What language is best to start and how?

Flying_Belgian

Hello 

So i am a 14 year old boy that would like to get into programming myself.

In the past i have done some html and have dont things in "programming applications" like scratch and alice, but i would like to learn something else like java/python/C ++ etc. 

So my question now is what language would be best to start and how could i start?

Btw at home i have a raspberry pi and i am able to use os x (apple os) and windows. (maybe ubuntu too put then i would need to reinstall it.)

Thanks if u're answering 

What would interest you the most?

Making webpages?

Windows/OSX/iOS/Android applications?

Microcontrollers? (Arduino and the like)

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

codecademy.com is the place to start

I started with HTML, then to JavaScript, slowly climbing into C++

Just start writing something, the best place to start is to write something! A clock, a 2d platformer, a calculator, just write!

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

What would interest you the most?

Making webpages?

Windows/OSX/iOS/Android applications?

Microcontrollers? (Arduino and the like)

Most interested in windows/os x apps and mobile apps

then microcrontrollers and the thing im least interested in is making webpages.

codecademy.com

Codecademy is where I learned most languages. You can learn Python, HTML, CSS, JavaScript and Ruby. Sadly, they don't have C++.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Start with Python. Then move into Java and then into C++

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Start with Python. Then move into Java and then into C++

i'd say this is a good route.

python is a great starter language. my friend learned in just 6 months and could make small pixel graphic games.

i've taken a year of C++ and it's rough, but extremely controllable. you'll understand if you try it.

there are books too. Learn python the hard way is a good book for free. the author has other books for other languages too.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

It depends on what you want to do, but in general Python is great starting language. It's fairly easy to learn, is very flexible on the platforms it can run on and things it can do. From building games to cloud services to embedded hardware like the RasPi.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Hello 

So i am a 14 year old boy that would like to get into programming myself.

In the past i have done some html and have dont things in "programming applications" like scratch and alice, but i would like to learn something else like java/python/C ++ etc. 

So my question now is what language would be best to start and how could i start?

Btw at home i have a raspberry pi and i am able to use os x (apple os) and windows. (maybe ubuntu too put then i would need to reinstall it.)

Thanks if u're answering 

Like the others has said, it depends what you want to do.

But, in webdesign class my teacher showed us this site http://www.w3schools.com/

Over there you can learn lots of different things, including HTML, CSS, PHP, etc..

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

Well thanks for all the responses I think i'll try python first and write some simple things like a calculator ......

Alright, I'm going to give this kid some advice.

It doesn't matter. Any of it. The language doesn't matter. The understanding of concepts you get from a language matters.

I'm a back-end developer on servers and web applications and dabble in Android applications (Java, Android uses the JVM, Java Virtual Machine, to execute most apps, though Android does support C++ though it's not recommended by google.)

When you think programming, it's a big world. There's Haskell, Perl, Python, Java, C++ and C, Go, etc etc. But most of this doesn't matter because what you learn in Java or Python can be applied to something like C (Both of the languages have roots to C). What matters is the concepts of programming, syntax is what you have to learn afterwards. Along side with frameworks and libraries.

If you really need to choose, I would go with something that can be used in the frontend and backend world of programming like javascript. Node.js for backend and Angular.js for the frontend, which are both "frameworks". Learning javascript in general is a good idea as it's used everywhere, like every site you've been on has had js.

Now where to learn these you may ask? Don't do codecademy, for the love of god don't do it. It's just shoving syntax into your head and that's about as far as it goes for learning.

Books, books are usually the best. They may be boring for some people but they can really help explain the concepts needed to further yourself as a developer.

The biggest collection of books on different languages I know is right here: resrc.io/list/10/list-of-free-programming-books/

If you need me, get me on twitter @nimsub or PM me. You're young but you can do it. The best start young and then after high school (hopefully you graduate) you can focus on contributing to projects and build a portfolio. Even better, start now. Even if it isn't programming, ask around projects on github or other places to see if you can help. Best of luck to you!

(Also, Python has a calculator built into it, as most langauges do. Though harder equations may have to be further worked upon in code.)

Java is fairly powerful and gives you a wide range of toolbox classes to work with and you can be extremely clever with that language. Although, web applets need to seriously RIP.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Alright, I'm going to give this kid some advice.

It doesn't matter. Any of it. The language doesn't matter. The understanding of concepts you get from a language matters.

I'm a back-end developer on servers and web applications and dabble in Android applications (Java, Android uses the JVM, Java Virtual Machine, to execute most apps, though Android does support C++ though it's not recommended by google.)

When you think programming, it's a big world. There's Haskell, Perl, Python, Java, C++ and C, Go, etc etc. But most of this doesn't matter because what you learn in Java or Python can be applied to something like C (Both of the languages have roots to C). What matters is the concepts of programming, syntax is what you have to learn afterwards. Along side with frameworks and libraries.

If you really need to choose, I would go with something that can be used in the frontend and backend world of programming like javascript. Node.js for backend and Angular.js for the frontend, which are both "frameworks". Learning javascript in general is a good idea as it's used everywhere, like every site you've been on has had js.

Now where to learn these you may ask? Don't do codecademy, for the love of god don't do it. It's just shoving syntax into your head and that's about as far as it goes for learning.

Books, books are usually the best. They may be boring for some people but they can really help explain the concepts needed to further yourself as a developer.

The biggest collection of books on different languages I know is right here: resrc.io/list/10/list-of-free-programming-books/

If you need me, get me on twitter @nimsub or PM me. You're young but you can do it. The best start young and then after high school (hopefully you graduate) you can focus on contributing to projects and build a portfolio. Even better, start now. Even if it isn't programming, ask around projects on github or other places to see if you can help. Best of luck to you!

(Also, Python has a calculator built into it, as most langauges do. Though harder equations may have to be further worked upon in code.)

thanks fpr the advice i'll try reading a book about python then ... and later on i think i'll try java and maybe somewhere in the futurec or c++.

But thnx anyway!

thanks fpr the advice i'll try reading a book about python then ... and later on i think i'll try java and maybe somewhere in the futurec or c++.

But thnx anyway!

Check the schools out humble bundle...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Granted this may change since your young but the best thing to do is to just take a look on a couple of career sites and start looking at the programming positions.  You'll get a good idea of what's in demand.  I'm a c# .net dev (sitting at work now).  But I started with vb.  I did get a degree in development but I didn't go till much later in life after having already been programming on my own for sometime, just wanted that paper to make me more appealing to employers.  If I had it to do all over again I would have gotten into c# sooner and have dedicated more time to mobile application development.  As a native desktop dev sometimes I feel like a dying breed anymore, luckily most companies still need desktop dev's for all of there internal software creations.

Granted this may change since your young but the best thing to do is to just take a look on a couple of career sites and start looking at the programming positions.  You'll get a good idea of what's in demand.  I'm a c# .net dev (sitting at work now).  But I started with vb.  I did get a degree in development but I didn't go till much later in life after having already been programming on my own for sometime, just wanted that paper to make me more appealing to employers.  If I had it to do all over again I would have gotten into c# sooner and have dedicated more time to mobile application development.  As a native desktop dev sometimes I feel like a dying breed anymore, luckily most companies still need desktop dev's for all of there internal software creations.

I get what you are saying but wouldn't it be easier to start of with some easier languages as python/arduino/java and afterwards go for more "needed" languages that companies would require?

I get what you are saying but wouldn't it be easier to start of with some easier languages as python/arduino/java and afterwards go for more "needed" languages that companies would require?

I wouldn't think like that no.  If I wanted to be a basketball player I wouldn't go learn golf first because there both sports just to start all over with something new.  IDE's are different, syntax's are different.  .NET is different from other foundations.  Just learning python or java doesn't mean you'll be good at anything else.  Just means you'll be good at python or java and hopefully have a good foundation and understanding of how things work.  Start with what you "WANT" to program in.  Or if this is all motivated by a future career then start with what was in demand before and is still highly in demand today.  That's not saying that employer's aren't looking for python or java dev's, they are.  I'm just saying don't do one because you think it will make it different for you in order to do one that you really want later.

Definitely use codecademy.com

Its how I know my javascript that I know today. But if you want to be very basic or are like me and want to see it in action, you can mess around with coding in the browser itself, thats how I taught myself HTML :P

But for starters, I would say learn some basic HTML just to see how it all works, and then move into Java

(I also taught myself HTML whenever I was bored in science class, but as far as the teacher knows I was doing my work)

I would start with python Html is not actually a coding language, and is way too easy ( it is too forgiving) it is  still great to learn but Python will give you a better crash course in variable and syntexs then html.

javascript is also good to learn as well.

I would wait to learn C or C++ those are harder languages 

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Definitely use codecademy.com

Code Academy is a bad joke. The only reason it's so popular is because it's used by empowered amateurs who don't know any better.

Code Academy is a bad joke. The only reason it's so popular is because it's used by empowered amateurs who don't know any better.

could you specitfy why it is ? instead of just being rather insulting ?, I personally find it useful and I am an Network administrator student

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

right now i am doing a mix. I am using code academy but also reading books .

I would start with python Html is not actually a coding language, and is way too easy ( it is too forgiving) it is  still great to learn but Python will give you a better crash course in variable and syntexs then html.

javascript is also good to learn as well.

I would wait to learn C or C++ those are harder languages 

Starting off with python and I really like it.... right now I have done some basic things like creating variabels and printing out things and commenting and i've also been able to make a little story where you fill in the blanks using raw_input. 

I really enjoy learning Python right now and i'm learning it with the help of an ebook because I don't really like codacademy.