Custom Desk Build (Project Yellow Panther)

PeggersXtreme

Absolutely amazing.  

I would revisit hardline tubing though.   It is a 9/10 right now and hardline would make it a 10/10

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Absolutely amazing.  

I would revisit hardline tubing though.   It is a 9/10 right now and hardline would make it a 10/10

I might re-visit hardline tubing in a years time for now I am happy with the soft tube it makes upgrading and draining loop super simple in this build.

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

So I have re-installed the CPU block with fresh thermal paste and got some more air out the loop getting there but in a desk build like this air seems to get trapped in the radiator end tanks, But I have managed to overclock to a stable 4ghz I could probably go further but I would rather stay at lower temperatures and it's quite a boost for this CPU the temps Are low 20s 22C ish on Idle accept core 1 is around 28 for some reason and then on load I am at the high 60s around 67C the room temp is around 21C would you say these are acceptable temps for my cooling solution.

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

So I have re-installed the CPU block with fresh thermal paste and got some more air out the loop getting there but in a desk build like this air seems to get trapped in the radiator end tanks, But I have managed to overclock to a stable 4ghz I could probably go further but I would rather stay at lower temperatures and it's quite a boost for this CPU the temps Are low 20s 22C ish on Idle accept core 1 is around 28 for some reason and then on load I am at the high 60s around 67C the room temp is around 21C would you say these are acceptable temps for my cooling solution.

I'm no expert, but those seem very reasonable.

I'm no expert, but those seem very reasonable.

I have been trying to work out why core 1 is significantly hotter than the other cores if it was only 2 or 3 degrees it would make sense but 6 degrees seems like a lot between cores

Custom PC:

I have been trying to work out why core 1 is significantly hotter than the other cores if it was only 2 or 3 degrees it would make sense but 6 degrees seems like a lot between cores

Again, no expert, but maybe the CPU's block isn't tightened properly?  :huh:

I doubt an incorrectly installed CPU block would cause that kind of discrepancy.   All cores would make sense.  But that large of a difference would indicate to me a CPU issue.  my 5820K has at most a 1 degree difference between cores at any given time.   Maybe 2 in extreme cases.    6 is huge.     

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

That's not totally unheard of having one core hotter it can happen where either that core isn't getting as good of a contact by the IHS or is inherently hotter running.

That's not totally unheard of having one core hotter it can happen where either that core isn't getting as good of a contact by the IHS or is inherently hotter running.

I doubt an incorrectly installed CPU block would cause that kind of discrepancy.   All cores would make sense.  But that large of a difference would indicate to me a CPU issue.  my 5820K has at most a 1 degree difference between cores at any given time.   Maybe 2 in extreme cases.    6 is huge.     

Again, no expert, but maybe the CPU's block isn't tightened properly?  :huh:

My overclock failed again today I don't know why I had stress tested it for 3 hours yesterday and today I turned my pc on and a error message said Overclock failed settings have been set to default this is insane can't work out how to get round this issue any ideas from anyone would be great

Custom PC:

My overclock failed again today I don't know why I had stress tested it for 3 hours yesterday and today I turned my pc on and a error message said Overclock failed settings have been set to default this is insane can't work out how to get round this issue any ideas from anyone would be great

Is it the CPU or GPU, try upping the voltage a very small amount and try again it's a bit of a trial and error when it comes to overclocking to dial in your chip. It's not uncommon to have it fail 6 hours in on a stress test I had that happen a few times before on my 12 hour run.

Is it the CPU or GPU, try upping the voltage a very small amount and try again it's a bit of a trial and error when it comes to overclocking to dial in your chip. It's not uncommon to have it fail 6 hours in on a stress test I had that happen a few times before on my 12 hour run.

What sort of voltage maximum does the 5960X have? I tried 1.15V

Custom PC:

You can go to 1.3 easily.  After that I would start to be careful.    It sounds like you are undervolting by quite a bit.  

You can go to 1.3 easily.  After that I would start to be careful.    It sounds like you are undervolting by quite a bit.  

Am I ok leaving my D5 pump on setting 1 it's nice a silent at the moment and temps are 19C on coolest core and 24 on hottest core on idle at the moment stock clocks

Custom PC:

I run a DDC so I am not as familiar with D5 pumps.  But I don't see why this would be a problem.  The rate of flow is irrelevant to a large degree.   I would have it set as high as I could and still be silent.  

Those temps are good.   My 5820K idles at about 24-26.   

I believe the stock voltage is approx 1.00V for the extreme editions so going up to 1.2v-1.3v isn't really a problem. As for leaving the D5 on the lowest setting it won't have a huge impact maybe a degree or two on temps but maybe have it on a 2 since your loop is fairly large.

I run a DDC so I am not as familiar with D5 pumps.  But I don't see why this would be a problem.  The rate of flow is irrelevant to a large degree.   I would have it set as high as I could and still be silent.  

Those temps are good.   My 5820K idles at about 24-26.   

I forgot to mention i'm only trying to get 4ghz out of my 5960x I don't plan on going higher so I'm gonna try 1.175v and see how that goes and then if that doesn't work I will bump the voltage seems a lot of people are managing 4ghz on stock voltage I think I lost the silicon lottery with my chip it gets toasty at 1.15 volts nothing major but on the edge of 70C someone told me to not use Prime95 as well apparently it kills haswell chips

Custom PC:

If you do a lot of rendering, which the CPU will work full load 100% for extended period of time. then it is suggested 1.3v max(1.31 still ok). However, if you mainly do gaming. The CPU usually does 60-70% load, ocassionaly goes 90%. Then it's safe to do 1.35v or even 1.4v if you have very good cooling(that you have). This is according to J.J. of Asus.

If you do a lot of rendering, which the CPU will work full load 100% for extended period of time. then it is suggested 1.3v max(1.31 still ok). However, if you mainly do gaming. The CPU usually does 60-70% load, ocassionaly goes 90%. Then it's safe to do 1.35v or even 1.4v if you have very good cooling(that you have). This is according to J.J. of Asus.

Ok I'm in bios now what's the CPU ring voltage so many different voltages on this motherboard I assume I only change the core voltage not use to these fancy bios lol

Custom PC:

I forgot to mention i'm only trying to get 4ghz out of my 5960x I don't plan on going higher so I'm gonna try 1.175v and see how that goes and then if that doesn't work I will bump the voltage seems a lot of people are managing 4ghz on stock voltage I think I lost the silicon lottery with my chip it gets toasty at 1.15 volts nothing major but on the edge of 70C someone told me to not use Prime95 as well apparently it kills haswell chips

Yes.  Prime 95 is terrible to use with Haswell.   It was either Linus or Jay who referred to it as a Heat Virus or something along those lines.    Aida64 is a much better choice.   

And yes.  Only adjust the core voltage.  Especially if you are new at this.   I would set it to adaptive once all is said and done.  Although you would be ok with offset as well. 

Yes.  Prime 95 is terrible to use with Haswell.   It was either Linus or Jay who referred to it as a Heat Virus or something along those lines.    Aida64 is a much better choice.   

And yes.  Only adjust the core voltage.  Especially if you are new at this.   I would set it to adaptive once all is said and done.  Although you would be ok with offset as well. 

My temp were evidently pretty good then for prime 95 lol 70C at 4ghz :D

Custom PC:

System keeps crashing at 4ghz 1.19v think I got a potato for a cpu  if people have really got this thing running stable at stock voltage at 4ghz

Custom PC:

I'm gonna leave it stock for now need to find out what the ring ratio is might be why it's crashing

Custom PC:

Turns out aida64 even crashes at stock clock. hmmmm i'm lost with that how  and why temps aren't even going over 50C 100% load

Custom PC:

Time to up the voltage a bit.. 

I would reset CMOS first though.