After 14 years, I think i'm done with Newegg.

Arct1c0n

Well, last night was a real indicator that the newegg I once loved and used so much when I first started building my computers back in spring of 2001 has long since died and gone away to the spirtual business world. 

I've spent tens of thousands of dollars with Newegg over the past 14 years on my computer builds and the few issues i've had with bad parts, i've been able to talk with the customer support reps and they almost were alwasy willing to give me refunds on damaged equipment via shipping or factory faults. They even have given me return shipping labels and refunded me shipping costs in the past, it was awesome how flexible and understanding they USED to be.

Flash forward to my latest order, my Gigabyte G1 980Ti that had coil whine issues out of the box and I explained to the rep that a lot of people are having this issue on this model and I don't feel like playing the exchange game with trying to get a better one, I wanted my money back. Below is a CLIFF NOTES version of the 1.5 hour long chat with my second Newegg rep after the first one wouldn't play ball. 

"Nope sorrry, the item is non refundable, its exchange only"

"I understand that but its faulty from the factory and I don't want an exchange, I want my money back. I don't wanna RMA the card and get stuck with a worser one possibly"

"I understand you concerns but there is nothing I can do, we can overnight you a new Gigabyte"

"I don't want that, I just told you, I want a refund. I have been a loyal customer and have spends thousands with you guys over the years which you can look from my account"

"yes, I do see that, thanks for your continued business, we appreciate it greatly. We would be happy to do a cross exchange exception for a new Gigabyte GPU"

"Maam, I DO NOT want another video card of the same model, i've said this twice."

"I am sorry to hear that, let me put you on hold..."  *ten minutes go by

"Because we would be stuck with a useless item in this case, we cannot give you a refund as stated in our policy for these items, I cannot make exception"

"Maam, i've had plenty of reps over the years work with me in getting refunds or different exchanges, why is this so hard right now"

''I can't say sir, I am not them and this is our company policy"

"Do I need to get my credit card company involved in this? I"m sure VISA would be willing to make changes after discussing this with you"

"One moment please....."   *another 10 inish minutes go by*

"Sir, because of your long standing account with us, we will make a very rare exception and give you store credit. Newegg store gift cards don't expire and you can buy whatever you wish"

"That is NOT what I asked for and there is no reason for me, the customer to be stuck with a faulty product or not being able to get my money back for a factory defective item"

'As I said sir, we eat the loss on this situation for this type of item, we can make adjustments as my manager said to give you store credit only this one time. If the item was unopened and unused, that would be different and we possibly could do a refund RMA"

Needless to say, I was not able to politely request my money back for my faulty Gigabyte GPU and the idea of bringing VISA into this situation made me wonder if the legal trouble that could come about as a result.   So I am EXTREMELY unhappy right now with "newer" Newegg in being able to work with me as a long time customer and it looks as if I will just eat the sales tax cost and build my machines with Amazon or possibly B&H photo and TigerDirect etailers in the future as I am beyond disgusted with what occurred last night with what remains of what once was, the god of online computer merchants. 

"We can't refund you because we'd eat the cost of the item". Isn't that what refurbished and open box items are for? It isn't the consumer's fault the item is defective and certainly not the consumer's fault that Newegg has to eat the cost.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Coil whine is not considered worthy of an refund or RMA in the vast majority of cases with most retailers, as far as I know. It's a mechanical side-effect of a VRM sucking power, it doesn't actually affect the performance of the card. If it were DOA, it would be a different story, you could probably refund it with no problem. But coil whine is not considered a fault. It's noise.

Well, last night was a real indicator that the newegg I once loved and used so much when I first started building my computers back in spring of 2001 has long since died and gone away to the spirtual business world. 

I've spent tens of thousands of dollars with Newegg over the past 14 years on my computer builds and the few issues i've had with bad parts, i've been able to talk with the customer support reps and they almost were alwasy willing to give me refunds on damaged equipment via shipping or factory faults. They even have given me return shipping labels and refunded me shipping costs in the past, it was awesome how flexible and understanding they USED to be.

Flash forward to my latest order, my Gigabyte G1 980Ti that had coil whine issues out of the box and I explained to the rep that a lot of people are having this issue on this model and I don't feel like playing the exchange game with trying to get a better one, I wanted my money back. Below is a CLIFF NOTES version of the 1.5 hour long chat with my second Newegg rep after the first one wouldn't play ball. 

"Nope sorrry, the item is non refundable, its exchange only"

"I understand that but its faulty from the factory and I don't want an exchange, I want my money back. I don't wanna RMA the card and get stuck with a worser one possibly"

"I understand you concerns but there is nothing I can do, we can overnight you a new Gigabyte"

"I don't want that, I just told you, I want a refund. I have been a loyal customer and have spends thousands with you guys over the years which you can look from my account"

"yes, I do see that, thanks for your continued business, we appreciate it greatly. We would be happy to do a cross exchange exception for a new Gigabyte GPU"

"Maam, I DO NOT want another video card of the same model, i've said this twice."

"I am sorry to hear that, let me put you on hold..."  *ten minutes go by

"Because we would be stuck with a useless item in this case, we cannot give you a refund as stated in our policy for these items, I cannot make exception"

"Maam, i've had plenty of reps over the years work with me in getting refunds or different exchanges, why is this so hard right now"

''I can't say sir, I am not them and this is our company policy"

"Do I need to get my credit card company involved in this? I"m sure VISA would be willing to make changes after discussing this with you"

"One moment please....."   *another 10 inish minutes go by*

"Sir, because of your long standing account with us, we will make a very rare exception and give you store credit. Newegg store gift cards don't expire and you can buy whatever you wish"

"That is NOT what I asked for and there is no reason for me, the customer to be stuck with a faulty product or not being able to get my money back for a factory defective item"

'As I said sir, we eat the loss on this situation for this type of item, we can make adjustments as my manager said to give you store credit only this one time. If the item was unopened and unused, that would be different and we possibly could do a refund RMA"

Needless to say, I was not able to politely request my money back for my faulty Gigabyte GPU and the idea of bringing VISA into this situation made me wonder if the legal trouble that could come about as a result.   So I am EXTREMELY unhappy right now with "newer" Newegg in being able to work with me as a long time customer and it looks as if I will just eat the sales tax cost and build my machines with Amazon or possibly B&H photo and TigerDirect etailers in the future as I am beyond disgusted with what occurred last night with what remains of what once was, the god of online computer merchants. 

That sucks man, I have a friend who switched entirely over to Amazon because almost any time you bring a complaint to them they fix it no questions asked. Prices are not always as good but you cant reward companies with poor service.

"This item is non refundable"

"I understand"

You indicate that you knew the item was non refundable, then immediately asked for a refund. Just because they've done it before, doesn't mean they'll do it again. In fact, it could be what flagged you - because you've had multiple refunds before they might have called enough is enough (though I admit this is extremely unlikely).

No legal trouble will come from this, why would VISA care? Its not fraud. Courts certainly don't, newegg have fulfilled their legal obligation.

And why exactly would they not be stuck with a useless item if they send a 'new' one? That's what I'd like to know.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I went with Prime a few years ago and i havent looked back.

CPU     4790K  4.7GHz @ 1.17 volts

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

tbh I would have just taken the store credit...

I dont buy stuff from newegg, I usually use amazon or memory express

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I purchased 2 things from them, my MX100 and my HX650.

They sent me a broken HX650 and when I asked them what I can do about it, they said just ship it back to us we'll quickly have you a new one shipped when we get it.

So I overnighted the broken PSU to them and they confirmed they received it the next night. Then it took them 2 full weeks to ship me a new PSU when one of their warehouses is like 40 minutes from me, needless to say I havent used Newegg since.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

"This item is non refundable"

"I understand"

You indicate that you knew the item was non refundable, then immediately asked for a refund. Just because they've done it before, doesn't mean they'll do it again. In fact, it could be what flagged you - because you've had multiple refunds before they might have called enough is enough (though I admit this is extremely unlikely).

No legal trouble will come from this, why would VISA care? Its not fraud. Courts certainly don't, newegg have fulfilled their legal obligation.

Becuase I was going to get VISA and have them do a "Charge back" but I started thinking of the legal implications of doing such. And in the past i've had "non refundable" item purchases with Newegg in the past and after polite discussions with reps, I have gotten my money back, even if I had to eat a restocking free.

I didn't get shit this round is my point. 

Coil whine is not considered worthy of an refund or RMA in the vast majority of cases with most retailers, as far as I know. It's a mechanical side-effect of a VRM sucking power, it doesn't actually affect the performance of the card. If it were DOA, it would be a different story, you could probably refund it with no problem. But coil whine is not considered a fault. It's noise.

It's clearly stated... I would have taken the Store Credit

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

I understand why they can't, the item is technically not faulty, it still works regardless. Also you already gave them money to get an item, for them to give you ALL your money back for what is essentially a loan...

Just deal with it, buyers need to carry their share of responsibility for buying things, you can just buy stuff and go "oh it works fine, but I don't like it regardless, give me my money back".

And why exactly would they not be stuck with a useless item if they send a 'new' one? That's what I'd like to know.

The card can be refurbished by gigabyte, then resold. EDIT: left this uncomplete.

If they take his card back they will lose money in handling the card, and they can't really sell it as new. That means even more loss, considering their margins they would probably lose the amount they could gain.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

I've started to notice more complaints with newegg lately on forums. I haven't ordered anything from newegg since 2011. I'll probably just go the amazon route when I purchace a new rig. It feels weird buying PC parts that are not through newegg. I guess its time to move on to new and better places.

Bullshit. Other video card makers arn't not having such issues and if you looked at GIgabyte reviews on newegg for the 980 Ti I had, lots of people are having some problem with GPU. I generally consider that a factory/design "Defect"  in my book, so why should the consumer get shafted, especially after shelling out $700 for a high end peice of equipment?

Switch to Amazon. Once you go prime, you never go back. 

#2DayFreeShippingBitchez lol

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Great thing about the UK, is the legislations in place to deal with stuff like this. 

Here, they wouldn't even have a choice as to whether or not they can issue you a refund (not sure in the case of coil whine though, as i guess it's arguable that it's fit for purpose and isn't 'defective'). 

Bullshit. Other video card makers arn't not having such issues and if you looked at GIgabyte reviews, lots of people are having some problem with GPU. I generally consider that a factory/design "Defect"  in my book.

No. It's a flaw but it doesn't mean the product is broken or out of spec.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

"Hello, I'd like to return a defective fan."

"What's wrong with it?"

"It makes a low whirr when it spins."

is what you may as well have said.

You clearly don't understand what coil whine is.

Op, with Amazon I think you get one month full refund me questions asked,

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Coil whine isn't a fault per se, they could still sell it as open box.

I didn't get shit this round is my point.

And you shouldn't have. They sent you an item and it made a slightly unpleasant noise .They still offered to replace it (they could probably have got away with not replacing it). They then offered store credit, which if you were going to use the refund to buy a better card anyway is still a solution.

No. It's a flaw but it doesn't mean the product is broken or out of spec.

Flaw = defective in my book and many other peoples. I don't accept products with "flaws" for this kind of money

Flaw = defective in my book and many other peoples.

You and many other peoples are wrong about this and many other thingses.