Proof that AMD FX CPUs do not bottleneck high end GPUs

Hey guys,

I've seen a lot of people on this forum hating on AMD CPUs and telling people that it will bottleneck their higher end GPUs, and I got hated a few times for using my 8350 with a 980 Ti, so I started this topic to prove them that there's little to no bottlenecking. I admit that the i7 4790K is a better overall CPU and might get you 4-5 extra frames but I hate when people say that the i5 4690k is so much better than the 8350. It's not, it's marginally faster in gaming and a little bit slower in rendering.

I tested out 2 of my favourite games at this moment: Battlefield Hardline and GTA V. If people really want I can do a stock speed test too.

Here are the specs of my system:

AMD FX 8350 @ 4.7GHz

Gigabyte 990FXA UD5

8GB XMS3 Single Channel

GTX 980 Ti reference overclocked to 1100 but boosts to about 1300

Coooler Master V650 PSU

Custom watercooling loop.

So first off, here's BF Hardline, at 1080p. The settings are all on ultra, except I use 200% resolution scale instead of 4X MSAA, so pretty much 4K with no MSAA. As you can see, the GPU usage is close to 100%, meaning that there's no bottleneck.

VB42Mw0.jpg

9Rzs2lj.jpg

And now GTA V. The settings were on ultra, 1080p, 8X MSAA, with the exception of extended shadow and distance scaling and grass which was on Very High instead of ultra.

dYWzfaU.jpg

As you can see, there was little to no bottlenecking in these 2 games. I hope this will make people who rage that the 8350 will bottleneck modern GPUs shut the hell up.

Thanks for reading.

PS: When the GPU usage dips down is becausseI paused the game.

You run battlefield hardline at 4k... Of course there isn't gonna be a bottleneck since at that resolution the games become gpu dependent. Also not to mention that the price of the 8350 with a 990 fx board and water cooling is as much as an i7.

It bottlenecks high end GPUs, as someone who has has used the product first hand

At 4K the gpu dependency is there, but back when I had the 8350 at 4K I would definitely say the bottleneck is still there

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Yes. Overclocked to 4,7ghz it almost matches the performance of an i5.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Highly clocked AMD CPUs perform well compared to Intel, still i wouldnt run anything higher than 970 or 290X with an AMD CPU, theyre great chips, but old and with limitations.

You run battlefield hardline at 4k... Of course there isn't gonna be a bottleneck since at that resolution the games become gpu dependent. Also not to mention that the price of the 8350 with a 990 fx board and water cooling is as much as an i7.

GTA V was 1080p tho...

GTA V was 1080p tho...

gta v is exceptionally well multithreaded and gpu intensive as well.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

If you just look at benchmarks, it's very clear that it bottlenecks. It's a well accepted fact. The CPU is old, and the socket is pretty much dead now. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-14.html

EDIT: Obviously, not all games will bottleneck. Battlefield is one of the few games that use multiple cores very well, and GTA V is extremely well optimised and runs well on pretty much everything. 

i have a challenge for you , test PlanetSide 2 i can't stay at 60FPS with everything on low .. it dips down from time to time ; on the other hand people with i3 CPUs stay at 60 if not over that 95% of the time

this is what i'm getting atm with Raptr and my specs

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

At such high resolution, or with 8xMSAA, you're GPU bound, so of course the GPU usage will be maxed out. You obviously don't quite grasp what bottleneck is.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

i have a challenge for you , test PlanetSide 2

Planetside uses like one thread, its a death sentence for AMD.

gta v is exceptionally well multithreaded and gpu intensive as well.

True dat, i hope more games come with such CPU optimazation like GTA V and Witcher 3 has, really happy how my FX 6300 performs in them.

I wouldn't trust a FX CPU with more then a 960/280

If you play games with crappy multi threading support i wouldnt go with AMD in first place, in well optimised games FX will handle 970/290X easy.

At 4K or 8xMSAA of course you will be GPU bound most of the time. 

a7b108e8dca865d2972094197beaa7fedadf0c15

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

people are such fanboys these days its pathetic, do any of you not realise that people go with fx series for budget builds? i had an fx-6300 as my first cpu and tbh it was actually pretty quick, especially for multitasking, the only difference i have seen from the fx-6300 to my i7 4790 is streaming, this can stream 720p and 1080p no problem but the fx couldnt.

gaming wise i actually didnt see much of a difference if any at all and thats with a gtx 970.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

people are such fanboys these days its pathetic, do any of you not realise that people go with fx series for budget builds? i had an fx-6300 as my first cpu and tbh it was actually pretty quick, especially for multitasking, the only difference i have seen from the fx-6300 to my i7 4790 is streaming, this can stream 720p and 1080p no problem but the fx couldnt.

but amd fx cpu's are far from budget. you can get i5+h81 for the price of fx6300+ decent 970 board.

Spoiler

I'm just going to leave this post here. I wasn't able to find the proper post about it, and it's a long-ass read. But worth it.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/394524-will-fx-8350-be-equal-to-i5-4690k-in-gamingdx12-and-multitasking/?p=5323897

it is the post, just spoilers got messed up by recent update to the forum.

Spoiler

Planetside uses like one thread, its a death sentence for AMD.

not anymore , check my comment again , i think its a month now from the latest performance optimization patch ; nowdays we're not CPU bounded anymore

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

it is the post, just spoilers got messed up by recent update to the forum.

I know it's the post. I just can't remember if there was a thread he made about it, or just a reply to someone with all of that. Either way, it's worth the read.

I wouldn't trust a FX CPU with more then a 960/280

Even then Dying Light was a stuttering mess with an FX-6300 @ 3.9GHz and GTX 960. 

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

but amd fx cpu's are far from budget. you can get i5+h81 for the price of fx6300+ decent 970 board.

And if you truly wanted budget it's not coming from the FX line, 55$ for a 860K and 30$ for a FM2+ motherboard and you got the per core performance then a FX-4350.

Honestly this is one of the worst attempts yet.

I had an FX-8350 and a GTX 780 and I had benchmarks to prove you're wrong, lmao.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.