Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Man arrested in London for charging his phone on a public train

A man has accused British Transport police of being “overzealous” and “ridiculous” after he was arrested for charging his iPhone using a socket on a London Overground train.

Robin Lee, a 45-year-old artist based in Islington, was handcuffed and taken to a British Transport Police station on Caledonian Road after his arrest for “abstracting electricity”.

Lee was then arrested on a second offence of “unacceptable behaviour” after “becoming aggressive” when objecting to his prior arrest.

“She said I’m abstracting electricity. She kept saying it’s a crime. We were just coming into the station and there happened to be about four police officers on the platform.

“She called to them and said: ‘This guy’s been abstracting electricity, he needs to be arrested’.”

Abstracting electricity is an offence under section 13 of the Theft Act 1968. It carries a maximum custodial sentence of five years.

That's right. He just plugged his phone into an electric outlet on the train 

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/13/man-arrested-charging-iphone-london-overground-train

I would love to see a picture of the outlet he used. I presume, like most here in the US, they appear to be placed for passenger usage and convenience, as seen below. 

6281226140_9c52194b33_m.jpg

amtrak-11_2048x2048.jpg

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Because logic.

Also, this isn't exactly tech news.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

1. What?

2. Why the hell do you have working outlets if people aren't supposed to use them?

3. WHAT?!

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/13/man-arrested-charging-iphone-london-overground-train

I would love to see a picture of the outlet he used. I presume, like most here in the US, they appear to be placed for passenger usage and convenience, as seen below. 

Don't know how it is in the UK, but in some other european countries the sockets are locked and reserved for an emergency/employee use.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Don't know how it is in the UK, but in some other european countries the sockets are locked and reserved for an emergency/employee use.

That's why I said I'd like to see a picture, because if an outlet is labeled not to use, possibly covered, I understand a bit. But there's no mention of that. And pretty much every train I've ever been on has power outlets meant for that sort of thing. Even buses these days. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Quote from the article:

Electricity sockets on Overground trains are clearly marked with the words: “cleaners use only and not for public use”.

If it was clearly labeled, he was in the wrong, yes. I have never been on an Overground train, but in the ones from National Rail, there are plugs where you can charge your phone etc specifically for passengers.

Still, no need to get aggressive...

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

That's why I said I'd like to see a picture, because if an outlet is labeled not to use, possibly covered, I understand a bit. But there's no mention of that. And pretty much every train I've ever been on has power outlets meant for that sort of thing. Even buses these days. 

I'd imagine it was exactly that. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense for him to be arrested nor he would state the police was "overzealous."

So yeah, I'd presume he just went full "muh rights" on the police and got arrested.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Quote from the article:

If it was clearly labeled, he was in the wrong, yes. I have never been on an Overground train, but in the ones from National Rail, there are plugs where you can charge your phone etc specifically for passengers.

Still, no need to get aggressive...

ah that's interesting. didn't see that. I changed sources at the last second because the guardian had more details. Guess I missed it. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Stupid in the first place, but it reads like he would have walked if he had been "oh sorry about that I didn't realise..." Reads like he was a godshite who couldn't even keep quiet when surrounded by four policemen.

"Lee was then arrested on a second offence of “unacceptable behaviour” after “becoming aggressive” when objecting to his prior arrest."

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I just learned the arrest was made by Police Community Support Officers. That makes  a lot of sense. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Wonder if there's not a law for being a total bitch & not get arrested , oh wait..#Society

Details separate people.

Doesn't that woman have something better to do besides tattle-tale? This 'crime' is on the same level as walking backwards in NYC on a Sunday. To charge his phone it probably used $0.0001 worth of electricity, I don't think the tax money wasted arresting the guy was worth it. TBH that woman should be arrested for being a public nuisance and wasting tax dollars!

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Doesn't that woman have something better to do besides tattle-tale? This 'crime' is on the same level as walking backwards in NYC on a Sunday. To charge his phone it probably used $0.0001 worth of electricity, I don't think the tax money wasted arresting the guy was worth it. TBH that woman should be arrested for being a public nuisance and wasting tax dollars!

He could have downloaded a microwave oven from the app store. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Probs thought he was hacking the train!

Seriously though why leave ports open and around if they are not to be used... Silly....

Also the charger maybe similar to car lighter ports

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

He could have downloaded a microwave oven from the app store. 

Ah yes, one of my favorite apps, second only to the dishwasher app.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

What the hell is going on with that country? And this is coming from an American.

Its going up its own arse

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Genius.jpg

Well I guess the outlet isn't made to be plugged....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

The outlets are standard British 3 pin socket, they are on the floor out of the way and have a sticker "not for public use, only for the cleaners."

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590