Emojli is shutting down in august :(

LukaP

http://emoj.li/

So this is a "social network" made by two silly brits, that had 60k users in a few weeks. The concept is simple, a texting app, but the only allowed characters are unicode emojis. 

Since its really just a thing two blokes came up with in a pub, they have no interest in supporting it, or running it at all, so they are shutting it down.

To keep Emojli running after August we would have to spend a decent amount of money, and it's just not worth it for the joke.

Here is a video describing how they came up with it, and how they wrote it

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

aww  :( haha

How does this cost a "decent amount" of money?

To run the servers and stuff

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Oh hey, I've seen some of Tom Scott before

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

So it's basically white girls texting?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I dont see the use, can't people do this already?

guessing server costs. maybe they should of seen if they could get donations or something. I mean that would be awesome if a joke turned you into a legit business

They should have found a way to monetize it with ads. Seems like pretty easy money. Remember Flappy Bird? That guy was making $50,000 a day.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

*starts playing how could this happen to me song*

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I dont see the use, can't people do this already?

guessing server costs. maybe they should of seen if they could get donations or something. I mean that would be awesome if a joke turned you into a legit business

They dont want to run it. They have jobs that they like already, plus it was a joke. They dont mind if anyone else wants to buy it off and run it though xD

They should have found a way to monetize it with ads. Seems like pretty easy money. Remember Flappy Bird? That guy was making $50,000 a day.

They dont want to, they have good jobs. 

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

They dont want to run it. They have jobs that they like already, plus it was a joke. They dont mind if anyone else wants to buy it off and run it though xD

They dont want to, they have good jobs. 

guess all good jokes must come to an end:(

unrelated note, are you ever going to update and post more pictures of your G six? 

guess all good jokes must come to an end:(

unrelated note, are you ever going to update and post more pictures of your G six? 

Yeah they do :(

Well ive done all the cutting a week or so ago. Right now im kinda busy with work, and cant work on it that much. but i will soon :)

Yeah they do :(

Well ive done all the cutting a week or so ago. Right now im kinda busy with work, and cant work on it that much. but i will soon :)

ah, I bought a modded G5 computer of the forum(great price, couldn't pass it up) and have to say I thought I loved my s340, But damn this case is nice.

I never once heard of this app and I was just in high school

Isn't that just a download from the app store servers?

You still need to run your own servers for chat, and deal with customer support. And when you get hundreds of mails asking why their username cant be ":)" and having to respond that its already taken, while doing it in your FREE TIME, it can get mildly annoying