Analysts predict PC game sales are gonna top console game sales in 2016?

Bouzoo

So industry researcher PwC (first time hearing about them myself), did some research and this is what they say. Now basically anyone can do that right? Well before starting a debate, you should probably read the full article, cause it's quite huge. 
Also to point one thing, the big game changer here is, obviously, Steam. Apparently 75% of games sold on PC are sold via Steam. Praise Lord Gaben aye?

Sales generated by PC games are poised to overtake those for video game consoles, a monumental shift that is many years in the making, according to data from industry researcher PwC. By the end of 2016, PC game sales are expected to reach $29 billion around the world, compared with $28 billion in sales for the console market.

The gap will continue to widen over the next few years, thanks to the growing popularity of PC-based gaming in other countries, like China and India.

The video game industry is going through rapid change. Gone are the days when people played games only on specialized devices, like a video game console. Smartphones, tablets, set-top boxes and virtual reality systems have begun to change the way video games are played, as well as how we all pay for them.

"You could have said 10 years ago that there were three major platforms: Console, PC and Web," said Brian Blau, an analyst with research firm Gartner. "Now you have TV streamers, mobile devices -- you even have watches today. There's so many more types of devices to play games."

One of the biggest beneficiaries of that change has been the PC, which has become the only way to play some of the best-looking and most popular games in the industry and to enjoy some of the most cutting-edge features online gaming has to offer. And later this year, that will also be the only way to play high-quality virtual reality games, offering players the opportunity to strap on a headset and transport themselves to all manner of imaginary worlds.

So what do you think? Highly possible or impossible? No matter the outcome, I just hope we get better ports on PC (and by that I mean devs actually caring). 

Now one thing to point out is that these numbers are not quite the same as the ones that other sites have. Example. So I'm quite sceptical about this. But we'll see.

Source

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

There are way more PC game sales than console game sales

The only thing those numbers tell you is that console games are priced multiple times higher than PC games

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So industry researcher PwC (first time hearing about them myself), did some research and this is what they say. Now basically anyone can do that right? Well before starting a debate, you should probably read the full article, cause it's quite huge. 

Also to point one thing, the big game changer here is, obviously, Steam. Apparently 75% of games sold on PC are sold via Steam. Praise Lord Gaben aye?

So what do you think? Highly possible or impossible? No matter the outcome, I just hope we get better ports on PC (and by that I mean devs actually caring). 

Source

Sales, Exclusively on PlayStation 4 PC.

How about actually developing for PC and not porting?

Sales, Exclusively on PlayStation 4 PC.

How about actually developing for PC and not porting?

I wish that were to happen, but sadly that's not the reality. One step at a time.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

In returns.

This

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I thought we were all pirates? /s

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

PC will be the test bed with VR for possibly 4 or 5 years, at least until console or set-top devices have the graphic horsepower to output dual 2k images at 90 fps. I think most of that will come from SOC's with HBM, because the high bandwidth memory will allow for massive amounts of color compression, data caching and motion prediction, along with Heterogeneous Memory Architecture and HSA to balance memory, compute and graphical load as its needed. Were talking probably 3 years at least before you see a console launch with those features. I believe Nintendo may be tinkering with VR on their NX console, but that is only a gut feeling of mine because Nintendo have always been big with the interactive experience (duck hunt anyone?).

Of course, claiming VR will be the big push to get people onto PC is stretching it, because few can afford the graphic horse power needed for decent VR at this point.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Possible. China has been called a nightmare for consoles. When you go wallmart the pc game shelf look pathetic but they have an awesome selection they can sell and deliver via email at there website.

Also with Kavari I can build a gaming system for 2 to 250 that will give console performance or better.

Took awile to figure out why a company that used names like bulldozer and piledriver started naming stuff after an indian river

Maybe the one thing that DX12 on xbox one will bring, is easier ports to the pc.

PC will be the test bed with VR for possibly 4 or 5 years, at least until console or set-top devices have the graphic horsepower to output dual 2k images at 90 fps. I think most of that will come from SOC's with HBM, because the high bandwidth memory will allow for massive amounts of color compression, data caching and motion prediction, along with Heterogeneous Memory Architecture and HSA to balance memory, compute and graphical load as its needed. Were talking probably 3 years at least before you see a console launch with those features. I believe Nintendo may be tinkering with VR on their NX console, but that is only a gut feeling of mine because Nintendo have always been big with the interactive experience (duck hunt anyone?).

Of course, claiming VR will be the big push to get people onto PC is stretching it, because few can afford the graphic horse power needed for decent VR at this point.

A 5 year lifecycle of the console would be nice, doubt it will happen in 3 years. I personally think we are one to two generations off good VR on consoles, I'd think 6-10 years. Yeah HBM etc will help but they aren't going to make the PS4/XBOne obsolete in 3 years.

Maybe the one thing that DX12 on xbox one will bring, is easier ports to the pc.

The problem with PC prots isn't that they are not easy. They are, very easy in the age of x86 consoles. Problem is they don't give a fuck becuase there's no company in control of PC gaming, no MS or sony, to pay them. They think "if it runs bad, they just need a better computer" when they should be made to run on a 7870 with a low en AMD cpu on lower settings, just like the consoles. 

They literally just don't give a shit, trust me. Batman was made on UE3, and I'd bet they just exported to PC with the editor and made few further changes. These days game engines have a lazy way out built in basically. How you can make a UE3 game run like shit on PC is beyond me. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

It makes sense PC games are cheaper and that's a reason why PC gamers spend so much money on games and they don't play them or play them for a little while then it's just in library like that.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

The problem with PC prots isn't that they are not easy. They are, very easy in the age of x86 consoles. Problem is they don't give a fuck becuase there's no company in control of PC gaming, no MS or sony, to pay them. They think "if it runs bad, they just need a better computer" when they should be made to run on a 7870 with a low en AMD cpu on lower settings, just like the consoles. 

They literally just don't give a shit, trust me. Batman was made on UE3, and I'd bet they just exported to PC with the editor and made few further changes. These days game engines have a lazy way out built in basically. How you can make a UE3 game run like shit on PC is beyond me. 

Pretty much this.  The API involved isn't the problem, XBone is running D3D11 and so is PC, the issue is that ports are lazy.

Also D3D12 is allowing things like multiple draw threads to reduce draw call bottlenecks and it is lowering CPU overhead.

A 5 year lifecycle of the console would be nice, doubt it will happen in 3 years. I personally think we are one to two generations off good VR on consoles, I'd think 6-10 years. Yeah HBM etc will help but they aren't going to make the PS4/XBOne obsolete in 3 years.

what's frightening is that the xbone and ps4 are already 2 years old. I didn't realize it until I read your post.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

"Nobody plays games on PC!"

PwC:  *Ahem*

[witty signature]

Pretty much this.  The API involved isn't the problem, XBone is running D3D11 and so is PC, the issue is that ports are lazy.

Also D3D12 is allowing things like multiple draw threads to reduce draw call bottlenecks and it is lowering CPU overhead.

what that really means is like AC unity there will be no attempt to reduce draw calls now. Bye bye good old texture atlases and things. 

muh specs 

All parts black

But PC gaming is dead.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

The problem is AAA.

There are like 20 games worth buying on both consoles. (Right now) There may be thousands on Steam. The thing is, many of the games on Steam are smaller, more focused titles for $2-$40 each, (and AAA games when on sale) while the gargantuan focus-testing assembly-line industry is diverting a lot to consoles simply because they can charge $60 forever. So people buy quantity on Steam, but buy what they (erroneously) perceive as 'quality' on consoles. A few games worth buying might even be console exclusive, aka. ransomware.

The quantity of Steam sales is spread amongst a huge amount of publishers and developers, while the narrow selection on consoles means that every publisher will make more per game.

Which is why AAA and consoles will never fully disappear. There's too much incentive for the biggest publishers to spew out literal shit like Ryse, The Order, Destiny et al. just because of the profit they can make on a single game. On PC they might have to make 3 games per every 1 console game. And that requires actual creativity and pre-production, which is exceedingly rare amongst said publishers and developers.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

They already did in 2014 so.....yeah. If anything is dying, it's consoles. At least I hope they are. Not because of the inherent problems of the platform, but the amount of negative influence the companies behind them are having on the industry as a whole *cough*recentbatmangame*cough*.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I don't understand how this is news. Oh well, I don't give a shit about more than half of the topics posted in this section anyways (not including reposts).