Windows 10 vs 8.1 vs 7 Poll

jos

Windows 10 is fast approching.. There are many who have tried it.. So which one do you prefer.. These are the currently supported version for home users. Hence considering only 10, 8.1 and 7. So which one do you support and why?

Win 7 is love. Win 7 is life. I think it's time to say goodbye once Win 10 is here, though.  :(

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Windows XP = Windows 7 > Windows 10 > Windows 8 > Windows 8.1 < Windows 3.1.

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X @4GHz cooled by a Corsair H110i GT | MBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 2400MHz) | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 | SSD: Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black Drive | PSU: Corsair HX750i | Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 

Windows XP = Windows 7 > Windows 10 > Windows 8 > Windows 8.1 < Windows 3.1.

I like windows 8,1 with the start button more than just 8.

Window 10 > Previous Windows

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Currently using 7 but I had the TP for 10 and it looks great other than the fact that it was buggy as hell since it was only in beta :P

Ill probably upgrade to it one of these years.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Windows 7, from my own personal experiences Windows 8/8.1 has been a steaming pile of (moderated). Problem after problem, which I never had with Windows 7, and there was not a single gain either(performance was either exactly the same or even slightly worse). Can't speak for Windows 10, when it gets released I'll probably install it on the Shitbox just to give it a try.

Edit: I have a .gif for this. No, I have a .gif for everything:

Ej72Lo7.gif

^^MRW I have to use Windows 8

I like Turnip.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

Windows 8.1 is fantastic, lightweight and performs very well. If you say you hate it 9 times out of 10 it's because you're recycling someone else's opinion that hasn't used it for any significant period of time.

Anyway I've now switched to Windows 10 as my daily driver (Pro Build 1062) and it's great. I'm very excited to see the release! :D

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

Windows 8.1 is fantastic, lightweight and performs very well. If you say you hate it 9 times out of 10 it's because you're recycling someone else's opinion that hasn't used it for any significant period of time.

Anyway I've now switched to Windows 10 as my daily driver (Pro Build 1062) and it's great. I'm very excited to see the release! :D

You know you can upgrade to the RTM build of windows 10 right now build 10240.

I'll go with Windows 10 this time(though i'm currently using 8.1).

I've had the preview installed, and I was really surprised to see that every device that I had, keyboard, mouse, gamepad, USB sound card, external HDDs, etc worked without an issue(except for Corsair Link but meh).

But I think, Windows 10's star is DX12. Unfortunately, we don't have a proper game to test it. 

On the other hand, I still can't understand why people hated 8.1 just because of the damn interface(which is far better imho than 7's). Instead of having your icons on desktop, you moved them into a dedicated window and grouped them by their category(games, productivity, tools etc.), so more space on the desktop. 

On top of that W 8.1 is RTG(ready to go) from the install. It usually has all drivers, codecs, runtimes, integrated, meaning that you just install and use the damn computer(if you need it right then).

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

I have not had any significant experience using either 8.1 or 10 as of yet, so I cannot possibly say anything other than 7. I will see in the coming weeks when I will be looking more at the others if I end up preferring them. Purely from an aesthetic perspective, I prefer Window 10 by a longshot however.

Current System: Corsair Graphite 760T White/ Asus X99-S / Intel Core i7 5820K / Corsair H100i GTX / EVGA Titan X SuperClocked / HyperX Fury 4x8GB 2666mhz DDR4/ Corsair AX1500i / Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400gb / Samsung Evo 840 500gb / WD Green 4TB x2 / WD Green 3TB /  OCZ Agility 3 120gb

I'm switching all non legacy setups to 10. So I am going 10 unless good reason otherwise

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Being with Win 10 since the beginning of insider program, i really got used to it. Love it, never coming back. 

I think I will upgrade to W10 in release date.I reserved my copy and looking forward to see how it goes.
About Windows 7 - why the hell you like it?Just because internet says Windows 8.1 is (put your swearing in here)?Or just because you are the one of ''i can't live without start button'' guys?Geez.I think W8.1 is far better than Windows 7 and i think that Windows 10 will be better than any of the Windows overall.

I think I will upgrade to W10 in release date.I reserved my copy and looking forward to see how it goes.

About Windows 7 - why the hell you like it?Just because internet says Windows 8.1 is (put your swearing in here)?Or just because you are the one of ''i can't live without start button'' guys?Geez.I think W8.1 is far better than Windows 7 and i think that Windows 10 will be better than any of the Windows overall.

You underestimate human inflexibility

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Windows XP?

I have to go with Windows 8.1 because its just so much faster than Windows 7. I would vote for Windows 10 but I don't really use it.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Honestly, I'm picking 7. Haven't used 10 enough to make a proper judgement, and neither have many people here. A couple of weeks after the release would've been a better time to do this poll.

Because it works. It's old, stable and a ton of shit supports it.

Is win 8.1 better technically? Yes. should you upgrade if you have 7? Not worth the hassle, especially if you have a boot SSD, as 7 is just as fast as 8.1 in that case.

I use W8 on my laptop, and it certainly is a lot better on slower drives, but there's just never been a good reason to upgrade my main rig, as 8 doesn't offer any significant improvement on high-end hardware for power users. That, and it wasn't free. Free upgrade, that's something you can't argue against.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

I despise Win8.1 in many ways. It is nice on my SP3. But not polished enough. They fucked up. I'm looking forward to Win10, which still looks like they fucked up, but at least they fixed some issues. 

Win7 by new just feels old and slow whenever I have to use it on my old pc or family members laptops. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Linux anyone? :P

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)