Helicopter hovers over me as I browse internet on roof

burnttoastnice

So I was here just chilling on the roof of my cousins house with a beefy high-gain WiFi antenna and my laptop, browsing the LTT forums while doing other personal stuff (moving databases and various project files to and from my server), as well as watching YouTube. The internet connection is so disgustingly slow ('4G' router) that I have the videos buffering and various other uploads happening while I get on with other things.

A few minutes later, a fully blacked out helicopter starts hovering over my location and does so for the period of time that I'm there, reason unknown. For all I know it could be full of hackers trying to crack the WiFi AP password or using binoculars etc trying to see what I'm doing. Pointless because my laptop screen is almost impossible to see from above, and I was doing all my transfers over an SSL connection.

So they hover over me for about 20-30 minutes, circling to and from at a questionable height. I decided to return indoors as it was getting cold anyway, and guess what? As soon as I get up and go in, the helicopter flies off. The area was completely quiet before and after the helicopter came, with no obvious signs of criminal activity. There are no back alleys around here either, so I highly doubt the helicopter was following a suspect on the ground.

If the helicopter was 'spying' on me (or at least attempting to) what gives them the right to do that? Anyone can sit on a roof and use their phone no problem, but as soon as a laptop and a WiFi antenna is involved they decide to 'take a closer look'? The fact that my cousin's WiFi is just a 4G box could be one of the reasons that they came to my location, as I've been sending (encrypted) data to and from my server in large quantities throughout the day. This is quite disturbing that they've gone to extra lengths to come to my location possibly attempting to intercept private and personal data. If governments think this is acceptable(without valid reason) this is absolutely atrocious.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Applies tin foil hat to Skyrim character.

AMD Phenom II B55 Quad / unlocked dual core 4.3ghz CB R15 = CB 422
XFX R9 390 8GB MY RIG: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MVwQsY
Fastest 7770 on LTT . 3rd Fastest Phenom II Quad on LTT

PCSX2 on AMD CPU? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/412377-pcsx2-emulator-4096x2160-amd-phenom-ii/#entry5550588

I need more pi help please.

LOL must be some rich people trying to scare you or something. 

Or maybe @Flyguygamer learned how to fly an helicopter and found you :D

STOP! If you always rat me out I'm gonna get in trouble. 

The FAA is coming for me!

19222_3.jpg

The government does not use black helicopters.

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

It may have been the high-gain antennae that threw them off. I know people who have gotten into a lot of trouble by trying to sniff data from a wide range of networks.

~Judah

Applies tin foil hat to Skyrim character.

futurama-into-the-wild-green-yonder-2009

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

For all I know it could be full of hackers trying to crack the WiFi AP password

Why the actual fuck would "hackers" go as far as getting a helicopter so they can fly over your house and try to crack your wifi? what benefit would that be over just driving close to your house or sneaking through the woods behind your house or whatever. And why would they want your wifi anyway? Please kindly remove the tin foil from your noggin and go back to watching youtube videos.

And follow your damn post you savage

"LTT's official.."STOP. I promise you aren't LTT's official bagel eater or whatever. Trust me. 

i wouldn't be surprised if you were in the US but UK... mh...

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

There are easier ways to spy than that.

Stop with the stupidity people.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

LOL must be some rich people trying to scare you or something. 

Or maybe @Flyguygamer learned how to fly an helicopter and found you :D

Or maybe he found you and brought you back to the forums. :P

The government does not use black helicopters.

The people behind the goverment use black helos, maybe it was a chemtrail helicopter and his signal blocked them from changing all our minds ?

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

The people behind the goverment use black helos, maybe it was a chemtrail helicopter and his signal blocked them from changing all our minds ?

More likely it was some wealthy person looking for properties, or a surveyor doing his job. This government conspiracy bull crap drives me nuts, mainly because the people who believe it all are to thick to comprehend normal sense.

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

So one thing... SSL Means nothing It can be cracked. It's a preventative measure but so are condoms. If you put one on your ear it does no good. If SSL is set up incorrectly it does no good. Also the government wouldn't use a helicopter to spy on you. First off you have to be on a STL (Suspected Terrorism List). BTW there are satellites that can read your texts... from your screen. This is actually, one of the reasons, why some military bases decades ago put visors over outdoor keypads.

On another note, It's probably a training flight and the Student pilot has to maintain a certain elevation over various terrains, like jagged roofs and such.

learn morse code and signal the pilot some happy messages with a laser light. they'll love you for it

please don't its illegal.

and it's not a misdemeanor. It's a full fledged federal crime.

More likely it was some wealthy person looking for properties, or a surveyor doing his job. This government conspiracy bull crap drives me nuts, mainly because the people who believe it all are to thick to comprehend normal sense.

I was sarcastic, obviously there is another reason behind it, maybe an old pilot that thought he saw something crazy, or things you wrote

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

So one thing... SSL Means nothing It can be cracked. It's a preventative measure but so are condoms. If you put one on your ear it does no good. If SSL is set up incorrectly it does no good. Also the government wouldn't use a helicopter to spy on you. First off you have to be on a STL (Suspected Terrorism List). BTW there are satellites that can read your texts... from your screen. This is actually, one of the reasons, why some military bases decades ago put visors over outdoor keypads.

On another note, It's probably a training flight and the Student pilot has to maintain a certain elevation over various terrains, like jagged roofs and such.

If someone does 'gain access/break into' to my SSL connection, does the fingerprint change? That's the only way that I've been validating my SSL connections up until now, by manually checking the fingerprint.

I also like your viewpoint on the pilot possibly under training, I wasn't thinking like that at all

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

If someone does 'gain access/break into' to my SSL connection, does the fingerprint change? That's the only way that I've been validating my SSL connections up until now, by manually checking the fingerprint.

I also like your viewpoint on the pilot possibly under training, I wasn't thinking like that at all

There is only one system that I know of that can even do this. What all happens I honestly don't know, but what I do know is you won't know. And this system cost 1.85 million per receiver.

Oh shit, Battlefield Hardline  :D

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU