Logitech Is Changing Its Name to "Logi" Because Tech Means Nothing

BiG StroOnZ

1330685924077253222.png

You know Logitech, that company that makes the great keyboards, and the great speakers, and the great gaming mice? It’s going to start calling itself just “Logi” now, and that transition begins today.

When I asked exactly why it decided to karate chop its tenured brand name in half, the answer was simple: tech means nothing.

“Tech is everywhere,” says Logitech’s VP of brand development Charlotte Johs, a big “L-O-G-I” comically emblazened on the silk screen behind her. “Tech is in the air you breathe...it’s in your clothes...in the future, ‘tech’ doesn’t say anything,” she tells me.

In a way they have a point. After all, Gizmodo’s own tagline is “Everything is Technology.” There are precedents for the name-splitting, too: Remember when Steve Jobs decided to go all King Solomon on Apple Computer? Now it’s just Apple.

1330685924221499238.jpg

Seemingly a better fitting name for a new brand of Swedish furniture than one of the leading companies for tech accessories, the important distinction is that Logi isn’t a word. It’s not quite “logic,” which was of course the reference in the original name, and I highly doubt they’re referencing Logi the fire giant from Norse mythology. One definite bonus, though, is the company would finally be able to have the same brand in Japan, where Logitech is known as Logicool due to trademark complications. Logi, as far as I’m aware, doesn’t mean anything offensive in Japanese. Phew.

When I asked where exactly this delightfully zen new identify came from, Johs said Logitech’s Boom series of Bluetooth speakers—the company’s most popular product—was in many ways the very first Logi-inspired piece of tech. In other words, the Boom happened when Logitech started starting giving a shit about design. The name just didn’t exist yet, says Johs.

Which conveniently ignores the fact that the Boom already belonged to a premium brand—Ultimate Ears, which Logitech acquired in 2008—but surely the company wasn’t about to start using a headphone and speaker brand for keyboard and mice as well.

And so, Logi was born.

From looks alone, the new logo is a visual step up from its 34-year-old predecessor. It’s clean, modern and has all the visual cues of a 21st-century startup (even the lowercase!). The color palette accompanying the makeover is bright, vivid and “in your face,” another element ripped from its Boom speakers. But it also sacrifices decades of brand identity for a short and sweet logo that’s on the one hand completely unobjectionable and pleasant-looking, but on the other, kind of bland.

The name Logitech isn’t retiring quite yet. For one, it’ll remain the company’s formal name and be sticking around on a lot of Logitech’s older stuff like mice, keyboards, and even Boom speakers...at least for now. But Logitech says, that if everything goes accordingly, Logi will be the name inscribed on almost all the things it makes, because tech isn’t spoken anymore—it’s understood.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/logitech-is-changing-its-name-to-logi-because-tech-me-1716336406

I'm not sure how I feel about this, Logitech has always been a well-known brand for me. I feel as though they are trying to give it a hip new name, but I'm not sure it works here. When I think "Logitech" I think of quality computer accessories that work well, when I think "Logi" I associate it with some sort of failed branding product that never quite made it.

we saw a thread about the logo change today, but now a name change too? D:

I don't like it man.. Wouldn't want to see that logi logo on my keyboard or whatever

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Gonna miss you Logitech :(

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

we saw a thread about the logo change today, but now a name change too? D:

I don't like it man.. Wouldn't want to see that logi logo on my keyboard or whatever

now your keyboard is a collectable

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Source: http://gizmodo.com/logitech-is-changing-its-name-to-logi-because-tech-me-1716336406

I'm not sure how I feel about this, Logitech has always been a well-known brand for me. I feel as though they are trying to give it a hip new name, but I'm not sure it works here. When I think "Logitech" I think of quality computer accessories that work well, when I think "Logi" I associate it with some sort of failed branding product that never quite made it.

Agree, I think they are just trying to appeal to a younger customer base. 

now your keyboard is a collectable

it already was, I touched it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Is this another situation similar to where Galaxy became Galax? Dropping letters off your name makes you hip? Hell, even Domino's pizza did this recently. "We are more than pizza, now we are just called Domino's!"

I don't know. I don't think it adds anything to Logitech to remove tech from the name. The name Logitech made me think "Logic Technologies" which screams something computer related. Logi has no meaning to me. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

This thread needs to be WAY bigger! This is big news, at least to me. Gonna miss you Logitech :(, but this a bittersweet moment. Bittersweet... Now I want some coffee.

Edit: I hope that this new 'hip' change in the company doesn't mean they start making crappy 'hip' keyboards and crappy, small 'hip' mice to go with their 'hip' logo.

'hip'

That 90 degree rotation on the top portion of the g.......................................................Bothers me so goddamn much.

Name change isn't actually referenced in that post. So it's probably "outdated" based on the graphic change.

It's also launching a new label for its latest categories (probably including its non-computer accessories) called "Logi."

Don't think it's really a repost though

Don't think it's really a repost though

Yeah it seems as though in that post/article they weren't really sure what they were doing yet.

I get it with the logo change (you know, transitioning to modern times and such). But LOGI??? Its awkward to even say that :wacko:.

Yeah it seems as though in that post/article they weren't really sure what they were doing yet.

See page 2, someone posted saying they changed their name too and also linked to Gizmodo (probably exact same article as you).

So I don't see this as a repost

That Steve Jobs comparison though. Apple Computers was renamed Apple because they stopped gaining their main profits by producing and selling computers. 

I guess Logitech (or Logi) won't stop producing tech.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

Name change isn't actually referenced in that post. So it's probably "outdated" based on the graphic change.

Yeah, wasn't really sure if it was just know it was on the same subject :)

Sorry for wasting your time with that.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

See page 2, someone posted saying they changed their name too and also linked to Gizmodo (probably exact same article as you).

So I don't see this as a repost

Well I think it deserves its own thread, instead of getting lost in another one. This is a pretty big deal. I've been using Logitech products since I was 12 (I don't anymore, but still, I will always remember them as Logitech)

Yeah, wasn't really sure if it was just know it was on the same subject  :)

Sorry for wasting your time with that.

It's okay, we will see what happens if a mod thinks it deserves a merge maybe they will. Hopefully not, because it should have its own thread.

that reminds me of a cute log, the shit kind of log.

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I like it :)

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I also kind of like it :D

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Retoast sort of I guess?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/402819-logitech-v2/

But I Logi sounds stupid either way.

Is Linus following in Logitech's foot steps and renaming the channel to Linus Tips?

Why not just Linus?

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)