Convincing my parents to let me buy a gaming pc.

Prismo_

Why not? It's a good, cheap game. At least when it was an "alpha" back in 2010 and cost $8.46 via "paypal" only. #earlyAdopter

Got it when it was in Beta and $18 (version 1.7 days) #NotSoEarlyAdopter

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

Tell your mom that building a PC is an investment in itself. You save tons of money by building it yourself, plus you learn about computers and such along the way. Hell, build her a PC and she'll see.

I think you should engage in a conversation. Conversation. Do not pick a fight.

Hear out why your mother wants you to invest. Counter that with arguments why you don't want to. I.e. investing is a form of gambling because you can loose your money, or that you have put effort into getting or saving the money and that you want a tangible result, not just some number on a stock thingy.

Explain why you want the PC. Avoid calling it a gaming PC. No parent wants their kid blowing $900 on a toy. Beside that, in my mind every PC can be a gaming PC, just not all would be good at 3d gaming. Why is your laptop not cutting it? What is not working as you want it? Explain why a new device, the PC would be better. I couldn't find why the laptop is bad, but it might be old or lacking a graphics card capable of playing the latest (3d) games.

This may be a slippery slope, but you could say something like that the laptop has reached the end of it's intended lifespan. That it's worn out and should be replaced. But this might an argument that only works on people that know about this stuff.

Be prepared that the question may come why certain things wouldn't work on the laptop. Have your answer ready. 

If that doesn't work, try to reach some form of middle ground. Buy a used PC or upgrade the laptop (SSD?).

Again, it should be a conversation. Or even a series of conversations. Just don't bring it up all the time.

Hi im 13 and I am trying to convince my mom to let me buy a gaming pc I have a laptop  She said ok you can get your new computer and 1 month later she said NOOOO YOU CANT GET IT INVEST YOUR MONEY. What can I do I want to have a good setup I had hours put into my finding peripherals and arranging things and figureing out how to do led's around my desk and in my pc but she wont let me get it.

Explain to her that your hobby is gaming. Then show a typical build which will provide a better, richer experience for a similar price over a console. She'd probably let you buy a console, explain why she should allow you to build a PC as well.

PC building can also be educational. Learning about the chipsets, the different graphics configurations, tuning in your overclocks for the best performance.

Also, explain to her how it's the next logical upgrade from your existing laptop. You're not satisfied with how your laptop is performing and you would like to upgrade. I'm also assuming that because you want a desktop, then you're not fussed about being mobile. A laptop doesn't have to be owned, you can own a desktop instead. 

If she wants you to invest your money (whatever that means, context applies), how can you convince her than investing your money in a PC is productive? Are you interested in coding? PC hardware? Or it could be video editing, CAD, etc etc.

"I want a gaming PC", whatever way you look at it, isn't a good argument.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

The last two responses are perfect. Engage your parents in a logical, reasoned conversation about how to spend the money, and allow yourself to accept that they might actually know better (they most likely do).

And as for my two cents, save it for a few years and buy a car instead. The future version of yourself who likes girls will appreciate it.

The last two responses are perfect. Engage your parents in a logical, reasoned conversation about how to spend the money, and allow yourself to accept that they might actually know better (they most likely do).

And as for my two cents, save it for a few years and buy a car instead. The future version of yourself who likes girls will appreciate it.

Liking girls is irrelevant of whether you're able to attract them. :')

I'm perfectly happy with a gaming PC and motorcycle. ;)

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Liking girls is irrelevant of whether you're able to attract them. :')

I'm perfectly happy with a gaming PC and motorcycle. ;)

Just saying, on that fabled day when he DOES get a date, it helps to have your own wheels, instead of borrowing the parents' or having them drive lol

NEVER! NEVER! NEVER SAY IT'S FOR 

GAMING!

N-E-V-E-R!

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Do your chores. I'm 12 and I was desperate to getting a PC that I was doing my sister's chores :P

Remember, money doesn't grow on trees, and your parents pay bills for electricity and Internet.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

She expects me to invest my money

She works at a bank. She wants me to buy stocks

Sounds like excellent advice to me and trust me once you are all growed up you will be very glad if you choose to follow it (you should mine her brain for as much of that knowledge as you can while you have the chance). It's certainly the same advice I shall be issuing to my two once they get near to your age. They do however have very understanding and sympathetic parents though.

That said it shouldn't be a difficult matter to properly outline your case and if backed and cross referenced with the correct research (lots of valid proposals in this thread for you to form a basis with)... you might be surprised.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Man, all this talk about "logical reasoning with your parents"...when I was 13 all we had was single-player Resident Evil 2 on the n64 and having a "logical debate" with my parents would probably be the last thing on my mind. RE2 was pretty scary though. Wouldn't trade in that experience in for anything, pc or otherwise (although we did have Windows ME for some time haha.)

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Hi im 13 and I am trying to convince my mom to let me buy a gaming pc I have a laptop She said ok you can get your new computer and 1 month later she said NOOOO YOU CANT GET IT INVEST YOUR MONEY. What can I do I want to have a good setup I had hours put into my finding peripherals and arranging things and figureing out how to do led's around my desk and in my pc but she wont let me get it.

Give them good reasons like content creation and how you can make a lot of money out of it.

Just don't be that 13 year old streamer with the annoying voice who gives his Skype on stream.

a gamimg pc is quite a good investment, you wil learn useful things while building it and you wil most likely have it for a long time if you take good care of it.

Spending money on technology never was a good investment if the whole point is gaming, and I seriously doubt anyone would learn useful things just by building a PC alone.

I have several friends that built their PCs and know jack shit about how it works. Yeah, we've reached a point that building a PC is like building legos.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Hi im 13 and I am trying to convince my mom to let me buy a gaming pc I have a laptop  She said ok you can get your new computer and 1 month later she said NOOOO YOU CANT GET IT INVEST YOUR MONEY. What can I do I want to have a good setup I had hours put into my finding peripherals and arranging things and figureing out how to do led's around my desk and in my pc but she wont let me get it.

Asian background? I'm curious because they usually are pretty strict. If that's the case then good luck trying to convince her. Do you have a console? If you do, then you have no leverage on trying to negotiate a deal with your mother.

Consider yourself lucky because you're part of golden generation. I see 12-15 year olds with smartphones/tablets all the time (talk about being spoiled) In the end, you're only 13 so don't be ungrateful.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Sounds like excellent advice to me and trust me once you are all growed up you will be very glad if you choose to follow it (you should mine her brain for as much of that knowledge as you can while you have the chance). It's certainly the same advice I shall be issuing to my two once they get near to your age. They do however have very understanding and sympathetic parents though.

That said it shouldn't be a difficult matter to properly outline your case and if backed and cross referenced with the correct research (lots of valid proposals in this thread for you to form a basis with)... you might be surprised.

Excellent advice? You what?

Asking a child to invest money on something INHERENTLY VOLATILE is completely stupid. If he invests his money on a stock, and it plummets, he's lost his money. His stocks are now worth nothing. What's the point of asking a child to invest their money in something like that?

The money he had been saving up on something he wanted is now gone because his mother has suggested he invested it instead.

If it's his money, why shouldn't he spend it on a PC? Given that he's sensible and doesn't get something like a GTX 980 Ti, something low key like an i3 and GTX 750 Ti, the PC would perform very well.

Let's just paint the scenario here:

You're 13, you save up your money (whatever the means, I don't know the complete scenario), and you want to spend the money on something nice. You decide that you want to build a gaming PC, nothing too drastic, just something that is fun. Does it seem fair that you should be stopped from spending your money on something you want because you should 'invest your money instead'? How can someone seriously ask that of a 13 year old?

Would you stop your child from purchasing parts for a PC, given that he's sensible about it, because he should invest his money instead? Investment shouldn't be something a kid has to worry about with the exception of his damn education.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

Excellent advice? You what?

Asking a child to invest money on something INHERENTLY VOLATILE is completely stupid. If he invests his money on a stock, and it plummets, he's lost his money. His stocks are now worth nothing. What's the point of asking a child to invest their money in something like that?

The money he had been saving up on something he wanted is now gone because his mother has suggested he invested it instead.

If it's his money, why shouldn't he spend it on a PC? Given that he's sensible and doesn't get something like a GTX 980 Ti, something low key like an i3 and GTX 750 Ti, the PC would perform very well.

Let's just paint the scenario here:

You're 13, you save up your money (whatever the means, I don't know the complete scenario), and you want to spend the money on something nice. You decide that you want to build a gaming PC, nothing too drastic, just something that is fun. Does it seem fair that you should be stopped from spending your money on something you want because you should 'invest your money instead'? How can someone seriously ask that of a 13 year old?

Would you stop your child from purchasing parts for a PC, given that he's sensible about it, because he should invest his money instead? Investment shouldn't be something a kid has to worry about with the exception of his damn education.

Look I have to agree with you a child shouldn't invest in volatile investments unless chose it at his own free will...that said stocks need daily maintenance and checking to ensure you make the right choice. Also this Greek economy business is making stock trading difficult. High bank accounts and bonds are far better places to stuff it as I said before

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Look I have to agree with you a child shouldn't invest in volatile investments unless chose it at his own free will...that said stocks need daily maintenance and checking to ensure you make the right choice. Also this Greek economy business is making stock trading difficult. High bank accounts and bonds are far better places to stuff it as I said before

I think teaching a child to invest their money in something like that is stupid. Beyond careers, why should a child have to worry about their future? They've got enough on their plate to deal with.

Teaching a child to be careful with their money, however, that's something that should be hammered into a child without a doubt. Whilst the OP has said he would like to build a PC, which is awesome! But I've seen a price of $900! In my eyes, that's not careful. You're putting a lot of money into something where you could spend $500-$600 instead. 

I wouldn't have dreamt of building a PC for $900 (I think it's £700? I dunno, I'm from the UK), but then, I never asked my parents for anything except for at birthday and Christmas. I probably wouldn't have even built a £400 PC!

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

@Prismo_

I got my first pc (back in the day of LGA 775) around that age (13), so I have some pretty good advice. Ask for permission to buy the pc on a "gift" day that you celebrate (Christmas, Hanukkah, Birthday). Make sure it is the only thing that you ask for. As far as I understand, you're paying for this yourself, as I did. Do not phrase it as a gaming pc. That will get you an instant no.

So here is my advice:

Offer to spend $500-650 on the pc now, and invest the rest of the money. Get a strong cpu (i5 4690(k) or 6 core AMD) and a 750ti. Make sure it is a relatively small case. Parents like small pcs over huge ones. This will leave you for upgrades I will talk about below.

I have been investing most of my money since I was 12 years old. I have made a lot of money by investing. Like ALOT alot. Ask your parents for some good "stable" stock advice. These stocks or Mutual Funds will have a pretty steady curve (usually up) and are not that volatile. Invest 80% of your money here. Invest the next 20% in stocks that you or your parents believe might skyrocket. Then once you make a ton of money off of those, sell your stock and enjoy being rich. You can sell your "steady" shares whenever you feel like.

OK, so now you have a capable gaming pc, and you have pleased your parents by investing a portion of the money, sell some of the stock and use it to buy a better gpu, or other upgrades.

Lastly, make sure to give your parents good reasons why they should let you get a better pc. Special effects, Coding, Web Development, Content Creation (do not say gaming content) are all great reasons. Explain to them the benefits of the reasons.

Experience:

1. I'm studying Psychology and I know how to deal with and "manipulate" people well.

2. I had to do this too.

don't say its for gaming

Edit: or maybe get an aunt or uncle to buy you one without your parents know but have them use your money

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

The trick is to not call it a gaming PC. I built my for the sole purpose of Development... I play Dota and CSGO usually.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

save up until she lets you buy it because new/better parts will be available to you. if you're just using it for gaming then just wait.

Stick to consoles please. We don't need any mouthbreathers screaming into the mic.

Thanks.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

I had a laptop when I was 13 too, use it to play solider front. I don't even know if that games around anymore....

To make money I'd buy chocolate bars in bulk from Sams Club and sell them to students at school since the school doesn't sell chocolate bars anymore lol. It was effective and I made $ really nicely back then. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^