AMD Fury X Far Cry 4 game performance from AMD

ahhming

No card has the proper horsepower to run properly at either 5K and 8K, and if you do play at those resolutions you will have two or more of these cards. My point here is with DX12 memory pooling it will allow for 8 to 16GBs of HBM to become available.

Actually FuryX ran Tomb Raider on 5k at 60 fps ultra settings. Didn't seem to be an issue there.

Either way, synthetic benchmarks doesn't say anything useful. And 8k doesn't exist in any practical product for anyone in years. 5K makes no sense for gaming, but ultrawide 3440x1440 will gain large market share in the coming years.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

No card has the proper horsepower to run properly at either 5K and 8K, and if you do play at those resolutions you will have two or more of these cards. My point here is with DX12 memory pooling it will allow for 8 to 16GBs of HBM to become available.

I hope developers start to optimize their code to allow for buffer stacking. Otherwise, 390X Crossfire would outperform Fury X Crossfire above UHD/4K resolutions.

Actually FuryX ran Tomb Raider on 5k at 60 fps ultra settings. Didn't seem to be an issue there.

Either way, synthetic benchmarks doesn't say anything useful. And 8k doesn't exist in any practical product for anyone in years. 5K makes no sense for gaming, but ultrawide 3440x1440 will gain large market share in the coming years.

However if you play a game like Shadows of Mordor, or Fallout 4 with texture packs ;)

In those cases it would require in excess of 4GBs for 4K. Tomb Raider isn't a title I would say is as resource intensive as other games.

However if you play a game like Shadows of Mordor, or Fallout 4 with texture packs ;)

In those cases it would require in excess of 4GBs for 4K. Tomb Raider isn't a title I would say is as resource intensive as other games.

Remember that Shadow of Mordor's ultra textures, was just the high textures, but uncompressed. So the difference is miniscule, and I assume alpha compression in GCN would make that a lot smaller in size. But again, AMD said their engineers has been focused on better memory management. I doubt Shadow Actually needs 6GB on any given image; especially with alpha compression.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Remember that Shadow of Mordor's ultra textures, was just the high textures, but uncompressed. So the difference is miniscule, and I assume alpha compression in GCN would make that a lot smaller in size. But again, AMD said their engineers has been focused on better memory management. I doubt Shadow Actually needs 6GB on any given image; especially with alpha compression.

True, I guess we wil just have to wait and see.

A synthetic bench seems to show that a 4GB buffer will be really short at very high resolutions (in this case, 5K and 8K):

Who's going to be running 5k and 8k anyways. A single Fury X will drive 5k just fine as we've seen at E3. So that alleviates multiple monitor users. We won't see 8k for a very long time as much as the industry likes to imply that it's right around the corner. GPU horsepower is just not there and it wont be there for many years.

Its been said before. Above 4GB of vRAM is not needed at 4K with HBM due to the sheer amount of bandwidth. However with GDDR5 8GB is needed because it has lower bandwidth and therefore can't have data transferred as rapidly. Its no coincidence that an R9 290X 4GB with higher memory bandwidth than a GTX 970 does better at higher resolutions.

1434362721x0aYnDVBA9_10_1.gif

Take a moment to look between the 1440p memory utilization and compare it with the utilization at 4K. You will find some very large increases in VRAM usage, depending on the game, which very much makes sense.

Let's start with the GeForce GTX 980 on the very right side. The only game that seems to hit right at the VRAM wall is Dying Light at 1440p and 4K. FC4 comes close, and so does GTA V. Now look over to the GeForce GTX 980 Ti.

On the GeForce GTX 980 Ti we clearly exceed 4GB of VRAM in Dying Light at 1440p and 4K. We also exceed 4GB of VRAM at 4K in GTA V and Far Cry 4. What this shows is that these games, the GTX 980 cards "want to" and can, exceed the 4GB framebuffer if more VRAM is exposed. This means the 4GB of VRAM on the GTX 980 is limiting these cards, but it is not on the 6GB GeForce GTX 980 Ti.

VRAM

As you can see from our gaming lineup (which is using many new games released this year) we aren't seeing much demand over 4GB just yet. There are some hints that some games might need more; Dying Light for example, and possibly Far Cry 4 and GTA V. We can at least say this, 4GB of VRAM should be the MINIMUM for running games at 1440p today. If you were able to have 6GB of VRAM or more, you will be ensured that games coming this year and next should run fine, as far as VRAM goes at 1440p.

At 4K though 4GB of VRAM is clearly not enough. At 4K you want at a MINIMUM 6GB. It is possible though that more may actually help as you start increasing the number of video cards in SLI. 6GB might actually not be enough for some games in 4K when SLI is involved, we will see.

The GeForce GTX 980 Ti fits in extremely well at 1440p and should have fairly good longevity as a contender in the 1440p space. However, it may not be the "perfect" 4K card when SLI comes into play. The TITAN X with 12GB of VRAM, could potentially show its benefits there, or any card that might have 8GB of VRAM as well coming down the road.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/06/15/nvidia_geforce_gtx_980_ti_video_card_gpu_review/10#.VYIN1DCqpQ4 - Monday , June 15, 2015

That is what's expected with GDDR5. HBM and AMD's implementation will help solve that.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Who's going to be running 5k and 8k anyways. A single Fury X will drive 5k just fine as we've seen at E3. So that alleviates multiple monitor users. We won't see 8k for a very long time as much as the industry likes to imply that it's right around the corner. GPU horsepower is just not there and it wont be there for many years.

People might not run 8K, but triple 4K setups do exist. Multiple GPUs solve the limitations of a single GPU, the only issue is the current support. Maybe DX12 will help open the multi-GPU technology up to bring actual scaling performance across all 4 GPUs.

Everyone remember now this is a dual GPU card, it has downsides compared to a single GPU card

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

This outperforms my 980 SLI set up, to put it in perspective.

I get around ~40-50 FPS on Ultra 4K.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

This outperforms my 980 SLI set up, to put it in perspective.

I get around ~40-50 FPS on Ultra 4K.

It does? :blink:

AMD might have just saved their asses. (Well half anyway, Zen needs to succeed as well).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Fury X is single GPU.

Whoops read the title wrong sorry.

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

AMD might have just saved their asses. (Well half anyway, Zen needs to succeed as well).

AMD didn't save their asses with a single high end GPU that will not exceed 10% of their total shipments. 

Rebrands do not a release make, no wonder AMD doesn't want anyone talking about the other 3xx, sorry, 2xx cards. 

What is hype may never die - Cleganebowl 2016

The benchmarks on the Vessel video today show the 980 Ti Stock getting ~10 More FPS than was shown in the Benchmarks in the OP...

524b07d6b7c3ddb5c825cc7c9156b130.png

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Yup.  Especially if they're using the Ultra preset that has 4x MSAA (which I've disabled manually.)

FC4's SLi scaling is mediocre though.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

The benchmarks on the Vessel video today show the 980 Ti Stock getting ~10 More FPS than was shown in the Benchmarks in the OP...

The 2 benchmarks in the OP are obviously not using the same settings. Yours is closer to the 2nd one in the OP. Regardless of which setting AMD is using in their benchmark (whether the 1st or 2nd in the OP), Fury X seems to spank the 980 ti. We just have to wait for independent reviewers to see just how much CEO math is going in AMD's benchmark.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

It might but only if two things happen, it continues to perform better than the 980ti and is priced cheap enough they actually gain sales over the 980.  AMD are in such a financial pickle that they really are going to have to nail this hard if it is going to play a significant role in their comeback.

Now a shame I have to do this for those who like to skim through and then tell me I am wrong, but I will repeat the above sentence again and BOLD the crucial junctures so people don't exaggerate what I am saying.

It might but only if two things happen, it continues to perform better than the 980ti and is priced cheap enough they actually gain sales over the 980.  AMD are in such a financial pickle that they really are going to have to nail this hard if it is going to play a significant role in their comeback.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

*snip*

Their sample Titan X's boost clock is terrible reaching a mere 12mhz higher than the guaranteed boost (1075). Compare that to my Titan X which boosts to 1202.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I can't buy another AMD card until their Linux support is improved. I have a 7870 right now and Catalyst seriously needs improvement on Linux. Here's hoping for AMDGPU being amazing because this price/performance (if true) smashes Nvidia.

It's totally Zen which has to save AMD and even Lisa Su admitted as much.

Launching great high end GPUs is not a surprise given AMD's track record of doing so successfully over many years. Fiji was expected to be great.

CPUs are a different story, it's been so many years since they were performance competitive with Intel and it got so bad they had to throw in the towel and concede the lucrative server business and even on desktop they ended up having to sell big CPUs at budget prices with almost no margins.

AMD didn't save their asses with a single high end GPU that will not exceed 10% of their total shipments. 

Rebrands do not a release make, no wonder AMD doesn't want anyone talking about the other 3xx, sorry, 2xx cards. 

360x is the same performance as 750ti for less

370x beats out the 750ti... cheaper

380 beats out the 960 in most games and is cheaper too

390/390x it's faster then a 970, price isn't amazing though but it can improve

Fury x faster then a 980ti for the same price.

That is pretty much price range over 100$, AMD now has fairly good performance per watt, and much better compute then Maxwell. They can be storming into other markets with this card too.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I may consider it....but idk, how good is AMD's Shadowplay competitor?

I'm really liking that so far, plus I like the frequent updates from Nvidia compared to AMD. The software, even though it's a small thing, I do sorta prefer over AMD.

But if anyone can provide me with some extra info that'd be nice.

rape

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3