[Massdrop] Objective 2 Headphone Amp - $70

79wjd

EDIT: 

It isn't built to spec, they broke the CCL (Creative Commons Licence) and re-engineered the circuit to produce it cheaper. It will sound worse than a genuine build. This isn't technically an O2, but a copy of one.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-amplifier?mode=guest_open

MD-9638_20150721012134_66cff2be777f1212.

I don't know much about audio, but it seems to be a pretty decent deal. Keep in mind though, this isn't the model produced by JDSLabs (which are normally $130~), but instead it is produced by a Chinese manufacturer copying (and supposedly built to) the same spec.....So, I guess it could go either way in terms of quality/performance.  

It comes with a two-year Massdrop warranty and it will be shipped out by September 14th (free shipping to the US).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

It isn't built to spec, they broke the CCL (Creative Commons Licence) and re-engineered the circuit to produce it cheaper. It will sound worse than a genuine build. This isn't technically an O2, but a copy of one.

I bet many will jump onto this deal just because it's an 'O2 amp' and priced much lower than the legit one.

wouldn't that be something to let that community know and understand?

this way Massdrop can keep integrity in items they are sponsoring.

voted by others that may have been mis-informed.

wouldn't that be something to let that community know and understand?

this way Massdrop can keep integrity in items they are sponsoring.

voted by others that may have been mis-informed.

Yeah, they should have done a better job (or one at all) about distinguishing this from the JDSL version, but if you check the first page of the discussion it was mentioned a bit...so on one hand, people need to learn to do their own due diligence (some personal responsibility is a good thing), but on the other hand, it still makes MD look bad... 

/I'd also go further than to say they're sponsoring it, since I believe they're the ones who are funding this specific design to be made (i.e. this item is JUST being sold to/by MD) -- so even more of a reason for them to be clear about it (since they couldn't exactly be confused about it themselves even). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I wouldn't pay $70 for a cheap knock off. I might as well buy a $30 PCI sound card instead.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

Exactly. It's the same thing at Walmart. They'll have their own brand next to the name brand one. Hopefully people will realize what they are buying after this first round.

Why your replies on the Drop are gone though? 

It's the same spec and based on the original design, there's no reason to assume it will be worst just because it's from China. Also, seeing how JDSlabs made o2+odac revb, the CCL might have been expired. 

Why not make a deal with massdrop and try to get your legitimate product up there? There will no doubt be tons of buyers.

In fact I was eyeing your products before making the dive with a beginner Schitt setup. It was the price that forced me to make the purchase.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Why not make a deal with massdrop and try to get your legitimate product up there? There will no doubt be tons of buyers.

In fact I was eyeing your products before making the dive with a beginner Schitt setup. It was the price that forced me to make the purchase.

He's already had his amp on massdrop like 10 times :P

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

No, they broke the CCL, and they don't expire.

Notice how all of the genuine O2's have an orange or red LED, and the massdrop one is blue? They had to re-engineer the power circuit to change the LED.

edit - JDS labs didn't make the ODAC Rev B. Yoyodyneconsulting makes and sells the boards. That is also the ODAC, not the O2.

I see, but I don't get how Rev B is allowed and this is not? Still, there's no reason that suggests the massdrop version will be any worst than the original.

The ODAC is a different product. This is the o2.

It will sound worse, the components they used will degrade the audio path.

Alright, apparently NwAvGuy only have CCL on o2 but odac was co-designed. But again, the diy kit to build an o2 is $70 for sale individually through JDSLabs with added overhead cost I'm sure. Almost half the o2 cost is just labor, but with the massdrop version being manufactured in China and produced in large quantity they saved a bunch there. You're from Mayflower so I'm sure you know more about the o2 better than anyone else, but no one have tried this version yet so why are you so certain that these will be worst than the original? It's not unbelievable for these components to be cheaper, I'm more surprised how the o2 been selling at their current price for so long with amps like magni 2 in the market.

Edit: Also looking at the components, it's just a bunch of caps and resistors, no way are they cost more than 20-30 bucks to make.

In NwAvGuy blog he states that the parts are only $25, "In this case, with as little as $25 worth of parts, you can have a headphone amp that rivals the headphone output of the Benchmark DAC1 Pre in blind listening tests." - "$150 FULLY ASSEMBLED & COMPLETE: An experienced USA DIY builder is offering to sell complete O2 amps for around $150 with everything included. Made in China it could easily be $99 or less."

link: here

That was four years ago, I'm sorry but Massdrop is just realizing NwAvGuy goal to produce a cheap non-bs product for consumers.

The ODAC is a different product. This is the o2.

It will sound worse, the components they used will degrade the audio path.

Actually, I should have asked this first... How do you know they're using cheaper components and changing the design? I'm sure no company would be stupid enough to risk breaking CCL, it's just not worth it for Massdrop. I see nothing on the Massdrop page, or anywhere on headfi or /r/headphones that claimed this is anything other than the original PCB design. The only thing they changed is the case.

Edit: After reading through Massdrop comments, was this seriously stemmed from the led being blue instead of red and then people start making wild speculation...?

Actually, I should have asked this first... How do you know they're using cheaper components and changing the design? I'm sure no company would be stupid enough to risk breaking CCL, it's just not worth it for Massdrop. I see nothing on the Massdrop page, or anywhere on headfi or /r/headphones that claimed this is anything other than the original PCB design. The only thing they changed is the case.

Edit: After reading through Massdrop comments, was this seriously stemmed from the led being blue instead of red and then people start making wild speculation...?

It's not wild speculation. The led cannot be blue without changing the circuits. Scroll down to the led section here

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/08/o2-details.html?m=1#circuitdescription

It's not wild speculation. The led cannot be blue without changing the circuits. Scroll down to the led section here

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/08/o2-details.html?m=1#circuitdescription

I'm aware, but how it will affects sound quality remains to be seen. As I've said in other threads, as long as it performs 95% as well as the original while being nearly half the price, it's a good budget option to consider.

I'm aware, but how it will affects sound quality remains to be seen. As I've said in other threads, as long as it performs 95% as well as the original while being nearly half the price, it's a good budget option to consider.

It's not half the price. It's $40 less if you include shipping ($10). I rather fork over an extra $40 for a genuine product. 

https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphone-amplifiers/standard-objective2-headphone-amplifier/

Plus, you don't have to wait a month to get it. 

It's not half the price. It's $40 less if you include shipping ($10). I rather fork over an extra $40 for a genuine product. 

https://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/shop/headphone-amplifiers/standard-objective2-headphone-amplifier/

Plus, you don't have to wait a month to get it. 

That's not the usual price, it's a sale price in response to the Massdrop deal taking their lunch. Jdslabs also did a recent flash sale as well. It's a good thing that the price for the o2 is dropping overall due to this, but yes now that it's $100 paying the $30 extra to get it now is great.