Arkham Knight 30FPS Lock and multiple GPU issues

ApolloEleven

UPDATE: Game is now sitting at 36% rating at Steam reviews. It seems very low. Something is definately wrong.

An article from Forbes seems to suggest there is a 30FPS lock unless you edit the .ini file, this is 2015, we should not have to do this.

And a Nvidia Titan X cannot even run it well, even in SLI.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/06/22/pc-version-of-batman-arkham-knight-is-hot-garbage-amd-and-nvidia-users-both-unhappy/

So it is not just AMD having issues I guess, though they suffered the most out of this. Previous thread here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/391734-batman-arkham-knight-doesnt-like-amd-cards/

Please keep flaming to a minimum

THIS IS WHY YOU DO NOT PRE-ORDER!

Here we go again.

That statement raised a red flag in my head, as it was eerily reminiscent of the issues that AMD Radeon users were initially faced with in both Project Cars and The Witcher 3. Some strongly suspected foul play with regards to those titles and their implementation of Nvidia's NVDA -0.46% GameWorks tech. Regardless which side of that argument you fell on, early testing of Rocksteady’s Arkham Knight on PC seems to indicate that the game is currently hot garbage for both Nvidia and AMD customers.

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh, and there’s a 30fps lock, which is only deactivated for the built-in benchmark. Yes, 24 hours after I reported that it would be ludicrous for Fallout 4 to ship in that state. It’s editable in an INI file, but we live in 2015 now, right? Why would you force this on your less technically savvy users?

Back to the matter at hand: Early reports from the Steam Community are littered with complaints about stuttering, terrible optimization, crashes, and a variety of other issues. Several gamers are complaining about memory leaks and a framerate well below 30fps even with GameWorks options turned off, 1080p resolution, and components that exceed Rocksteady’s recommended requirements. I’ve seen multiple customers claiming they can’t maintain 60fps (after unlocking the framerate) at 1080p with Nvidia’s $999 Titan X.

Another issue highlighted by users on NeoGaf: Nvidia’s “Game Ready” 353.30 driver for Batman: Arkham Knight seems to contradict its own title within its release notes, since it’s bad news for users with multiple Nvidia cards in SLI:

• [sLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Heavy flickering occurs in game after Alt+Tab if SLI is enabled. [200116723]
  • [sLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Severe stuttering seen, especially in indoor scenes, when the game is running at 4K resolution and NVIDIA Gameworks settings are turned on. [200116722]
  • [sLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Random flickering occurs in the game if SLI is enabled. [200116717]
  • [GM206, SLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] Stuttering occurs and performance drops after shadow quality settings are toggled. [200116694]
  • [GK180, SLI, Batman: Arkham Knights] When SLI is enabled, a crash points to ntdll.dll shortly after the game is exited. [200116717]

Perhaps SLI support should have been pulled until it was ready? For Nvidia’s most hardcore customers (e.g. the ones buying multiple video cards), this has to be disappointing. But at least the effort was made to implement support on Day 1. The latest AMD Radeon driver, released earlier today, doesn’t have Crossfire support enabled.

NeoGaf has a thread devoted to PC performance analysis, and it’s pretty disheartening so far. The game is powered by the incredibly mature Unreal Engine, which scales very well across a wide range of hardware. This just points to poor optimization, in my opinion. I suppose there’s a very outside chance that none of these early gamers are using the latest drivers. Very outside chance…

These shoddy PC ports have to stop, or at least be qualified and tested more thoroughly before release. I’m not assigning blame here, but there’s undoubtedly plenty to go around.

UPDATE: Great post by Shakaza here:

ARRRRGH! Why do people never listen?! If we keep pre-ordering, we will keep getting burned. Is it still not clear at this point?! We have, time and time again, seen games that are buggy or utterly broken on launch day, all so the publisher can make a quick buck before reviews come out. Battlefield 4 was unfinished on it's released, and although it wasn't directly because of the aforementioned reason, it goes to show these companies should not be blindly trusted. Do we all need to be reminded of the disaster that was Assassin's Creed: Unity? Do I need to tell all of you about the missing faces, floating eyeballs, and the utterly abysmal performance of it? Do you not remember the review embargo that carried over after the game was released, done for the sole purpose of getting people to impulse buy the game before seeing an objective review of it?

And now this! TotalBiscuit has spoken and said that there are no review copies of the game for him to have! What does this tell us? It says that they are not confident enough in their product to feel that a review or critical analysis of their game will be positive and thus result in boosted sales. What they believe is that they need to get as much money from the consumers as possible before reviews come out so they don't realize the game's true nature before they bought it. 

Ugh, this really grinds my gears. The consumer is not completely at fault here, but he has played a role in this. Remember, people. No matter how much a developer or publisher in the past has been trustworthy, do not believe that it will always be so in the future. Always be skeptical and be a discerning consumer. You won't be burned as much that way.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

Well my friend is not going to like that, but he did get the game and season pass for $35.

he has a 270x i think.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Must suck to get burned for preordering. 

I guess they'll have it fixed in a week or two, hopefully. 

They've been buggy at launch before, they'll be buggy at launch one last time too I guess. Shame.

I just played for 45 minutes and it was incredible as a game at least. It seems like a bug to be honest. The game is locked at 30fps but not the very start of the game, and not the benchmark test.

It at least gave me a chance to go willy-nilly with the PhysX settings. Gorgeous.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

I don't care much, got the game for free :P and they will fix most of the issues eventually

30fps lock? Seriously? It looks like a great game but wtf is going on in the studio?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Kids, we have learned time and time again, STOP PREORDERING. People cry about games being crap, but there willing to shell out the cash before the game even comes out. If people didn't preorder and everyone waited till the game came out and saw that it didn't run well than they would not pay for it. We can fix this people. Stop it, just stop.

Friend pre-ordered it... He had a 750 xD.

Buy this is Bullshit, 30 fps lock for what? If they made the physic engine frame based then they're retarded...

Boys, Mark my words, this is unity 2015.

- snip-

Friend pre-ordered it... He had a 750 xD.

Buy this is Bullshit, 30 fps lock for what? If they made the physic engine frame based then they're retarded...

Boys, Mark my words, this is unity 2015.

as long as it doesn't have floating eyeballs it isn't Unity 2015

Unity-Glitch-Stock-Drop-1.jpg 

"Lets completely abandon PC players, that'll earn us more money"- Arkham Knight Devs 2015

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Kids, we have learned time and time again, STOP PREORDERING. People cry about games being crap, but there willing to shell out the cash before the game even comes out. If people didn't preorder and everyone waited till the game came out and saw that it didn't run well than they would not pay for it. We can fix this people. Stop it, just stop.

Imma leave this here : https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/611956659104129024

Must suck to get burned for preordering. 

I guess they'll have it fixed in a week or two, hopefully. 

People who pre-order deserves it :P

Every time a person preorders they'll ruined it for the rest of us. Why preorder when its digitally distributed? They won't run out of copies....

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

They've been buggy at launch before, they'll be buggy at launch one last time too I guess. Shame.

I just played for 45 minutes and it was incredible as a game at least. It seems like a bug to be honest. The game is locked at 30fps but not the very start of the game, and not the benchmark test.

It at least gave me a chance to go willy-nilly with the PhysX settings. Gorgeous.

So the game is NOT locked at the beginning but the rest of the game is locked at 30FPS? That is odd.

This is ridiculous. It's so unstable I'm afraid it might freeze my computer if I play too long.

In the benchmark I get 60fps (I turned the cap off manually) on low with AA on

In the game I get less than 30 with all settings cranked down to their lowest or off, and it stutters like crazy.

They better respond soon or I'm refunding.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

This is ridiculous. It's so unstable I'm afraid it might freeze my computer if I play too long.

In the benchmark I get 60fps (I turned the cap off manually) on low with AA on

In the game I get less than 30 with all settings cranked down to their lowest or off, and it stutters like crazy.

They better respond soon or I'm refunding.

Hello, care to share your rig? What drivers are you currently using? Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind I saw it in your profile page. Game seems heavily unoptimised.

I thought this was a Gameworks title?  :rolleyes:

That close-knit dev/nvidia relationship sure is working out.

Hello, care to share your rig? What drivers are you currently using? Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind I saw it in your profile page. Game seems heavily unoptimised.

Downloaded the game-ready drivers. I figured my PC wasn't going to run it like butter but this is ridiculous.

Spam the hell out of Rocksteady's twitter. Let them know this crap isn't acceptable. If they don't respond in 3 days then refund. 

I got the game for free from my 970, but I'm not going to bother playing it until it's fully patched. Playing a buggy game just ruins your experience.

ARRRRGH! Why do people never listen?! If we keep pre-ordering, we will keep getting burned. Is it still not clear at this point?! We have, time and time again, seen games that are buggy or utterly broken on launch day, all so the publisher can make a quick buck before reviews come out. Battlefield 4 was unfinished on it's released, and although it wasn't directly because of the aforementioned reason, it goes to show these companies should not be blindly trusted. Do we all need to be reminded of the disaster that was Assassin's Creed: Unity? Do I need to tell all of you about the missing faces, floating eyeballs, and the utterly abysmal performance of it? Do you not remember the review embargo that carried over after the game was released, done for the sole purpose of getting people to impulse buy the game before seeing an objective review of it?

And now this! TotalBiscuit has spoken and said that there are no review copies of the game for him to have! What does this tell us? It says that they are not confident enough in their product to feel that a review or critical analysis of their game will be positive and thus result in boosted sales. What they believe is that they need to get as much money from the consumers as possible before reviews come out so they don't realize the game's true nature before they bought it. 

Ugh, this really grinds my gears. The consumer is not completely at fault here, but he has played a role in this. Remember, people. No matter how much a developer or publisher in the past has been trustworthy, do not believe that it will always be so in the future. Always be skeptical and be a discerning consumer. You won't be burned as much that way.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

30fps is easily unlockable via ini file located in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Batman Arkham Knight\BMGame\Config

BmSystemSettings.ini is the file. Look for "Maxfps" it'll say "30" .. switch it to 60 or 120 or 144 or 200.. or 300.. whatever you want.

On my system? nope... it doesn't work flawlessly, no graphics options properly like motion blur, tesselation, AA right nothing special but I believe in Rocksteady, they're not lazy bums and they'll fix it. hopefully I am right.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

30fps is easily unlockable via ini file located in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Batman Arkham Knight\BMGame\Config

BmSystemSettings.ini is the file. Look for "Maxfps" it'll say "30" .. switch it to 60 or 120 or 144 or 200.. or 300.. whatever you want.

On my system? nope... it doesn't work flawlessly, no graphics options properly like motion blur, tesselation, AA right nothing special but I believe in Rocksteady, they're not lazy bums and they'll fix it. hopefully I am right.

Switch it to 0 to turn it off completely.

It doesn't fly like that anymore. Now that you can get refunds on Steam, I don't see many people holding onto their copies.

Unless PRe-orders factor into those 2 weeks then Valve can eat a bathtub of shit.

It doesn't fly like that anymore. Now that you can get refunds on Steam, I don't see many people holding onto their copies.

Unless PRe-orders factor into those 2 weeks then Valve can eat a bathtub of shit.

How do you refund a free code when you bought a new GPU though?

Because if I bought a GTX 970 or 980 and choose a free Arkham Knight code from Nvidia promo bundle I would be pissed, could've choosen The Witcher 3 instead or something else.