So I won Beats in a raffle...

SpaceMonkey

A few days ago I won Beats MIXR in a raffle. I haven't opened them yet since I could sell it for more on Ebay/whatever unopened. My question is: Should I sell these and pick up something else? From the research I've done is seems the MIXR is better sounding than a lot of other Beats models, but people still don't recommend buying them. I've been looking at the Audio Technica m40x for a long time. I don't have a DAC, but I'm looking at the Schiit Fulla. Music taste is mostly rock and metal. 

Long time lurker - Vinyl fan - Sim racer

5820K, X99-A, 16gb ram, 512gb 950 Pro, R9 290X, ~5tb of hard drives, Thrustmaster T300, Rift CV1

"It's all in the mind"

Should I sell these and pick up something else?

yes.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I don't know much about audio, but I can recommend you the sennheiser hd518s, I have a pair and they are awesome.

Telling bad jokes since 1996

Intel i5 3470/ Asus P8B75-V / 8GB 1333mhz cheap ass Kingston Ram  / XFX R9 390 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB / Crucial MX 100 256GB / Antec EA650W / Samsung SyncMaster P2370 / Steelseries Apex [RAW] / Logitech G400s / NZXT Phantom White / Moto G 2015 8GB

If you want the best sound quality for the money, of course sell them and get something better.

"Rawr XD"

Beyer Dynamic DT770 pros can go down to 150 on amazon if you're into closed headphones

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

I have a pair of mixers they're pretty good sounding but very uncomfortable so yes I'd say you should sell them.

The m40x are good( and by far worth buying over the m50x) but for the money you'll sell the mixers you can probobly pick up a pair of dt770s or( if you get more money) either a sennheiser empirior/ dt1350s the senns are more neutral while the 1350s are warmer both are amazing though.

I want closed back so I can listen in the library or something. Is the sound quality of the M50x much better than the M40x or is it mostly build quality? 

5820K, X99-A, 16gb ram, 512gb 950 Pro, R9 290X, ~5tb of hard drives, Thrustmaster T300, Rift CV1

"It's all in the mind"

You should beats the shit out of them xD

I vouch for the ATH-M40x.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

No it's as good meaning you might like the fact they got a little bit more bass but I'd say worse mids but for 40-60$ more they are just too overpriced to recommand.

But just to be clear the mixers are not shit they are really good they are just not comfortable.

I've listened to the m40xs and my only complaint is that the highs are a bit... sparkle-y? bright? I'd like something with a warm sound, preferably over the ear. There are so many opinions on Head-Fi etc idk what to believe.

"It's all in the mind"

Shure srh440+840 pads than is a warmer headphone.

If your budget is larger the Sony mdr 1a is a great option as well.

Even if it's decent, it's still overpriced compared to the competition. So don't open it, sell it as 100% new, and buy a new one.

If you got like $200 from selling it, get the MDR-1R, it's discontinued, but apparently amazon still has them. Otherwise, just take your time and pick which one you'd like. 

Might consider senns momentums over/on ear too if you want such portability oriented stuff, and you can't afford/get sony.

I'd recommend the Sony MDR1R or NAD VISIO HP50 if you can stretch the budget.

Even if it's decent, it's still overpriced compared to the competition. So don't open it, sell it as 100% new, and buy a new one.

If you got like $200 from selling it, get the MDR-1R, it's discontinued, but apparently amazon still has them. Otherwise, just take your time and pick which one you'd like.

I know and agree there are better options on the market(pretty sure I listed some) BUT I am sick and tired of people just hating cause it's easy so yes you can do better but it's really not shit.

I know and agree there are better options on the market(pretty sure I listed some) BUT I am sick and tired of people just hating cause it's easy so yes you can do better but it's really not shit.

I believe the original opinion was actually, beats are crap....for their price range. Later on, it's shorten to simply 'beats are crap'.

It's true that it's all gotta put into contexts. For example, razer products are decent. I'd get one if it's below $20. But because they're between $50 to $200(?), then yeah, they're crap...for the price. 

I believe the original opinion was actually, beats are crap....for their price range. Later on, it's shorten to simply 'beats are crap'.

I don't think the general public's opinion of Beats were ever that nuanced to begin with.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Oh yes....sell asap.

Buy anything.....it will be better.

Takstar Pro 80 / Gemini HSR 1000 are killer cans for the money. Upgrade them using HM5 pads though.

The M50x are "alright". By no means better than the Brainwaves HM5's. It's not always on how much you spend. I bought the DT770's and I like the Gemini HSR 1000 better.

sell them and get some real headphones

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Oh yes....sell asap.

Buy anything.....it will be better.

Takstar Pro 80 / Gemini HSR 1000 are killer cans for the money. Upgrade them using HM5 pads though.

The M50x are "alright". By no means better than the Brainwaves HM5's. It's not always on how much you spend. I bought the DT770's and I like the Gemini HSR 1000 better.

Again this "get anything saying" is wrong And annoying because it's obvious you are not treating this as how are the beats mixrs but rather "beats as the brand they were in gen 1".

The beats mixrs are probobly better sound wise than the pro 80.

sell them and get some real headphones

These are not real headphones how? What make other headphones more real?