AMD Fury X Far Cry 4 game performance from AMD

ahhming

A single Fury X draws 275w of power. So you can Crossfire two with a quality 750w PSU...

depending on processor + accessories, that could get dicey (2 Fury's + 5820k is 690 watts)

Actually, Nvidia might be in the pit deeper than you would think. They've already optimized their drivers for a threaded topology. Which means once DirectX 12 rolls around AMD hardware is going to see a bigger performance improvement than Nvidia. After we see Pascal we will then see Arctic Islands where I predict that we will see a new Fiji GPU packing 6000+ SPUs.

Well hopefully both Pascal and Greenland drop at the same time, the gap between the Titan X and 980Ti between the soon to be released Fury would've no doubt hurt possible sales for AMD. The only thing in my mind is that Nvidia aren't the type that sit around while their own tech gets stomped. Usually they have some sort of retaliation. I highly doubt Nvidia will let AMD take the fame willingly, especially for a time frame of which could be up to a year; we'll have to see.

I noticed that too. I can only assume it says something like all GameWorks bs off. 4xMSAA at 4k is just stupid waste of everyones time.

In the past the primary method used by gameworks titles to lower AMD performance was over-tesselation (i.e. beyond the point of visual gains).

Since AMD's tesselation performance was weaker than Nvidia it used to hit AMD framerates harder than Nvidia.

AMD fixed the tessellation performance since GCN 1.2 (R9 285) so it's not inconceivable that they can now do better in game-works titles at least for Fiji and Tonga chips.

I thought the 4GB limit on HBM1 was fixed thru interposer improvements? Not sure, I read about it a while back and it may not have any application for GPU, but I'm pretty sure I read that the interposer and 2.5D process had been altered to allow for larger arrays.

Do you even AMD bro?

Seriously though, the only reason the Fury X uses 2x 8-pin is because it's an overclocking enthusiast card.

I saw it as more of a watercooled blocky pegboard :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

It really depends what they were doing in FC4 during benchmark. It could be meaningless.

Ya it looks great but it lacks context... need independent reviews with competing cards running the same benchmark.

It really depends what they were doing in FC4 during benchmark. It could be meaningless.

Anyways, it's AMD so it uses as much power as small village and melts alluminum cases. 

I'm glad that Maxwell is so efficent so it can run using AAA batteries and under ambient temps.

I'll let you in on a little secret that might twist your nips. AMD is just as good as Nvidia at power consumption now.

depending on processor + accessories, that could get dicey (2 Fury's + 5820k is 690 watts)

Indeed depending, if you're running a FX-9590 then well... yeah. Although it's enough to power a Haswell i7 and two Fury X's.

Well hopefully both Pascal and Greenland drop at the same time, the gap between the Titan X and 980Ti between the soon to be released Fury would've no doubt hurt possible sales for AMD. The only thing in my mind is that Nvidia aren't the type that sit around while their own tech gets stomped. Usually they have some sort of retaliation. I highly doubt Nvidia will let AMD take the fame willingly, especially for a time frame of which could be up to a year; we'll have to see.

Yeah, AMD was kind of late to the show with Fiji. Although they're not that late where they won't sell cards with Nvidia pushing out the GTX 980 Ti recently. This is how Nvidia makes the sales they do as of late. They beat AMD to the punch and saturate the market with sales of their GPUs before AMD gets anything out the door.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF THIS IS LEGIT IM DITCHING MY GTX 970 HELLOOOOO AMD!!!!!

• FX-8320  GTX 970  M5A97 R2  Corsair H100I GT  500W PSU  RIPJAWS 8GB DDR3  SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB  1TB HDD 

in the conference at e3 earlier today they called 4k 4096 by 2160

Cause that is the Native 4k. 3860 x 2160 is commercial TV 4k

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution#Ultra_HDfor reference.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

In the past the primary method used by gameworks titles to lower AMD performance was over-tesselation (i.e. beyond the point of visual gains).

Since AMD's tesselation performance was weaker than Nvidia it used to hit AMD framerates harder than Nvidia.

AMD fixed the tessellation performance since GCN 1.2 (R9 285) so it's not inconceivable that they can now do better in game-works titles at least for Fiji and Tonga chips.

Indeed, but it doesn't change the fact that AMD cannot optimize the GameWorks effects themselves; so there will always be a bias in NVidia's favour. Not to mention APEX based GameWorks effects, that rely on CUDA. They cannot run properly on any AMD architecture.

I would love for tessellation based effects, like HairWorks or WaveWorks to run more efficiently on AMD than NVidia. That would be sweet.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

GTX Titan Ti is going to be released.  :rolleyes:

The only thing that Nvidia can do here is release a dual GPU card or release a very good driver. Aside from that, there is really nothing else. Lowering prices won't do much either.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

Hopefully those 4GB Vram aren't a limiting factor! I'm kinda scared those could fps will drop in near-future titles! We can only wait for HBM to handle vram differently, making those 4GB good enough!

I would love for tessellation based effects, like HairWorks or WaveWorks to run more efficiently on AMD than NVidia. That would be sweet.

Hairworks already runs ok on hawai series using the catalyst control panel over-ride to cap tessellation to x8 or x16. Should be even better on Fiji and Tonga. I don't think Nvidia users have a choice, they have to accept the over-tesselation or switch off the effect...

Not to mention APEX based GameWorks effects, that rely on CUDA. They cannot run properly on any AMD architecture.

Cannot run properly or cannot run at all? I assume that anything CUDA will not run on AMD?

Hairworks already runs ok on hawai series using the catalyst control panel over-ride to cap tessellation to x8 or x16. Should be even better on Fiji and Tonga. I don't think Nvidia users have a choice, they have to accept the over-tesselation or switch off the effect...

Cannot run properly or cannot run at all? I assume that anything CUDA will not run on AMD?

Yeah, AMD introduced that setting after the extremely over tessellated Crysis 2 dx11 patch (made by Crytek and NVidia) and GameWorks infested Batman Origins. NVidia users has 2 options on Hariworks: 64x multiplier and off.

I believe forcing APEX specific effects will run, but in a horrible stuttery mess at extremely low fps. So essentially unplayable.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just one question though, did they used DX11 or DX12? If DX11, <3. We're getting closer to 4k gaming. Now the only problem is the refresh rate of the monitors and the type of display.

4k 144hz IPS and OLED displays someday.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

Just one question though, did they used DX11 or DX12? If DX11

Far Cry 4 is a DX11 game. There are no DX12 games out yet.

I guess Deus Ex mankind divided will be the first?

One benchmark is not enough, especially when it's not published by a neutral party but that looks really promising.

A couple of weeks need to go by before we know enough but this is a great start.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

Far Cry 4 is a DX11 game. There are no DX12 games out yet.

I guess Deus Ex mankind divided will be the first?

AMD's performing that well with their shitty DX11? Well....DX12 is really going to give them a boost.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

AMD's performing that well with their shitty DX11? Well....DX12 is really going to give them a boost.

very promising indeed.

looking forward to the compute performance also... one beast of a chip xD 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Dammit the person running the AMD Weibo account managed to take higher resolution photos of pretty much ever slide but the Farcry 4 benchmark one.

Ashes of the Singularity will be the first dx12 and will be available next week

http://www.windowscentral.com/you-can-get-first-directx-12-supported-game-windows-10-next-week

oh ok thanks.

it's an unoptimized alpha though

still interesting.

those oxide guys have no priorities LOL. Their have demoed their game on directX 11, on directX 12, on Vulkan and even mantle.

One benchmark is not enough, especially when it's not published by a neutral party but that looks really promising.

A couple of weeks need to go by before we know enough but this is a great start.

Even when Titan X even probably has Gameworks enabled which AMD probably couldn't enable.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I was making a jab at AMD for how they tend to have pretty damn high power usages on their processors and gpus :P

But don't forget the titan x has one 6 pin and one 8 pin power connector, whereas the fury x has two 8 pins.

Unless it's a multi-gpu card, I don't see how exactly those numbers could be legit.

It is very believable, what do you have issues with? it is a single GPU card, we have this proven, there was a launch event about 12 hours ago? did you miss it?