R7 360 vs R7 260x

UnitedMi

Hello,

I'm in a spot where I'm stuck between buying a R7 260x and the new R7 360.  Those cards are what I'm considering because I just what to stick to AMD with my build (I have legit OCD and having an AMD CPU, GPU, and RAM just makes able to sleep at night) and my budget is extremely limited atm.

After looking at the cards they seem similar in stats and GPUBoss shows the R7 360 having less FPS in many games, which I assumed was just due to the card being new and the drivers are not yet fully optimal and the only feature difference being R7 360 has FreeSync.

So, my question is, which should I go for at this moment?

The 360, it will have full DX12 support. As well as being supported further into the future than the 260x

The R7 260X is more powerful, since it has 896 Stream Processors, and the R7 360 only has 768. Go for the R7 260X. Also, do not use GPUBoss for GPU benchmarks, it's quite horrid, it's good for just comparing specs though.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Given other relevant data, the R7 260X will still perform better and it is also supported by DirectX 12 with its GCN 1.2 architecture.

The 360, it will have full DX12 support. As well as being supported further into the future than the 260x

• 1 month later...

Same question here. 260x is better but there are some newer features missing in it like FreeSync and Frame Rate Target Control.

• 2 months later...

Same question here. 260x is better but there are some newer features missing in it like FreeSync and Frame Rate Target Control.

The 260x was one of the 200 series cards that supports Freesync. - https://community.amd.com/community/amd-partners/blog/2015/05/11/what-is-freesync-an-explanation-in-laymans-terms

FRT is "Available on the following products: AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury X GPU, AMD Radeon™ R9 300 Series, AMD Radeon™ R7 300 Series, and AMD Radeon™ R7 260 and above GPUs" - ( http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/frtc )

Just came across this post on google and since it's not too ancient we can clarify those things at least. It's having some better deals than a 360 right now so it's worth noting.