AMD's 3xx series tessellation "not" improved - performance boost comes from the drivers

zMeul

so you can get the 290x to perform the same as a 390x?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Assuming AMD is "good guy greg", which they're not. They're a business.

Were there any driver updates which improved 200-series performance but not the 7000-series counterparts? Or are you going to go even farther and say that this is the end of driver updates for the 200 series?

so you can get the 290x to perform the same as a 390x?

With an overclock and up to 4GB vram, unless you have an 8GB 290X

Were there any driver updates which improved 200-series performance but not the 7000-series counterparts? Or are you going to go even farther and say that this is the end of driver updates for the 200 series?

What I'm saying is no one should expect the drivers for their new cards to be officially supported for the older ones.

I also wouldn't assume they're direct rebrands.

So it was exactly what was theorized before. The issue with Witcher 3 was not just Hairworks, it was also the antiquated AMD driver. While Hairworks is still very taxing on performance, it is nice to see that in the end, people will still be able to get an enjoyable experience out of the game. I just wish AMD would have taken care of this earlier before getting the fans of both sides into a very pointless feud. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

They don't have anything except drivers to fight AMD fury card. They can't bring anything out until they can completely get ahold of 20 or 16nm

Whats to change? They're still beating NVidia, 380 is beating the 960, 370 is beating a 750ti. 360 is beating a 750.

The only "new" card on that line up from AMD is tonga because it was also used for their Flagship Mobile GPU. Nvidia remade their mobile line of gpu's with Gm204 and Gm206. AMD doesn't need to do any of that right now. They don't need to release a new card for the sake of releasing a new card. GCN hasn't had much improvements since 7970. Hawaii improved a few things but as you can see Tonga didn't even improve much over even the 7970.

What the hell are you expecting with a new GPU ? It'll perform as well as overclocking the old card.

I was expecting something to compete with 980

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Performs less than a few fps away from the 980 while being 100 dollars cheaper. 

People still madder than all hell and still praise the 980 to all high heaven.

Getting repetitive and old guys. 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Ultimately a fury (non x) is 50$ more then the 980 so you sorta got that.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

2 fps away from a 980 while being 100 dollars cheaper isn't competitive?

w...where can i get a pair of those green tinted glasses?

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

So basically AMD is selling a driver update for $300? lol

No, AMD is selling cards made with a better 28nm process.

If you think the GPU is the same with no improvements, and that you can flash a bios and update drivers on the R9 290X and you will have a R9 390X then boy, you are going in for a surprise.

this reminds me of 2008 - 2010

and here i though specif driver optimizations were a thing of the past

shame on you AMD !!!

With the unsold inventory problems AMD was having, I'm not the least bit surprised. How many times do I have to say consumers do not matter to these companies before people will listen and understand that? Humans have needs and wants and will pay to have them satisfied. You will never organize a global boycott or do anything of large enough scale to make them budge. The only thing that budges them is competition.

Seriously AMD, just sell ATI to Intel, merge with Nvidia, and move on.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

If you think the GPU is the same with no improvements, and that you can flash a bios and update drivers on the R9 290X and you will have a R9 390X then boy, you are going in for a surprise.

Well, so much for my R9 280 boost. =/

Performs less than a few fps away from the 980 while being 100 dollars cheaper.

People still madder than all hell and still praise the 980 to all high heaven.

Getting repetitive and old guys.

You're the only one butthurt here. (About butthurt no less lol).

But seriously. Overclocked 290x is signing a few fps of stock reference 980? Say what?

Do full overclocks with both and then come back with benchmarks.

Ofc who knows if the 100 USD is worth the difference. I can't tell you the value of your money.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

That is an unconfirmed rumor. Don't go spreading it as fact, and by the way, I believe this article and thread prove you're full of it. AMD took the same GPUs, tossed them on new boards with better BIOS and firmware/drivers, and the AIBs put on better coolers. Given this with the newest driver hacked onto a 290X and bringing the same performance, AMD did nothing in regards of a new process revision.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

You're the only one butthurt here. (About butthurt no less lol).

But seriously. Overclocked 290x is signing a few fps of stock reference 980? Say what?

Do full overclocks with both and then come back with benchmarks.

Ofc who knows if the 100 USD is worth the difference. I can't tell you the value of your money.

That graph we are looking at right now. The one given to us at the top of the post. 

The 390x is literally 2fps (max) and 1 fps(min) away from a 980 while being 100 goddamn dollars cheaper.

I'm super confused as to why everyone here is so upset about getting the performance of a 980 for 100 real money dollars less.

And if you'd prefer to argue that the 290x tri-x is just as good when overclocked then my point still motherf*cking stands. I've been super confused by everyone thinking these maxwell cards are basically jesus ever since they were released when apparently just an overclocked 290x can keep up. 

That graph we are looking at right now. The one given to us at the top of the post. 

The 390x is literally 2fps (max) and 1 fps(min) away from a 980 while being 100 goddamn dollars cheaper.

I'm super confused as to why everyone here is so upset about getting the performance of a 980 for 100 real money dollars less.

And if you'd prefer to argue that the 290x tri-x is just as good when overclocked then my point still motherf*cking stands. I've been super confused by everyone thinking these maxwell cards are basically jesus ever since they were released when apparently just an overclocked 290x can keep up. 

Yeah, except that 390X is being compared to a bottom of the barrel 980 that isn't overclocked. Overclock both, and Hell throw a real 980 at it, and let's see what we get.

hehe, this makes me happy as an R9 290 user. Look forward to the upcoming drivers then...

Yeah, except that 390X is being compared to a bottom of the barrel 980 that isn't overclocked. Overclock both, and Hell throw a real 980 at it, and let's see what we get.

It's ok, guy is butthurt that we aren't butthurt enough for him.

Seriously though. Only the buyer can know the value of his or her own money.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

hehe, this makes me happy as an R9 290 user. Look forward to the upcoming drivers then...

You won't get the new drivers unless you flash to a 390 or continue to take them from here. Amd only has these drivers to distinguish the two generations so why would it ever gift you the performance bonus when it wants you to buy a new 390 instead.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

So it was exactly what was theorized before. The issue with Witcher 3 was not just Hairworks, it was also the antiquated AMD driver. While Hairworks is still very taxing on performance, it is nice to see that in the end, people will still be able to get an enjoyable experience out of the game. I just wish AMD would have taken care of this earlier before getting the fans of both sides into a very pointless feud. 

The issue with Hairworks in Witcher 3 was over-tesselation. AMD users were able to get significantly better performance with no visible loss in image quality by capping it to x8 or x16 in the catalyst control center. Which means CD Projekt Red could have boosted everybody's framerates higher (Nvidia and AMD) by optimized it properly, yet they failed to do so...

The issue with Hairworks in Witcher 3 was over-tesselation. AMD users were able to get significantly better performance with no visible loss in image quality by capping it to x8 or x16 in the catalyst control center. Which means CD Projekt Red could have boosted everybody's framerates higher (Nvidia and AMD) by optimized it properly, yet they failed to do so...

The differences are very visible until 32 vs 64, at least for me, and I'm halfway to blind as it is.

uuuuh...no...

they are both 28nm and pretty much identical cards

the only new cards are the fury series

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

the 15.5 beta driver u mention here has been released like almost 1 month ago......

AMD Rig - (Upgraded): FX 8320 @ 4.8 Ghz, Corsair H100i GTX, ROG Crosshair V Formula, Ghz, 16 GB 1866 Mhz Ram, Msi R9 280x Gaming 3G @ 1150 Mhz, Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB, Win 10 Home

(My first Intel + Nvidia experience  - recently bought ) : MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G ( i7 6820HK, 16 GB RAM, 980M SLI, GSync, 1080p , 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD... FeelsGoodMan

I think I'm going to have a bit of fun with these modded drivers. My R9 2- I mean my R9 395x2 is gonna kick some serious butt. My irritation with AMD for artificially gimping the 200 series on a driver level is neutralized by the free upgrade I'm getting.  :D

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

the 15.5 beta driver u mention here has been released like almost 1 month ago......

15.15 is the new one.