Internet sucks but we have an amazing plan

xXGamerGuy505Xx

I have a router and pc and we are to get 1gbs speed. I have notice though if anyone gets on the internet from a different device the internet goes down to kbs. My downstairs pc is hardwired into the router and the signal also goes down when someone else is online. I am really confused and the internet constantly goes out and any time of day also. Why is it going out and why is my families member laptop destroying the speed of the internet? Steam downloads are only going at 700.00 kbs speed wth! Help me please.

Its not uncommon at all to get less than you pay for

So we are paying for a 1gbs internet and only getting at max 5mbs and that's common now?

Give us...

A speedtest.net WITH other devices

and...

A speedtest.net WITHOUT other devices

I have a router and pc and we are to get 1gbs speed. I have notice though if anyone gets on the internet from a different device the internet goes down to kbs. My downstairs pc is hardwired into the router and the signal also goes down when someone else is online. I am really confused and the internet constantly goes out and any time of day also. Why is it going out and why is my families member laptop destroying the speed of the internet? Steam downloads are only going at 700.00 kbs speed wth! Help me please.

First thing is to check your bill to make sure what are your speeds and if they are lower than what you pay for call tech support for them to help you because it could be a node issue it could also be an issue in your home, you never know until you do proper checks.

You can also check to see if you get the speeds you pay for with just the modem only.

Also check other devices to see what are the speeds they get and cross reference with your ethernet speeds.

You guys say that as if you all have accepted the tardy business practice of the ISPs.

In my country, a company can go out of business if they give you anything lower than what is advertised.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Back when I still lived at home with my parents, we had issues with the speed taking a nosedive and the internet connection essentially locking up and dying on us. It turned out that the ageing router didn't like traffic on certain ports over wifi so I used it as an excuse to upgrade the router to something more modern one and the problem disappeared.

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

So we are paying for a 1gbs internet and only getting at max 5mbs and that's common now?

No that's not common in any way, don't know what the other dude is talking about. What router are you running?

what exact equipment are you using? Router, modem.

Have you done speedtest.net tests to see the actual speeds when you are the only one using the internet, and when other devices are on?

CPU     4790K  4.7GHz @ 1.17 volts

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

First thing is to check your bill to make sure what are your speeds and if they are lower than what you pay for call tech support for them to help you because it could be a node issue it could also be an issue in your home, you never know until you do proper checks.

You can also check to see if you get the speeds you pay for with just the modem only.

Also check other devices to see what are the speeds they get and cross reference with your ethernet speeds.

You guys say that as if you all have accepted the tardy business practice of the ISPs.

In my country, a company can go out of business if they give you anything lower than what is advertised.

Yeah in America its bullshit. We pay for 10mbps or so and get 1-1.5. It's unreliable and fluctuates constantly. Luckily fiber lines are being laid soon

No that's not common in any way, don't know what the other dude is talking about. What router are you running?

Netgear wndr4500v2

what exact equipment are you using? Router, modem.

Have you done speedtest.net tests to see the actual speeds when you are the only one using the internet, and when other devices are on?

Router: Netgear wndr4500v2

Modem: Scientific Atlanta: DPC2100R2

Please send me amazon and newegg links to newer equipment

you might want to check them speeds. think you have your WAN and LAN speeds confused.

you might want to check them speeds. think you have your WAN and LAN speeds confused.

what is WAN

what is WAN

LAN = Local area network, this is normally 10/100/1000mbps (or 1gbps).

WAN = Wide area network, this is you ISP's connection to your house. normally ~25/1mbps for adsl, or some other much lower number then 1gbps.

Modem: Scientific Atlanta: DPC2100R2

that can't be your modem

its not even gigabit

if that really is your modem

then you defiantly need a new one

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Check your CAT5 cables too. If you want gigabit speeds you need CAT5E at the least. Keep them clear of any tight bends and potential pinches, once a cable is stretched or kinked at any point you destroy it's reliability and capability.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

It sounds like you're quoting link speeds, which are link to the other device only. This is not indicative of your internet speeds in any way.

What is your ISP and your plan? If you can give us a link to the service you have subscribed to. I honestly don't think you have a Gigabit internet connection.

Comb it with a brick

What is your ISP and your plan? If you can give us a link to the service you have subscribed to. I honestly don't think you have a Gigabit internet connection.

Blue Ridge Communications

http://www.brctv.com/internet

I must of had my LAN mixed up, so I don't think we getting a 1gbs but we are really getting 5mbs

Maybe it's your router. Get one of these for you computer: http://www.devolo.com/en/Products/dLAN-Powerline-adapters

And one of these for you stuff without an ethernet port: http://www.devolo.com/en/Products/dLAN-Wi-Fi-Adapters

Cats are like tattoos. First you get one, and one year later you've got 12. And if you want to get rid of them you have to use lasers.