Dead graphics card - What to do with it?

Alex(PlayMedium)

So, one of my HD6850s decided to die (PC doesn't even post when it is installed in any pci-e slot) and now I am wondering what to do with it.

A Logan-style drink "holder" seems like a pretty obvious choice, but I don't have a lot of space on my desk, so that's a bit unpractial for me.

What do you guys think I should so with it?

donaminhaber_sapphire_hd6850vaporx-01.jp

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Mount it on the wall, over time you will build a collection which you can use as a showcase of your commitment to the pc building scene, alternatively if someone breaks in you could use your many dead components at missiles for home defence

I have a dead Z77 sabertooth board that is getting that treatment.

Make it look cooler and then hang it up on a wall in your room :)

PC Specs:  2x GTX 550 ti in SLI - Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - Thermaltake Overseer Case - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram - 1TB Harddrive - 500 Watt PSU that came with my old prebuilt pc lawl -  ASUS P8P67 EVO

Peripherals:  Razer Deathadder Black Edition - Razer Arctosa Keyboard - Logitech G53 Headset

Cool song of the day: Chief Keef - Round da Rosey    Changed my profile pic again...                                        Mountain Dew is good. So are video games and music. Oh and unicorns.

100V ..... Bang .......2.000.000 Views on youtube......U Happy

Manners Maketh Man

First check the warranty.

It's a 6000 series GPU warranty is expiered since way back

If you remove the fan and what not so it's stripped to just the GPU, you can bake it in the oven at 180C for 6-8 minutes or something (I did this a while back so I can't remember the exact temperature and time) and this should fix the soldering and any issues it may have had (i.e. loose connection).

This is something that works but do it at your own risk, I would recommend Googling this troubleshooting method (GPU Cooking 101) and get the temperature and time correct if you do want to try it. 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Take it to a bar, get it drunk, and don't call it the next day

i7 4790k | Asus Z97 M-Plus | 16GB Mushkin 1600mhz | Sapphire R9 390X | Samsung 830 128GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Carbide 330r Blackout Edition 

You can try baking it in the oven. This should fix the soldering allowing it to re-bond properly and any other issues,Take apart the card, remove heatsinks, all thermal paste,385-400F,10 mins,Hope it works. :P if not do what I did with and old intel motherboard and make it into a bracelet!

Edit - Thanks Vertifai!

You can try baking it in the oven. This should fix the soldering allowing it to re-bond properly and any other issues,Take apart the card, remove heatsinks, all thermal paste,385-400c,10 mins,Hope it works. :P if not do what I did with and old intel motherboard and make it into a bracelet!

O_o 385-400 is if you use Fahrenheit! 400 Celsius = all plastic melts and burn, solder melts GPU core and RAM would probably chip into small pieces :)

I used 200-210 Celsius for about 8 minus to fix my 9800GTX and it works now :D

You can try baking it in the oven. This should fix the soldering allowing it to re-bond properly and any other issues,Take apart the card, remove heatsinks, all thermal paste,385-400c,10 mins,Hope it works. :P if not do what I did with and old intel motherboard and make it into a bracelet!

| MOBO: Asus Z97-PRO | CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Asus R9 280 | Ram: 8gb Kingston Ram| PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 600W | CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 | 

you got to wonder, whom was the first person to come up with this. You know I got a dead GPU lets put it in the oven, makes me wonder sometimes.

you got to wonder, whom was the first person to come up with this. You know I got a dead GPU lets put it in the oven, makes me wonder sometimes.

Probably someone who used to work withe BGA chips and reflow ovens

You can try baking it in the oven. This should fix the soldering allowing it to re-bond properly and any other issues,Take apart the card, remove heatsinks, all thermal paste,385-400F,10 mins,Hope it works. :P if not do what I did with and old intel motherboard and make it into a bracelet!

Edit - Thanks Vertifai!

You turned an old Intel motherboard into a bracelet...?  Can I see a picture of this??

Also, I'd do a coaster thing.  I'm too much of a fan of Tek Syndicate not too.

CPU: i7 6850K RAM: 64GB 3200Mhz Mobo: EVGA Micro2 PSU: EVGA P2 850W GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti FE

Case: Fractal Design Node 804 Cooler: NH-D15S

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GBSandisk Ultra II 960GB

remove the fan and you got a cup holder ;)

its to heavy to tilt so won't move around the desk quickly.

Mount it!!!!!!.........................................................................................................................................................................on the wall.?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

That oven method sounds interesting, I think I'll do that tomorrow, it's not like I could break anything XD

And if it doesn't work I'll hang it up above my monitors ^^

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

If you remove the fan and what not so it's stripped to just the GPU, you can bake it in the oven at 180C for 6-8 minutes or something (I did this a while back so I can't remember the exact temperature and time) and this should fix the soldering and any issues it may have had (i.e. loose connection).

This is something that works but do it at your own risk, I would recommend Googling this troubleshooting method (GPU Cooking 101) and get the temperature and time correct if you do want to try it. 

This has worked for me with a 9800gt. I would suggest starting with 160C though and if it still doesn't work go up to 180. I have had caps pop and parts come off on that same 9800gt during the second time baking it at 180 or 200C (don't remember exactly)

This has worked for me with a 9800gt. I would suggest starting with 160C though and if it still doesn't work go up to 180. I have had caps pop and parts come off on that same 9800gt during the second time baking it at 180 or 200C (don't remember exactly)

200-210C for 8 minutes worked for my 9800GTX.

200-210C for 8 minutes worked for my 9800GTX.

You can always try lower temperatures and then check if it works. If not you can always put it back in at a higher temperature.

Obviously I am no expert though. All I can say is that ~200C for ~10min "broke" my 9800GT (it was already broken...)