Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Proof that AMD FX CPUs do not bottleneck high end GPUs

and that is bad ? lol :lol:

a company do good multi core games, is this not good for... let's say... "all" ? lol :D

In a perfect world, yes. Dx 12 should help but we're still years away from it being fully utilized. Hopefully the more than one core feeding the gpu feature will be among the first features adopted. But still, that won't fix any game made without it

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

and that is bad ? lol  :lol:

a company do good multi core games, is this not good for... let's say... "all" ? lol  :D

i'm all for modern multi-core games development, what i'm not for is old outdated inneficient CPU's with very very poor instruction per cycle ratings being sold to unknowledgeable consumers who buy those POS based on impressive specs such as high ''core'' count and high clockspeed thinking it's a good deal...and them after the fact trying to proove that ''well, it's not that bad you know'' when in fact just about every professional reputable tech reviewers already proved that this piledriver architecture couldnt even compete with sandy-bridge 3 or 4 years ago when it launched. It couldnt compete back then, it still can't today...the FX-8350 is a ''good'' low/mid-range option, it's nothing more than that and it SHOULD NOT be paired with today's modern higher-end graphics solutions, plain and simple.

EDIT:

Please note that this only applies to GAMING and other daily tasks, when it comes to video/photo encoding and rendering for example or other multi-threaded scenarios YOU DO get your money's worth with something like an AMD FX-8320 and a cheap 6 or 8 phase 970 socket AM3+ board.

Edited by i_build_nanosuits

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X Trio 2ghz OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Rift S

This is not proof in either way for multiple reasons:

1) your sample size is way too small to state a general point.

2) GTA V is significantly better at using multiple threads that the VAST majority of games. It is one of the few games where an FX 8350 will perform as well as an i5 if not better. BFH is another game that is very core hungry.

3) running a game at 4k more often than not takes the cpu out of the equation. It will rely so heavily on your gpu to pump out 60ish fps that it won't stress the cpu too much; in this case the GPU is more of a bottleneck than the cpu is. CPU bottlenecks are more obvious when a card is processing frames so fast that the cpu cannot process information at that pace and needs to slow the gpu down.

4) No comparison. MSI afterburner gpu load measurements are not a conclusive way of showing if a bottleneck is there or not. More notably, minimums won't be as noticeable; you may miss dramatic dips in gpu usage by trusting that graph, and in general some of the small dips you CAN see could maybe be avoided with an i5 for all we know. To have a proper test, you'd need to run a core i5 with the same gpu at the same settings with proper measiring tools and see if all numbers are within margin of error or if one has an advantage, be it average or minimum framerates.

@XCalinX

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Dying light

Hitman:absolution

world of tanks

watchdogs

Skyrim

Crysis 3

Metro

DeadRising 3

Arma 3

GTA 4

Euro Truck Simulator 2

DayZ

Any of the assassin's creed

Farcry4

Planetside 2

You own any of these games? those are only SOME of the games i tested in which my FX-8320@4.6ghz was absolutely NO MATCH for my GTX 780...even at 1080p...even with 8xMSAA.

Battlefield 3 and 4 where running great though...and tomb raider...basicaly the AMD optimised games developped for weak multi-core chips.

Yeah, I own some of them. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with them and your rig. Fortunately, I haven't.

The thing is, that there are many games where any fx cpu will bottleneck anything as powerful as a 290/970. You may not have experienced it but that doesn't make it a myth. So yes head in the sand applies quiet aptly in this instance if you truly believe that fx cpus don't bottleneck high performance graphics cards.

Please don't misrepresent me. I didn't say that "fx cpus don't bottleneck high performance graphics cards", because I don't make those sorts of crass generalisations. No doubt, if you're using your Titan X with an FX 6300, you're a fool, much as you are if you're using it with a i3. 

As for my situation, I'm sure there are certain scenarios where my CPU could bottleneck my system. I just haven't encountered such a scenario, having played a wide variety of titles. 

My Phenom II at 4.0ghz could not feed my GTX 480 to full load in a lot of games.

AMD Phenom II B55 Quad / unlocked dual core 4.3ghz CB R15 = CB 422
XFX R9 390 8GB MY RIG: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MVwQsY
Fastest 7770 on LTT . 3rd Fastest Phenom II Quad on LTT

PCSX2 on AMD CPU? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/412377-pcsx2-emulator-4096x2160-amd-phenom-ii/#entry5550588

In a perfect world, yes. Dx 12 should help but we're still years away from it being fully utilized. Hopefully the more than one core feeding the gpu feature will be among the first features adopted. But still, that won't fix any game made without it

and this is why, people should be "really happy" that companies do multi core games

and they should be really mad when "in 2015" by the way, companies release bad games on multi core

you see my point friend is it ?  ^_^

now... what companies still do s non multi core games ?... mmm... let me think...

You got to be VERY delusional kid to think that this user is only loosing 8FPS on average from using an old AMD FX chip for his CPU along with a super powerful high-end GPU such as the GTX 980Ti as opposed to him having a proper CPU for the card such as an overclocked core i5-4690K or an i7-4790K for example.

That's all there is to say, it's just plain lame.

I said in the 3D Mark 11 CPU test I get 8 FPS less than FX 8350s with dual channel. I run single. And gaming is one of the few categories where the 4690k is superior to the 8350

Show us your physics score under 3D Mark 11.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6974539

PCSX2 on AMD CPU? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/412377-pcsx2-emulator-4096x2160-amd-phenom-ii/#entry5550588

Yeah, I own some of them. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with them and your rig. Fortunately, I haven't.

Please don't misrepresent me. I didn't say that "fx cpus don't bottleneck high performance graphics cards", because I don't make those sorts of crass generalisations. No doubt, if you're using your Titan X with an FX 6300, you're a fool, much as you are if you're using it with a i3. 

As for my situation, I'm sure there are certain scenarios where my CPU could bottleneck my system. I just haven't encountered such a scenario, having played a wide variety of titles. 

i'm not misrepresenting anything. high performance is a general term so i'll just say that what i consider high performance starts at the 970 level which includes the 290 and 290x since they are so close. 

I use an overclocked (4.5 Ghz) FX 6300 with my R9 290, and I can't say I've seen any bottlenecking in the games I've played so far. I've noticed there are quite a few myths surrounding FX CPUs, I suspect mostly from people trying to justify an alternative purchase. 

Right, I do monitor GPU loads. Like I said, I've not noticed any bottlenecking, even whilst using DX 11. And that is on its way out, of course. 

benchmark after benchmark, test after test from reputable professional tech sources show bottlenecks of varying degrees across a wide variety of titles (and a variety of titles that show little to no bottlenecking to be fair) however, you stated that there are many myths associated with the fx. which is not true. i'm going to leave it at this rather than to continue arguing. my head in the sand comment didn't help, didn't mean to offend you.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Hey guys,

I've seen a lot of people on this forum hating on AMD CPUs and telling people that it will bottleneck their higher end GPUs, and I got hated a few times for using my 8350 with a 980 Ti, so I started this topic to prove them that there's little to no bottlenecking. I admit that the i7 4790K is a better overall CPU and might get you 4-5 extra frames but I hate when people say that the i5 4690k is so much better than the 8350. It's not, it's marginally faster in gaming and a little bit slower in rendering.

I am really sorry mate, so the wrong forum to try and say AMD is good/ half good at anything, I know and you know that AMD is not all that bad but sadly this forum is no longer full of open and well minded people...

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

and this is why, people should be "really happy" that companies do multi core games

and they should be really mad when "in 2015" by the way, companies release bad games on multi core

you see my point friend is it ?  ^_^

now... what companies still do s non multi core games ?... mmm... let me think...

some games really don't need multiple cores. some games if they loaded more cores, would only have each core running at 10% load or so. not something that specifically helps the fx line really. what will help is the dx 12 draw call changes. that's where most of the bottlenecking issues lie. and the reason why multicore isn't more wide spread is that most pcs out there only have dual and quad core cpus. from a developement standpoint, it makes sense to code for the majority of your market i guess.

hopefully things will change soon, but i'm keeping a realist outlook on this.

My rig:

i'm not misrepresenting anything. high performance is a general term so i'll just say that what i consider high performance starts at the 970 level which includes the 290 and 290x since they are so close. 

benchmark after benchmark, test after test from reputable professional tech sources show bottlenecks of varying degrees across a wide variety of titles (and a variety of titles that show little to no bottlenecking to be fair) however, you stated that there are many myths associated with the fx. which is not true. i'm going to leave it at this rather than to continue arguing. my head in the sand comment didn't help, didn't mean to offend you.

Well, you did: you misrepresented me. I can only repeat what I've already said: having played a wide variety of titles, my CPU has yet to bottleneck my 290. You needn't worry, by the way: I wasn't offended. 

As for the myths, I think it's pretty much undeniable there are many myths about FX CPUs. You need only look at this forum for examples. 

I am really sorry mate, so the wrong forum to try and say AMD is good/ half good at anything, I know and you know that AMD is not all that bad but sadly this forum is no longer full of open and well minded people...

the biggest problem most of us have with people saying "AMD can too" and "AMD is cheaper" is that it provides bad information to people building systems NOW. in 2015. so these people see a thread like this, don't do any further research and buy an FX cpu because of the above reasons, believing skewed results and such. they get their systems built, and suddenly they see that an i5 4460 would have been around the same price, with better performance and now they are stuck on a dead platform, with no upgrade path at all. yeah, totally worth being open minded when people throw money away and get burned by these kind of posts. besides this "proof" is completely skewed using only 2 games, both well optimized for multi core processing, with one of them being run at an effective resolution of 4k which is pretty much gpu bound. ya... completely close minded to point that out huh?

its not like i'm a life long intel fanboy. this i5 i have is the FIRST intel i've ever bought because for the first time, i couldn't justify the performance loss of an amd cpu. ever single pc i've ever had before this had an amd cpu and i'm still a fan of team red. the problem is that they abandoned the fx line and the am3+ platform. so ya. until amd releases something competitive, enthusiasts are going to continue to say that fx cpus are a terrible choice in 2015 for a gaming pc. plain and simple. enthusiasts go after performance, not ok performance or good enough performance, but great performance. not surprising why so many people on this (and other forums) recommend intel at almost any price point.

My rig:

Allright but keep in mind that a 8350 with dual channel destroys mine with single channel RAM

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/9994276

nice  :D

Allright but keep in mind that a 8350 with dual channel destroys mine with single channel RAM

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/9994276

So a CPU with double the core count of a 2500k at 4.7ghz could not beat a 4 core sandy at 5088mhz?

Now let me just point this out to you, that same i5 demolishes all FX systems in BF4 with a GTX 480 (CPU limited)

It's just time to grab some popcorn at this point...

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 750Ti
Case: Corsair Air 240 White Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB PSU: Corsair CX500 Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: SteelSeries Kinzu V2 Operating System: Windows 8.1N

So a CPU with double the core count of a 2500k at 4.7ghz could not beat a 4 core sandy at 5088mhz?

Now let me just point this out to you, that same i5 demolishes all FX systems in BF4 with a GTX 480 (CPU limited)

P6762 - kipper - i5

P13587 - XCalinX (winner) - FX

P6762 - kipper - i5

CPU score derp (physics)

sure, sure, we can take all the numbers you want lol  :lol:

I asked for his physics score which is CPU score... it came out worse vs a 2500k with half the core count, BF4 runs better on 2500k too :D

I asked for his physics score which is CPU score... it came out worse vs a 2500k with half the core count, BF4 runs better on 2500k too :D

he won in your own game, deal with that

P6762 - kipper - i5

he won in your own game, deal with that

P6762 - kipper - i5

980Ti vs single 480, LOL he lost in CPU debate, not GPU.

I'll just leave this here: http://anandtech.com/bench/product/697?vs=288

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 750Ti
Case: Corsair Air 240 White Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB PSU: Corsair CX500 Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire Rapid (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: SteelSeries Kinzu V2 Operating System: Windows 8.1N