pe

Trust me i would fight.

Haha, as long as you do not break anything:P

Sooo... I know that I started this project by saying that it was going to be a "simple workstation"... I do not know if I actually believed that myself as my projects has a tendency to get complicated as I get ideas for them.

So, I present the distributing plate for this build. Every component inside the case will lead to this plate. There is 4 chambers that routes the fluid around, and I am so looking forward to filling this up with fluid!

I still need to sand, and polish the part, but the machining done by Peter Uhrskov Berg is just perfect, so should be very easy!

Milling time including programming and setup = 5 hours.

CpJ5fe9.jpg

It all started out like this. When working with acrylic, fixing it in the mill is key, since it can start vibrating, and you will not get a smooth finish. The mill we used is about as old as me, but still does the trick!

VnLqwah.jpg

Finished part with the 6 mm lasercut plate that holds the fittings, and closes it up. The 6 mm plate is not the same size as the distributing plate itself, but is made as an inlay so that there is no visible lines from the outside (as there would be if it where two plates of the same size bolted to each other)

A9XoV20.jpg

From the business end:D

boe7AYv.jpg

And mounted on the case. The bolts will be swapped out with some better looking ones. I might even do the same as Martin "MaTo" Jespersen did in his R40 with red washers and black bolts, as it just looks so damn good!

ImGiFfa.jpg

Last money shot. Imagine this with red fluid:D I think it will end up looking quite nice!

Next up is mounting o-rings and closing it up. I already bought some o-rings, but one of them was glued together which I am not a big fan of, so I ordered a new one that should be here Wednesday! 

ok... speachless... :)

Haha Thanks man. Should be even better when I actually get some fluid in there!

Next up is mounting o-rings and closing it up. I already bought some o-rings, but one of them was glued together which I am not a big fan of, so I ordered a new one that should be here Wednesday!

How do you measure the size of o-ring you need? I've been curious about how I would do something like a custom res myself. Also, my mind is blown.

I really hope my school gets cool machines where I can do stuff like this :)

We do have 3D printers and Laser Cutters, but I need something that can do this..

You have no idea how much this picture confused me. 

Haha same i was so confused until i saw the screws facing up. The liquid just flows into another dimension...

Just a normal guy with a constant desire to modify everything he owns. 

Check out my current build here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006447-the-cake-is-a-lie-water-cooled-portal-pc/

Sooo... I know that I started this project by saying that it was going to be a "simple workstation"... I do not know if I actually believed that myself as my projects has a tendency to get complicated as I get ideas for them.

DAAAAMMMNNNN....!!!

U gotta be kiddin me!!

I'm soooo... With u!

Wut?

How do you measure the size of o-ring you need? I've been curious about how I would do something like a custom res myself. Also, my mind is blown.

Quite simple actually

tWyTrfI.png

Just take the circumference of the o-ring slot and then calculate the diameter of the o-ring I need to use.

You have no idea how much this picture confused me. 

I have not no:D

I really hope my school gets cool machines where I can do stuff like this :)

We do have 3D printers and Laser Cutters, but I need something that can do this..

First step is to learn how to draw parts so they are ready for manufacturing. Once you know how to do that, you can always outsource parts if you have no way of making them yourself, or have friends help you.

Haha same i was so confused until i saw the screws facing up. The liquid just flows into another dimension...

Yeah, that block has a pretty good mirror finish:P

That distribution plate on the back looks amazing.

Thanks man! I also cannot wait until everything needs to be leak tested!

DAAAAMMMNNNN....!!!

U gotta be kiddin me!!

I'm soooo... With u!

Stay put, it will only get better:D

Quality stuff...thumbs up

Thanks Baldee!

A few people has asked about how I made the lit up front panel for the R40 ROG edition. On this one, I have made something a bit similar, and will show exactly how it was done.

This will make sure that the front panel is completely lit up nicely, and evenly.

Vl6U5FK.jpg

The entire thing is cut from a standard accent pack in chili red frosted acrylic. In the sides are cut two slots that perfectly fits Darkside Computer Modding ridgid led strips. They are expensive as hell, but since they are only slightly above 5 mm wide, they are the ones that fits best with the 5 mm sheet of acrylic.

S1QqYfl.jpg

The wires for the led strip goes trough this channal, and out on the other side.

BNw6LYo.jpg

Right now the wires are hidden under the aquaero, but will be connected to the two 12v ports on the aquaero, so that they can be controlled via it.

nn5KGh4.jpg

How the front looks with the metal panel put on. All the cuts are of course hidden, so nothing will be visible once mounted.

More to come soon!

This build is astonishingly beautiful..

Cant wait to see it finished

LMG following is a way of life... :D

That's a pretty cool way of lighting up the front panel.

Thanks man! I used it for my ROG mod, and it works quite well.

This build is astonishingly beautiful..

Cant wait to see it finished

Thanks man! Glad you like it.

Update!

Finally done with this thing! Got the last o-ring home today, along with some industrial grade screws.

Nice to finally be able to mount this one. Next up is to see if it leaks or nor (of course it does not)

hDNAmch.jpg

Center piece that will connect the GPU´s and CPU.

P9UTaMN.jpg

And a closeup of the o-ring inside. There should be enough screws to safely hold the 6 mm acrylic "top" in place. In this picture you can also see how the 6 mm plate is made to lay "flush" with the main block, so that when viewed from the side you will not see several plates bolted together.

3tx5Etu.jpg

T9xMJ1V.jpg

More shots of the block.

IJuSwO1.jpg

The 3 plates that will go on the back.

7Nobfmi.jpg

First the metal plate with the PCI bracket is mounted on top of the distributing plate. The hardline fittings fits exactly trough 8 holes in this, and the acrylic plate behind it. The thought is that all components inside the case are routed to these fittings, and then the plate itself transfers the fluid around to the next component.

FiWgkzn.jpg

Mounted! Stiill waiting on other bolts though!

09WCR5O.jpg

Also got the graphic cards blocked up, and ready to be mounted so that I can get started on the hard tube setup.

cgyToyZ.jpg

awDzOs5.jpg

Really love the look of an terminal block connecting cards like this.

GOz5Y5S.jpg

Last shot of the rear side. Not that the GPU´s has been mounted:D

[removed]

Really love those plates with the cabling coming up through! Been thinking of doing this for years but haven't gotten the time for it or known where to start haha.

Made a "rigged wire cabling harness" for a friend a couple of years ago that actually turned out nicely xD (was for a cars basic wiring going from 6V to all 12V all over without yanking the old harness out) same concept with the individual holes as a starting point!

Edited by Godlygamer23
Removed images from quoted post.
i7 4790K@4.5GHz-1.15V, BeQuiet! SR2, Asrock z97e-itx/ac, Kingston  Fury 16GB@1866MHz, GTX 670 2GB, 3x ssdNOW300V 300ishGB, Bitfenix Prodigy, OCZ ZT 750W Twittwit@enRodjavel

Love it!

Are those bolts holding the rear connector plate on, placeholders? They look a bit bulky. :D

Also, any plans to paint the rear I/O of the graphics cards black?

c u r r e n t  /  ROG MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULA  /  I7-12700K  /  2080TI  /  32GB DDR5  /  LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC

Z170 STINGER  /  6700K  /  TITAN X  /  32GB DDR4  /  NZXT MANTA  /  j u i c e b o x  build log

nohasslemods 

Really love those plates with the cabling coming up through! Been thinking of doing this for years but haven't gotten the time for it or known where to start haha.

Made a "rigged wire cabling harness" for a friend a couple of years ago that actually turned out nicely xD (was for a cars basic wiring going from 6V to all 12V all over without yanking the old harness out) same concept with the individual holes as a starting point!

Could you please edit your post, so that you do not quote all of the pictures as well?

And yeah, I really like the concept of putting the wires trough a plate like this. I actually started doing just this in 2009 with my PC-Beto mod.

15.JPG

Love it!

Are those bolts holding the rear connector plate on, placeholders? They look a bit bulky. :D

Also, any plans to paint the rear I/O of the graphics cards black?

Bolts are a placeholder for sure! I got some red ones incoming to match the theme, but they where delayd, and will not be here before tuesday :( I will keep the I/O of the graphic cards in the silver color as I like the contrast, and it transfers really well with the raw aluminium profiles vs the black case. (Also, they will be upgraded in the near future)

Thanks man! I used it for my ROG mod, and it works quite well.

Thanks man! Glad you like it.

Update!

Come..

Lemme hug u...

So you're going with hard tubing? That's going to look awesome.

I sure am! Almost done with it also:D So expect updates soon!

Epic  :o

Thanks Colin!

holy... can't believe this build just keeps getting more and more awesome. i'den pay you to build my next system if 80% of the fun wasn't building it :)

Haha yeah, building is all the fun! A bit enraging here and there, but mostly fun!

Come..

Lemme hug u...

Bring it on! I am a fan of hugs.

Wow...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."