SSHD is better than HHD ? in term Speed or long time durability ?

Raghav Arya
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

in term Speed or long time durability ?

Hey there Raghav Arya,

SSHD drives are basically regular HDD drives (most commonly spinning at 5,400 rpm) with a small SSD portion (most of the times 8GB in size) that is used for caching. The drive usually has an algorithm that figures out what are the most commonly used applications and files (such as the OS and applications that you work with/games you play) and stores their loading files on the SSD so it can read them much faster when launching them. Everything else loads pretty much as fast as on a regular drive.
These drives are pretty useful if they are used on computers that run just a few programs most of the times (office machines, gaming computers, etc.) so the drive knows what is used most of the time and loads it faster. The down side is that you have no control whatsoever over what goes to the SSD portion and if you use several things on the computer you never know what will load faster and what won't. 
In terms of reliability, they should last just as any regular HDD, but they have an additional point of failure (the SSD portion) which theoretically increases the chance of the whole drive failing.

Captain_WD.

Higher speed cache.

I don't know about durability but i'd imagine its the same as a normal HDD.

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

better application exec speed yes. reliability is bout the same. if using in tandem with ssd its pretty much useless.

An SSHD is essentially a normal HDD with SSD storage for cache. So frequently used programs will be stored in cache and will launch faster. 

To be honest, the speed is not really noticeable and not worth the price IMO. You'd be better off getting a normal SSD and spending a little more on an SSD as well. 

An SSHD is essentially a normal HDD with SSD storage for cache. So frequently used programs will be stored in cache and will launch faster. 

To be honest, the speed is not really noticeable and not worth the price IMO. You'd be better off getting a normal SSD and spending a little more on an SSD as well. 

I mean it kind of is worth it if you go with the 70 dollar ones. Only ten bucks more, really.

For systems with only one drive I would say it would be a good idea to get a SSHD, for example a laptop with only one 2.5" slot. I've got one in my laptop, startup Windows a couple of times with a few startup programs for cache to pick it up and boots up as fast as my desktop. If you have room for more than one drive then it's probably better to save a bit more for a SSD boot/HDD storage combo for more control over what needs the speed priority besides the OS obviously.

in term Speed or long time durability ?

Hey there Raghav Arya,

SSHD drives are basically regular HDD drives (most commonly spinning at 5,400 rpm) with a small SSD portion (most of the times 8GB in size) that is used for caching. The drive usually has an algorithm that figures out what are the most commonly used applications and files (such as the OS and applications that you work with/games you play) and stores their loading files on the SSD so it can read them much faster when launching them. Everything else loads pretty much as fast as on a regular drive.
These drives are pretty useful if they are used on computers that run just a few programs most of the times (office machines, gaming computers, etc.) so the drive knows what is used most of the time and loads it faster. The down side is that you have no control whatsoever over what goes to the SSD portion and if you use several things on the computer you never know what will load faster and what won't. 
In terms of reliability, they should last just as any regular HDD, but they have an additional point of failure (the SSD portion) which theoretically increases the chance of the whole drive failing.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/