confused with the star wars timeline..

via

im really excited to see EP 7 this december and i want to want to get all caught up again on the movies. but theres so many different timelines and shit im so confused because some of the movies were made out of order? so does it go by order of episodes? my guess is as shows-

EP 1 (Phantom Menace 1999)

EP 2 (Attck of the Clones 2002)

EP 3 (Rvnge of the Sith 2005)

Ep 4 (Star Wars 1977???)

EP 5 (Empire Strikes Back 1980)

EP 6 (Return of the Jedi 1983)

EP 7 (The Force Awakens 2015)

im a little confused at how this could make sense to anyone but can anyone double check if this is right.

EVGA GTX 970 - i5 4460 - Enthoo Pro M

You're the first person I've seen confused by this. Episodes 4-6 came out first, originally. 1-3 were made after them. There is no timeline confusion, none. Just that the story wasn't told exactly in order.

watching them in order (1 to 6)  would be correct as far as the story goes, as to why the episodes where made in this order i have no idea

thats the right order, but i would watch it in the "machete" order

which is 4,5,2,3,6.  1 can be skipped but the music and darth maul warrant a view 

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

watching them in order (1 to 6)  would be correct as far as the story goes, as to why the episodes where made in this order i have no idea

Because 4-6 were the original story. 1-3 is just setup.

After the massive success of EP4 Lucas started having ideas for something like 12 other Star Wars films.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

The original trilogy are the first star wars that were produced, however chronologically, they come later, as episodes 1, 2, & 3 are prequels. After the new trilogy was made, the original trilogy was re-labeled as episodes 4,5, & 6.

The original trilogy are the first star wars that were produced, however chronologically, they come later, as episodes 1, 2, & 3 are prequels. After the new trilogy was made, the original trilogy was re-labeled as episodes 4,5, & 6.

Not really, I remember that the original VHS tapes already had "Episode IV", V and VI in the title back in the 80s. 

Not really, I remember that the original VHS tapes already had "Episode IV", V and VI in the title back in the 80s. 

... pretty sure they were only labeled that on the VHSes released in 2000.

... pretty sure they were only labeled that on the VHSes released in 2000.

hmm ...

I remember watching them in the 80s as a child, but maybe I recall the modern title sequence from watching them again later on and somehow think I saw it like that in my childhood. 

We'll probably never know for sure who is right, and TBH I'm not that bothered by it too.  If I were, I'd be on Ebay right now tracking down an original VHS tape.

-----

EDIT : I did remember it right.

"In its original run, the film was simply called Star Wars. “Episode IV A New Hope” was added starting with the April 10, 1981, theatrical re-release."

Source : http://lucasfilm.com/star-wars-episode-4-a-new-hope

Edited by Captain Chaos