ASUS AMD FM2+ Motherboards Revealed, Hints Launch for Kaveri Coming Soon

http://www.techpowerup.com/187726/asus-launches-worlds-first-motherboards-for-amd-fm2-apus.html

Most notable in the article is now AMD chipsets will support PCI-e Gen 3 connectivity, and new chipsets (A88X and A55). What do you think? With AMD's new architecture Steamroller around the corner, I'm curious to think how it will stack up to Haswell. We also may see Kaveri in the coming months.

221a.jpg

221b.jpg

I'm really hoping Steamroller will be viable competition in terms of sheer, raw performance to Intel's CPUs. This could spark Intel into leaning towards enthusiasts much more than what they are right now.

hope steamroller will still use AM3+ :S

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

FM2+ will be for Kaveri, this doesn't involve steam roller at all. 

hope steamroller will still use AM3+ :S

With AMD's track record of CPU backwards compatibility, most likely so. Kaveri has a socket change this time around, so it makes you wonder if they'll do it to AM3 or not.

Kaveri is using Steamroller cores.

AMD-2013-roadmap.jpg

Interesting that all of the Sata ports on the board are the same color, usually that means they're all the same type and from the same chipset. A88X to support 6 native Sata III's? that'd be awesome

Interesting that all of the Sata ports on the board are the same color, usually that means they're all the same type and from the same chipset. A88X to support 6 native Sata III's? that'd be awesome

I wouldn't doubt it, AMD loves SATA 6Gb/s. Also, if you look close at the SATA ports on the ASUS motherboards, all of them are labeled (SATA6_X), respectively.

I wouldn't doubt it, AMD loves SATA 6Gb/s. Also, if you look close at the SATA ports on the ASUS motherboards, all of them are labeled (SATA6_X), respectively.

kinda sucks that there is still a VGA port on the back, i'd prefer a display port or something instead but considering what the target market is I guess I get it

kinda sucks that there is still a VGA port on the back, i'd prefer a display port or something instead but considering what the target market is I guess I get it

I don't either. VGA and HDMI are two connections that I just don't feel should be in a PC environment at this day and age.

I don't either. VGA and HDMI are two connections that I just don't feel should be in a PC environment at this day and age.

on these types of products, an HDMI i get because the APUs make great HTPCs so HDMI is nice. 

on these types of products, an HDMI i get because the APUs make great HTPCs so HDMI is nice. 

I'm sort of on Linus' side about HDMI shouldn't have been the HD standard, so I guess I'm biased :P 

I'm sort of on Linus' side about HDMI shouldn't have been the HD standard, so I guess I'm biased :P

It shouldn't be, but it is. If you wanna plug something in to a tv, HDMI is the easiest right now.

oh i cant wait to see how steamroller cores work

amd fx 6300  @4.4ghz @1.4/ga-970a-ud3/HD78702gb /antec 620w psu

Individual mouse and keyboard PS/2 ports on the rear I/O plate, I'm guessing the board designer had issues with USB keyboards? :D

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Asus also EOL their new 990FX motherboard, the Satertooth 990FX/GEN3 R2.0. That kind of hints to new mobos coming, at least in my opinion.

Kaverei is a steamroller apu. So what did you mean exactly????

This is a microatx motherboard. That usually means not high end and limited options due to space. Wait for a full ATX variant to be released in the next2 or 3 months that will be full featured. This same chipset may be released on AM3+ to usher in pciExpress 3.0 and possibly steamroller for AM3+

A85x supports 8 Sata3 ports off the chipset already, so one would assume the update to it would support more.

AMD has always had better I/O, continues to this day, most Intel mobo's are barely 2 SATA3 or use two different controllers to get more than 2 SATA3's.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

That ugly gold scheme again? WHY ASUS WHY

We could always go back to the times where PCBs/motherboards where universally blue and green for the most part *barfs in mouth*

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Glad that they finally made support for PCI-E 3.0 but this wasn't too disappointing when they didn't have it before because the performance difference of PCI-E 2.0 and 3.0 were very minimal.

That ugly gold scheme again? WHY ASUS WHY

They want to be unique so everyone will now recognize Asus boards from their good theme :). I actually got used to seeing gold boards now and find them not as bad anymore lol.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I would've kept blue, but JJ wanted to break the rules and be a badkid. :P

Yeah the blue boards were a lot better.

Why are they even bothering with ATX form factor? I don't see why you would have a low end socket that puts the GPU on the die on anything but Mini-ITX or at least Micro-ATX. I certainly wouldn't buy an FM2+ system unless I could make it extremely compact. Making a big motherboard for an iGPU system defeats it's entire purpouse.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.