Asus RT-N66u dropping wifi

Hello everyone,

i'm new to posting stuff here so if i missed some sort of protocol please let me know Thanks.

I moved into a new neighborhood 3 years back and was having consistent internet problems with rogers wireless hetran modem, for a bout a year and a half now that wireless feature has been disabled and we have an asus rt-n66u connected for the wifi and Ethernet.

My Asus rt-n66u keeps dropping wifi connection, i am pretty sure that its the router but it may be the adapter. This problem first occurred on an older acer laptop (win 7 x64, with wireless n) where the internet would go to limited, show connections are available, and no connections available. then it started to happen on the cell phones and now my current computer. 

When i was messing around with windows xp before the end of service on an old computer (dell optiplex gx 280) using the asus usb n66 adapter i scanned the area and found that most 2.4ghz channels were used the best channel is 6 because the house that uses it is the furthest away (1 bar connection). At the time the wireless connections of 2.4 and 5 ghz appeared to the asus USB n66 utility on the search but would usually connect to the 2.4ghz.

These same symptoms started to occur but since xp was ending and there was nothing of value on it i wiped the hard drive, use it for storage now and junked the old computer.

Now i have been experiencing this with my current computer, running win 8.1 x64, and using the USB n66. Asus website said that windows 8 and 8.1 had the driver for the usb n66 pre-installed but after having the signal cut out multiple times i decided to install the utility. When i scanned this time the 5ghz connection doesn't appear, same with the older laptop, they never connected to the 5ghz band. That is a big issue for me because the family has about 15 things connected to the wifi and it only has the 2.4ghz band , i've been disconnecting (disabling wifi) on what we don't use like old ipods, tablets, etc... but still the internet keeps dropping. when connected, i have full bars just when i scan for networks as it drops, sometimes the network disappears. 

Note: The Ethernet connection is fine, its an older house so no power line will not work and when I'm connected there's max connection.

thanks in advance,

Matt

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I had the same type of issue with this model. It would just drop wireless connections intermittently. Unfortunately, that required an RMA to fix. If you haven't already, go ahead and factory reset the router and change the configurations back to how you had it. There are 3rd party firmwares you could try, like Merlin (DL link), but it obviously does pose the usual risk of bricking your router if done improperly. 

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

hey thanks "ryuko", but RMA is kinda late now and, its pretty much factory settings all my dad did was set up a new password for the firmware log in ( which he forgot  xD).... and set up the wpa2 security.

ill try to find the password or guess it for now i might even reset dunno yet but i wont mark this as resolved yet because it may take some time to find so thanks and if something happens ill post or resolve this.

hey thanks "ryuko", but RMA is kinda late now and, its pretty much factory settings all my dad did was set up a new password for the firmware log in ( which he forgot  xD).... and set up the wpa2 security.

ill try to find the password or guess it for now i might even reset dunno yet but i wont mark this as resolved yet because it may take some time to find so thanks and if something happens ill post or resolve this.

You don't actually need the login password. There's a reset button on the back of the unit http://www.bitcom.se/files/Manual-E7018_RT-N66U_Manual_V2_high_cd-dvd.pdf

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ