Basement Water Cooling Project (No More Remote Trigger - July/8/2016)

We'll see when the time comes, but the main res will NOT be higher than the cpu block. That's also, part of the point of this project. I don't mind always keeping the main pump on, if it's rated for it.

you can have the res in the basment just have to make sure its airtight the res so the water cant do any funny things . i will see if i still have the youtube vide of what happens to the water when it has a free path out . all the fluid in my upper rad decided it was time to leave and shoot out of my res once i turn the pump off with out caping the res first

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

you can have the res in the basment just have to make sure its airtight the res so the water cant do any funny things . i will see if i still have the youtube vide of what happens to the water when it has a free path out . all the fluid in my upper rad decided it was time to leave and shoot out of my res once i turn the pump off with out caping the res first

If there's any air in the upper part of the loop then once you turn the pump off it will decompress and potentially overflow the res.  You can also use this to your advantage if you want to drain the whole thing, have a T fitting with a cap at the highest point in the loop and when you uncap it all of the water will run out to the lowest point of the loop...kinda sorta with a siphoning effect so the loop will be pretty close to totally empty.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Ahh okay. I was looking here, where this one is labeled for 19 feet. https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/dazmode_storm_d5_strong_8-24v_pump/(just googled for it)

thats on 24v off a controller not the psu's 12v rail which dazmode's link on that item doesnt work not may places sell the 12v to 24v converter anymore . any strong or -b version can do that but that pump will do a max of 10foot on 12v since it has the stock top

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

If there's any air in the upper part of the loop then once you turn the pump off it will decompress and potentially overflow the res.  You can also use this to your advantage if you want to drain the whole thing, have a T fitting with a cap at the highest point in the loop and when you uncap it all of the water will run out to the lowest point of the loop...kinda sorta with a siphoning effect so the loop will be pretty close to totally empty.

yea but its not so fun when your filling it and want to add more =( learned the hard way use the multport cap with a hose comming out to fill . but yes adding a bleed port is great for that but he will have QD's so draining it is a joke

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

yea but its not so fun when your filling it and want to add more =( learned the hard way use the multport cap with a hose comming out to fill . but yes adding a bleed port is great for that but he will have QD's so draining it is a joke

Yeah I've been there too.  That's why I built this: 20150621_192336.jpg

Thing screws in and gives plenty of volume for the res to overflow while doing initial fill.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Alright, so for a res down low, air tight is important. I'm gonna look more and more into the right way to do the pump / res, so the pressure on the fittings is fine. I can imagine theres gonna be a sweet spot where, I can have the pump in the basement, and it provides enough pressure to get upstairs, but isn't so intense that it blows fittings off xD.

Alright, so for a res down low, air tight is important. I'm gonna look more and more into the right way to do the pump, so the pressure on the fittings is fine. I can imagine theres gonna be a sweet spot where, I can have the pump in the basement, and it provides enough pressure to get upstairs, but isn't so intense that it blows fittings off xD.

thats what compression fittings are for its abit safer with them less chance of hose blowing off http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-acf-compression-fitting-10-16mm-3-8-x-5-8-nickel.html

a compression is a barb fitting with a collar that screws over makes the tubing be held in 2 places the barb then screwing the collar makes the barb grip better

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

thats what compression fittings are for its abit safer with them less chance of hose blowing off http://www.performance-pcs.com/ek-acf-compression-fitting-10-16mm-3-8-x-5-8-nickel.html

Compression fittings are even more dangerous than a barb + clamp, because you have no idea what the clamping pressure those fittings are giving.   They're quicker to work with and more aesthetically pleasing, but not safer (they're also more expensive too).

I've also been doing more search and found this chart about the Little Giant pumps.

LittleGiantQuarium.GIF

At 12 feet of head pressure, the 2-MDQ-SC pushes about 250GPH, which is right around where I want to be for a CPU and a GPU (Or so I've read). I can't imagine I'd be blowing off compression fittings, or damaging water-blocks with that sort of pressure.

Compression fittings are even more dangerous than a barb + clamp, because you have no idea what the clamping pressure those fittings are giving.   They're quicker to work with and more aesthetically pleasing, but not safer.

(forgot to edit the last post) Well I'm not about to get hyper-anal and completely avoid compression fittings, when, as long as I'm careful about pressure, will be fine. I am an aesthetic neat-freak, and compression fittings are an absolute must.

(forgot to edit the last post) Well I'm not about to get hyper-anal and completely avoid compression fittings, when, as long as I'm careful about pressure, will be fine. I am an aesthetic neat-freak, and compression fittings are an absolute must.

Yeah, I'm not saying no one should ever use compression fittings...just in areas where a leak can't be afforded the best bet is spring wire clamps because they maintain a constant tension even over time as the hose gets crushed.  A variant is used for automotive hoses for this reason: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EN062K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

(they're also really fast to work with compared to worm drive clamps).

Compression fittings are even more dangerous than a barb + clamp, because you have no idea what the clamping pressure those fittings are giving.   They're quicker to work with and more aesthetically pleasing, but not safer (they're also more expensive too).

i was always told that compressions are safer in all ways the barbs . if you use tubing that is the correct size some people still try to shove a 1/2 OD tube on a 5/8 compression fitting since thats what you do to a barb to make sure its really good and sung. doing that on a compression the collar will cut the tube and it will blow off . 3/8 x 5x8 tube   3/8 x 5/8 compression same with all other tubing sizes. and if the ziptie/ what ever you use on barb breaks and you have a high resistance loop that tube will decide to make a new path for its flow

Yeah, I'm not saying no one should ever use compression fittings...just in areas where a leak can't be afforded the best bet is spring wire clamps because they maintain a constant tension even over time as the hose gets crushed.  A variant is used for automotive hoses for this reason: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EN062K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

(they're also really fast to work with compared to worm drive clamps).

the hose doesnt get crushed its just held in so it cant move anyway .

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

i was always told that compressions are safer in all ways the barbs . if you use tubing that is the correct size some people still try to shove a 1/2 OD tube on a 5/8 compression fitting since thats what you do to a barb to make sure its really good and sung. doing that on a compression the collar will cut the tube and it will blow off . 3/8 x 5x8 tube   3/8 x 5/8 compression same with all other tubing sizes. and if the ziptie/ what ever you use on barb breaks and you have a high resistance loop that tube will decide to make a new path for its flow

the hose doesnt get crushed its just held in so it cant move anyway .

Well he wasn't talking about using Zip-ties. But I think that compression fittings will be fine for this project. The WHOLE system will have it's tubing measured, cut, and plugged into place, but I WILL run it for 24 hours w/ w/e pump I use w/o the computer itself on, to ensure leaks aren't gonna happen.

I know it's not on topic, but I absolutely love the cable management you put into that setup of yours. It's really great and the effort is shown very well. :)

I know it's not on topic, but I absolutely love the cable management you put into that setup of yours. It's really great and the effort is shown very well. :)

My entire office, and house is like that :) Thanks!

I would recommend you upgrade your CPU and MoBo setup first. A 3960X may be good, but it is growing old and tired. For someone who makes a living off their PC, I would recommend an upgrade to a 5960X or 5930K and Asus's latest sabertooth X99 motherboard to continue tradition. I doubt you would be willing to remove the $100 CPU block and buy a new one just because you didn't upgrade in the first part. The 560mm rad looks cool, so I would recommend Noctua IndustrialPPC fans to fit it, as they are reliable, quiet and some of the best performing fans out there. Reliability in this setup is a must, as you will not regularly be viewing the fans in operation to make sure they are all functioning properly. For the fittings, I recommend bitspower fittings. They are good. A standard D5 pump should work, as it has a high head pressure and decent airflow, will fit in your case, and is more reliable. A 12 litre reservoir should be much more than enough, a 1L should be plenty. The average custom cooled PC has 250mL reservoir, 1/4 of a litre. Don't go with frozenCPU, as their company is currently in a lot of... things, apparently the drug-addict boss fired everyone though is rehiring now, Their site is still receiving payment though as far as I know, though the parts won't get shipped.

I would recommend you upgrade your CPU and MoBo setup first. A 3960X may be good, but it is growing old and tired. For someone who makes a living off their PC, I would recommend an upgrade to a 5960X or 5930K and Asus's latest sabertooth X99 motherboard to continue tradition. I doubt you would be willing to remove the $100 CPU block and buy a new one just because you didn't upgrade in the first part. The 560mm rad looks cool, so I would recommend Noctua IndustrialPPC fans to fit it, as they are reliable, quiet and some of the best performing fans out there. Reliability in this setup is a must, as you will not regularly be viewing the fans in operation to make sure they are all functioning properly. For the fittings, I recommend bitspower fittings. They are good. A standard D5 pump should work, as it has a high head pressure and decent airflow, will fit in your case, and is more reliable. A 12 litre reservoir should be much more than enough, a 1L should be plenty. The average custom cooled PC has 250mL reservoir, 1/4 of a litre. Don't go with frozenCPU, as their company is currently in a lot of... things, apparently the drug-addict boss fired everyone though is rehiring now, Their site is still receiving payment though as far as I know, though the parts won't get shipped.

1 hes been fine doing it with a 3960x 

2 going x99 hes looking at 700$+ for the min setup or nearly a grand for the high end chip

3 for the fans on his rad its on  another floor so noise ant a problem

4 bitspower fittings are the tightest ones they make so for a beginner like him its not worth the trouble also there the most pricey

5 one d5 ant enough hes looking at 10+ feet of tubing and a set of QD's

6 he wants to use a large res not a 1/2 litter one a few gallons at once he wants

7 frozen is dead

8 no payments can be sent anymore to frozencpu it was pulled after the merchant carrier for him got hit with so many charge backs they went back to the stone age then went to the big bang .

edit also his post was probably a troll

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

I doubt you would be willing to remove the $100 CPU block and buy a new one just because you didn't upgrade in the first part.

A. Why do you underline everything? hard to read.

B. I'll buy a waterblock that has mounts for both platforms. problem solved.

as i said he was probably a troll has one post saw you and knew who you are

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

"Following this" If I ever get my own place (love your house tour @AntVenom!) I would love to do something like this, especially since my area in Texas can get pretty hot sometimes.

Keep us up to date on the steps/progress of this project, maybe even via video! ;)

A. Why do you underline everything? hard to read.

B. I'll buy a waterblock that has mounts for both platforms. problem solved.

TBH, I didn't know it was underlined. That was the stock typing setup for me. Didn't know that 2011 mounts are universal. Does that mean you are thinking of upgrading? I'd recommend EK waterblocks nickel plexi if you are wondering. Line time fan BTW. I made a map if you are interested. It involves parkour, but is also puzzle themed. Hopefully it isn't too painful. Fan recommendation due to him not being near the fans. If you can never hear them, there is no audio cue to indicate one of them has failed. A reliable fan is wanted. If ant is planning on turning his basement into a functioning area, a quieter fan would be better, that said, they are great fans in every way. Especially if he has to run them at a greater RPM to push the air through the 80mm monsta. Also, y m i da trele?

TBH, I didn't know it was underlined. That was the stock typing setup for me. Didn't know that 2011 mounts are universal. Does that mean you are thinking of upgrading? I'd recommend EK waterblocks nickel plexi if you are wondering. Line time fan BTW. I made a map if you are interested. It involves parkour, but is also puzzle themed. Hopefully it isn't too painful. Fan recommendation due to him not being near the fans. If you can never hear them, there is no audio cue to indicate one of them has failed. A reliable fan is wanted. If ant is planning on turning his basement into a functioning area, a quieter fan would be better, that said, they are great fans in every way. Especially if he has to run them at a greater RPM to push the air through the 80mm monsta. Also, y m i da trele?

I'm not thinking of upgrading yet, no. If I ever get the spare cash to throw at an upgrade, maybe. But presently, I'm good. 3960x isn't out of date yet.

AntVenom's "Whole Basement Water Cooling" <3

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

As a Mechanical Engineer that has been working on solar thermal loops for years, I might just have something to add to this topic.

I think creating two loops may have some added benefit if configured in the following way.

post-156169-0-33855100-1434947977_thumb.

This is a modification on a method of storing solar thermal energy, allowing the warmest fluid to be available at any given time.  The large reservoir naturally moves the warm water on top and the cold water down below.  As long as there isn't too much churning, the fluids should stay stratified.  In this case we simply want the warmest water to be moved to the radiator at all times.  Same concept, different application.

Natural convection may also be a means of moving the warm water to the radiator without the need for an extra pump, as long as a radiator can be found that has an inlet on each end (important!).  Otherwise a pump could be added to this second loop to force this flow and allow for a more horizontal installation as follows.

post-156169-0-24348800-1434948344.png

Also, the addition of thermal sensors (cheap) and a controller (Arduino) could allow for any configurations proposed so far to operate automatically while not running the pumps and fans 24/7.  I think automation would be a great advantage regardless of loop configuration and is relatively easy now.

Sorry if anything was already stated, this is quite a long thread and have only skimmed through the posts.