Low-budget air cooling - 30 to 50$

Tex

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for an air cooler for my next build. It's for a 4770k CPU, and a light OC (~4.0 Ghz)

This is what I'm looking for : 

- Somewhat low cost (30 to 50$)

- Quiet (that's a must)

- Easy to install, not too big

Here are my specs (so you can have an idea of the clearance)

- i7 4770k

- ASUS Z87-A

- Fractal Design Define R4

- Corsair Vengeance RAM

Since it's somewhat similar (same RAM size, similar motheroard, same CPU and case) to a build Linus made a few months back, I don't think there would be any clearance issue (he did fit a BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2 in there without any problem), but we never know.

I'm taking the non-windowed version of the Define R4, to take full advantage of the noise dampering effect, and also the left panel is close to a wall, a window would be useless. Thus, I don't mind taking a Noctua heatsink or something like that, it's not pretty but it's not to be seen anyway =P

Thanks for your help!

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is a great air cooler and is only $30USD. Just put some noctua fans on it and you'll be good to go.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

You can get 4 ghz just fine on the stock cooler unless your case airflow is terrible.

The Hyper 212 Evo is a good cooler for the price and should be able to reach up to 4.5 ghz depending on your chip.

Is it too big for you? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hyper 212 evo 

coolermaster 212 evo :)

I knew this was going to be the number one answer for this question so I tried to be the first to say it.. But I wasn't quick enough.. ^_^

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

The 212EVO seems like the perfect choice, low price, looking like the right size, thank you everyone! =)

I was thinking of getting aftermarket fans too for the case, I don't mind paying ~50-60$ to get a few. I'm really looking for a silent build, so anything that can help with that is more than welcome! I did like the Corsair fans, but it was mainly for the look. I'm hearing negative feedback about them, and I don't want something noisy, even if it looks good.

What Noctua fans do you guys recommand? (or any other brand for that matter)

Thank you all for your great help

the fans alone are like 20 each. 

Ya so since he has $50 he can get the 212 EVO and buy 1 Noctua fan with the left over $20 and have push pull configuration for maximum cooling and lowing his temperatures. Also that way he doesn't have to have the fans rpm as loud since theirs 2 fans cooling the fins instead of just one.

Spoiler

-

I know its not air cooling but i would grab the seidon 120XL ( 40 dollars on pcparts picer) and add a cougar silent hydrolic 120 mm fan for silent operatiokn or if you want to upp the buget a lil get a noctua nff12 and you can oc that baby to at least 4.3 ghz and keep silent operaton , also it looks really nice

If you dont wantliquid cooling go with thehyper 212 evo and a noctua nff12

Hope this helped

Interested in Business and Technology

The Xigmatek Dark Knight II Night Hawk Edition. It performs on par with an H100 (if not better), and it's right in your price range (50$)

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xigmatek-cpu-cooler-darkknightiisd1283nighthawkedition

Logan from Tek Syndicate also has a review of it, which you can check out

CPU: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr 3 @ 1150 MHz core/6300 MHz memory | Motherboard: Some crap OEM H67 mATX board | RAM: 16GB Patriot G2 Series Division 4 @ 1333 MHz | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i | Mouse: CM Storm Inferno | Keyboard: crap OEM keyboard (Soon to be replaced with a CM Storm Quickfire TK) | Headphones: Audiotechnica ATH-M50's | Speakers: Corsair SP2500's

the fans alone are like 20 each. 

And? His budget still allows for that... 

The Xigmatek Dark Knight II Night Hawk Edition. It performs on par with an H100 (if not better), and it's right in your price range (50$)

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xigmatek-cpu-cooler-darkknightiisd1283nighthawkedition

Logan from Tek Syndicate also has a review of it, which you can check out here

Isn't that a somewhat noisy fan at 30 dba though?

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Isn't that a somewhat noisy fan at 30 dba though?

30db is perfectly fine. In a load situation a noctua fan runs around 34db.

stock cooler :P nah just kidding i would go with the coolermaster 212 evo 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Thermalright HR-02 Macho. Way better than the Evo for maybe USD 55.

Maximus V Gene | i5-2500k 4.8GHz | 16GiB | GTX470 SLi @ 800MHz| m4 128GB + 240GB 2.5" HDD | Arch Linux + Windows 8

800D + HX850v2 | EK Supreme-HF v2 | 2x EK FC-470GTX (serial) | Black Ice GTX 360 + 3x AP-15 | U2311h | 6Gv2 + G500 | T50-RP