Anime fans- Fate series confusion

Chronos5618

Hi all,

It has been brought to my attention that there is quite a dedicated anime fan base on this forum, so thought I would ask for some advice on how to watch the Fate series because I am very confused at the moment. It was recommended to me that I watch Fate/Zero first, because it stands by itself and is one of the best out there. I did this and absolutely loved it (that ending though!), but now have no idea where to go next, mainly because I can't figure out how the anime is structured. I have access to the original Fate/Stay Night and the Unlimited Blade Works anime, but don't know the difference between them, so don't know if I need to watch one or both of them, and in what order. I also read that there is a visual novel out there (not entirely sure what a visual novel is, thought it might be manga but it sounds like it is something you have to play), but couldn't find access to it in the UK. I keep hearing mentions of routes, and the order these routes should be taken, with movies and something called Heaven's Feel as well. There just seems to be so much stuff out there, and I can't figure out how it all fits together :L

In short, could some of you lovely people explain to a noob like myself how exactly the Fate series is constructed, and in what order I should go about watching/reading the rest of it.

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

yeah im rather confused about it as well

i believe its fate zero first

then fate stay night

then give up hope

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

After zero watch unlimited bladeworks. Dont bother with original stay night.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

A visual novel or VN for short is a choose your own adventure type story. Usually in the form of a pc game VNs have a series of choices that lead to different outcomes or endings in the game. Depending on what you choices you go with you can end up following a different path or route in the story. 

The Fate Stay Night VN has 3 distinctive routes namely: Fate, Unlimited Blade Works, and Heaven's Feel which are meant to be played in that order. The original 2006 Fate Stay Night attempts to mash up all three routes with a large focus on the Fate story. The latest Unlimited Blade Works series follows its respective route quite closely and there is currently a Heaven's Feel film in the works.

Start by watching Unlimited Blade Works and if you really like then watch 2006 Fate Stay Night but the latter truly isn't that good of an adaption.

If you would like the full experience with the Fate series however, then I would suggest downloading the visual novel. Pm me if you would like help/instructions on how to get it.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

A visual novel or VN for short is a choose your own adventure type story. Usually in the form of a pc game VNs have a series of choices that lead to different outcomes or endings in the game. Depending on what you choices you go with you can end up following a different path or route in the story. 

The Fate Stay Night VN has 3 distinctive routes namely: Fate, Unlimited Blade Works, and Heaven's Feel (meant to be played in that order). The original 2006 Fate Stay Night attempts to mash up all three routes with a large focus on the Fate story. The latest Unlimited Blade Works series follows its respective route quite closely and there is currently a Heaven's Feel film in the works.

Start by watching Unlimited Blade Works and if you really like then watch 2006 Fate Stay Night but the latter truly isn't that good of an adaption.

Ah, that makes sense :) Would you recommend trying to get my hands on the visual novel as well? And how about all the other stuff i.e. Fate/hollow ataraxia. I'm just curious if they are important to the overall universe, or if they are just a bit of fan service. Thanks for the help!

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

Ah, that makes sense :) Would you recommend trying to get my hands on the visual novel as well? And how about all the other stuff i.e. Fate/hollow ataraxia. I'm just curious if they are important to the overall universe, or if they are just a bit of fan service. Thanks for the help!

I would definitely recommend the visual novel. It's a really unique and fun experience especially in terms of the level of detail it portrays.

As for Fate Hollow Ataraxia, I haven't read it I'm afraid so I can't comment but it is meant to be read after Stay Night.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

it all begin as the Visual Novel which means the 3 routes of Fate UBW and HF. and the n it gets popular enough that they made Fate Zero Light Novel

however, after i recently watch the anime adaptation, i came to the conclusion on how to watch it in order:

1. Fate/Zero

2. FSN  UBW 2014

skip the 2006 Fate entirely

simple as that

I would definitely recommend the visual novel. It's a really unique and fun experience especially in terms of the level of detail it portrays.

As for Fate Hollow Ataraxia, I haven't read it I'm afraid so I can't comment but it is meant to be read after Stay Night.

it all begin as the Visual Novel which means the 3 routes of Fate UBW and HF. and the n it gets popular enough that they made Fate Zero Light Novel

however, after i recently watch the anime adaptation, i came to the conclusion on how to watch it in order:

1. Fate/Zero

2. FSN  UBW 2014

simple as that

Okey dokey- so I'll watch Unlimited Blade Works next, then try and find an English version of the novel online somewhere and get through that. Cheers for the help! You guys rock :) 

1. Fate/Zero

2. FSN  UBW 2014

simple as that

i quite like the fsn anime its not that bad imo 

but back to the question fate/zero is the presequle then fsn vn and the ending well depends on you really, im just waiting for Heaven's Feel, i did not quite like the unlimted blade work endin did not like the out come :(

lives on

BAKABT

The right way to watch is fate stay night then fate zero. But in terms of TIME fate zero happens first. IMO best way is fate stay night then fate zero but either works.

i quite like the fsn anime its not that bad imo 

but back to the question fate/zero is the presequle then fsn vn and the ending well depends on you really, im just waiting for Heaven's Feel, i did not quite like the unlimted blade work endin did not like the out come :(

So are there multiple endings in the visual novel, that depend on your choices?

My personal viewing order is:

1 - First half of UBW

2 - Fate/Zero

3 - FSN 2006 (if you can bear it, really isn't that bad imo so give it a shot)

4 - Finish off UBW

The reason for stalling Zero is because it assumes that the viewer is very familiar with the mechanics of the Holy Grail War and sees no need to explain it. Also you feel a greater connection to the characters in Zero when you find out who they are related to in FSN. Watching Zero before the end of UBW accentuates its second half after a certain familiar character decides to reappear and play a pivotal role. Finally the inclusion of FSN 2006 is just to get to know Saber's backstory and her end-goal but can be skipped if you don't care for that.

For each route there are two endings: The good end and true end. Which one you get does depend on your choices.

The right way to watch is fate stay night then fate zero. But in terms of TIME fate zero happens first. IMO best way is fate stay night then fate zero but either works.

actually its read the VN FSN first not watch anime FSN

the anime adaptation makes it you have to watch Zero first

as a fellow VN reader i confirm this

My personal viewing order is:

1 - First half of UBW

2 - Fate/Zero

3 - FSN 2006 (if you can bear it, really isn't that bad imo so give it a shot)

4 - Finish off UBW

The reason for stalling Zero is because it assumes that the viewer is very familiar with the mechanics of the Holy Grail War and sees no need to explain it. Also you feel a greater connection to the characters in Zero when you find out who they are related to in FSN. Watching Zero before the end of UBW accentuates its second half after a certain familiar character decides to reappear and play a pivotal role. Finally the inclusion of FSN 2006 is just to get to know Saber's backstory and her end-goal but can be skipped if you don't care for that.

That is a good point. When I started Fate/Zero I did have to wiki a couple of things to understand what was going on. I also get where you are coming from with character appreciation. It was only at the very end that I realised how well it had set the stage for FSN (without having watched that anime yet). I didn't like the ending...but it was a very good ending. 

A VN will often have different routes based on dialogue or other choices the player makes leading to different endings. If you ever read a pick your own adventure book as a child, it's sort of like that with visuals and you don't have to flip through half the book every step so it doesn't suck, though I haven't played too many and when I was looking at an install guide for the VN, and it seemed to have 3 different installs so I could be misunderstanding how Fate works. Is F/SN one game with three routes, or three games?

If I recall, in the Oreimo VN, every Ayase ending but one ended up with her going yandere and killing you.

How long did it everyone who's played it here to get through the UBW route, and how much is cut out in the anime? I would prefer to watch as much as I can of it (gonna play the other 2 arcs) since I can do that pretty much anywhere, but if a lot is missing in the anime I'll play the VN for that route. Also, has anyone played Tsukihime? I hear it's really good.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

How long did it everyone who's played it here to get through the UBW route, and how much is cut out in the anime? I would prefer to watch as much as I can of it (gonna play the other 2 arcs) since I can do that pretty much anywhere, but if a lot is missing in the anime I'll play the VN for that route. Also, has anyone played Tsukihime? I hear it's really good.

Some things have been cut out and aspects of the story are told better in the VN. Fortunately the show introduced some anime original stuff that wasn't in the VN so there's one incentive to seeing the anime (and that epilogue... that was really really good). But if you're planning on reading the VN I suggest doing that first then watching UBW, or alternatively read the VN and watch UBW at the same time. As for Tsukihime I haven't gone around to it but I heard Type-moon is gonna remake it. But god knows how long that'll take 

Hollow ataraxia is a follow-up to F/SN VN but it's a fandisc so most of the content in there is what you may call fan service. From someone who has read and 100% it I recommend reading Hollow ataraxia too if you're craving more fate/ stuff because there's still a plot to it and plus it's hilarious

After zero watch unlimited bladeworks. Dont bother with original stay night.

Follow this definitely. Studio deen's version is a mess. 

A VN will often have different routes based on dialogue or other choices the player makes leading to different endings. If you ever read a pick your own adventure book as a child, it's sort of like that with visuals and you don't have to flip through half the book every step so it doesn't suck, though I haven't played too many and when I was looking at an install guide for the VN, and it seemed to have 3 different installs so I could be misunderstanding how Fate works. Is F/SN one game with three routes, or three games?

F/SN is one game with three routes. It starts with a Prologue in Rin's perspective then branches off into 1 of the 3 routes. each route has its own files though so you have to run a different executable if you want to play one route. there's also a secret ending but that can only be unlocked if you unlocked all possible endings for all 3 routes. 

Okey dokey- so I'll watch Unlimited Blade Works next, then try and find an English version of the novel online somewhere and get through that. Cheers for the help! You guys rock  :)

Just so you know there's only one translation of the VN and that's from the guys from Beast's Lair. it's only the translated files so you need the original VN first. PM me if you want to use mines 

Ah, that makes sense  :) Would you recommend trying to get my hands on the visual novel as well? And how about all the other stuff i.e. Fate/hollow ataraxia. I'm just curious if they are important to the overall universe, or if they are just a bit of fan service. Thanks for the help!

In addition to Hollow ataraxia there's also spin-offs like Prisma Ilya, Fate/grand order, Fate/apocrypha, Fate/strange fake, Fate/prototype, and so on. there's also extra stuff from type-moon like Fate/material 

Some things have been cut out and aspects of the story are told better in the VN. Fortunately the show introduced some anime original stuff that wasn't in the VN so there's one incentive to seeing the anime. But if you're planning on reading the VN I suggest doing that first then watching UBW, or alternatively read the VN and watch UBW at the same time. As for Tsukihime I haven't gone around to it but I heard Type-moon is gonna remake it. But god knows how long that'll take.

Awesome, I'll start with the VN first, then. Do I watch /zero after UBW or before the VN since people say to start with it? If they remade it it would still have to be translated into English and liscensed etc. etc. for an even longer wait, and I doubt that it would be as good as the original is supposed to be from the things I'm hearing, so I might still play the original. 

F/SN is one game with three routes. It starts with a Prologue in Rin's perspective then branches off into 1 of the 3 routes. each route has its own files though so you have to run a different executable if you want to play one route. there's also a secret ending but that can only be unlocked if you unlocked all possible endings for all 3 routes. 

Was it released as three different discs? I'm starting to get really hyped for this... I'll get to it as soon as I finish Gintama. Oh god, I'm never going to get to watch/read fate. Nah, I watch a few shows at a time so I'll replace one of the shorter ones with it.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

Awesome, I'll start with the VN first, then. Do I watch /zero after UBW or before the VN since people say to start with it? If they remade it it would still have to be translated into English and liscensed etc. etc. for an even longer wait, and I doubt that it would be as good as the original is supposed to be from the things I'm hearing, so I might still play the original. 

Was it released as three different discs? I'm starting to get really hyped for this... I'll get to it as soon as I finish Gintama. Oh god, I'm never going to get to watch/read fate. Nah, I watch a few shows at a time so I'll replace one of the shorter ones with it.

honestly i'm not sure myself. UBW hints on fate/zero a couple of times, which is obvious since fate/zero occurred 10 years prior to f/sn. and there's no word from type-moon that the original VN is going to be translated and i doubt there's ever going to be. but if you're looking for the VN just PM me 

don't think so. and good luck getting the box version. it's a rare one these days. but i would give Fate/ some time to inch in. this isn't an easy series to understand, i can tell you that. 

calling club members!

like this post if the tags worked. 

thanks for the likes, glad to know the tagging worked!

@Luclocke @MyInnerFred @TheProfosist @Charger @CatCloud @Vitalius @Jaybird @RainColt @Rockmandash12  @iSaeko @Legion @Epitome @Izaya Orihara @Cryptonite @yurihellsing @Typho @gastew15 @DigitalHermit @brownninja97 @That Norwegian Guy @Daegun @squirrl @lutewan @DudeWazap @cae @Admire @ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen @killers993 @GrimNeo @Maheshvara @Opask @Le Lion de Barreras @BashZeStampeedo @Xaring @KingCry @JuztBe @PercySavageEG @Oasis @dragoon20005 @MoonSpot @Phorlorn @Oasis @dragoon20005 @MoonSpot @azurezeed @Delusional Phil @Ruostunut kokis @Rashy @That Norwegian Guy @Skybane @TetraSky @TheGingerKid @Pohernori @Xsinar @Oskar94a @DarkCrow @EChondo @GokuLy @oc0110 @Laforet @EmotionalSloth @Katsu-K1L @Ivyk @TheGFXNovice @Fruits Punch Samurai G @frustratedrocka @Purple Spy @Sky Daddy @Adamu @Smiles1946 @GloriousPain @Kagami Tsukino @Unbr34k4bl3 @Noire @Randomacts @ThyFeared @wng_kingsley7 @Trogdor8freebird @Rising @Marvzl1357 @achillesviper @Laputacake @xnoobftw @ArkAngel_X @eelnico09 @Jerakl @Tr3vor @Belgarionbg @Pugs501 @Silver Knight @MageofFaith @Ploooopp @BurgerBum @Kukielka @Mujteba @tobben @Makeishura/Taurus Silver @Kizer0918 @SHAD0WxF1R3 @DollarPCJunior @soaringchicken @JoeyDM @shanky887614 @Tokuninashi @NormalJoe @Zer0r8ing @Pomfinator @zappian @Brainless906 @ilove64 @cesrai @Toddwjp @MLGNOSCOPEHEADSHOTGETREKT @thorbrantly101 @ultralars @ManOfDisguise @Tonylu1595 @ICantThinkOfAnyGoodName @Createinator @RedSphyxis @ZeroGenesis @Miqle @Nater @Jack_of_All_Trades @shadowblitz3 @JarekBloodDragon @beach_boy98@ Gigamegabyte @dr_deconstruct @MeMe @RazerZ @_Inter_ @MeDownYou @Enferk @FrenziedComet @8uhbbhu8 @Biferony @TakaIcscp @Technicolors @flip1012 @MechEdge @Vlazzy @Nuluvius @valdyrgramr @LazyLizard @Avericious @o0Martin @themaniac @BrandonTheCat @ElfenSky @AbsolDestiny

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

calling club members!

like this post if the tags worked. 

[All of Heaven Society tagged - Snip]

I don't know what you did, but only Fred got tagged correctly. :P

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I don't know what you did, but only Fred got tagged correctly. :P

hit refresh. i made an edit. I copy pasted from the weekly discussion tread. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

hit refresh. i made an edit. I copy pasted from the weekly discussion tread. 

Lazy-ass... :P

Just a joke. Who in their rightful mind would not copy-and-paste all of that?

It works perfectly now, though. Your summoning have been successful.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Wow...it's like the bat signal of LTT anime community!

Wow...it's like the bat signal of LTT anime community!

Not quite... It's not signaling a single person, but calling hordes of people who very likely may have knowledge on the subject (subject being anime)