Intel plans job cuts across the company, internal memo says and reduce R&D spending

jos

Intel is planning a major, company-wide staff reduction later this month, sources inside the company claim. he plan apparently comes in response to Intel's most recent quarterly earnings report, in which sales for Intel's Client Computing division – the company's largest single reporting segment – were down 8.4 per cent, year on year, a result that CEO Brian Krzanich described as "even lower than expected." It also reduced what it planned to spend on mergers, acquisitions, and R&D by $300 million from the estimate it gave following the fourth quarter of fiscal 2014. This will definitly slow down the industry... May be claims from samsung might hold true, that they will beat itel in fabrication...

Source: oregonlive

TOP. KEK.

The company that wants to hire more women (and LGBT?) is going to cut jobs.

Top. Fucking. Kek.

some one shouting at intel HQ: ZEN INCOMING!!!

Someone must have been like oh SHIT! They reported Haswell IPC.

OT: That's really unfortunate but hey maybe Samsung, Qualcomm and AMD could scoop up the better engineers that may get laid off.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

OT: That's really unfortunate but hey maybe Samsung, Qualcomm and AMD could scoop up the better engineers that may get laid off.

That'd be awesome.

Sig under construction.

TOP. KEK.

Top. Fucking. Kek.

You know that never made sense to me, the number of fucking man or woman shouldn't matter and it shouldn't effect the employer discussion what should effect his decision is skills.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Pretty clear they're cutting from manufacturing on a performance basis as per article.  The article also suggests that the lions share will come out of Intel's subsidiaries/acquisitions with its mention of altera corp in the middle of the story.  I wouldn't be worried about the engineers leaving unless they themselves are jumping ship.

TOP. KEK.

Top. Fucking. Kek.

Gotta make jobs to hire people right?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

You know that never made sense to me, the number of fucking man or woman shouldn't matter and it shouldn't effect the employer discussion what should effect his decision is skills.

This forum has suffered that debate once, and it ended ugly. Lets not walk that road again. 

That being said, I am totally going to blame their large amount of Jim Parsons commercials they have been doing lately. If you want a spokesperson that the nerdy tech consumers will love, pay Hasbro for the rights to use Optimus Prime. If Optimus told me that Intel Processors were required to win the war against the Decepticons, i would totally buy more of them. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Pretty clear they're cutting from manufacturing on a performance basis as per article.  The article also suggests that the lions share will come out of Intel's subsidiaries/acquisitions with its mention of altera corp in the middle of the story.  I wouldn't be worried about the engineers leaving unless they themselves are jumping ship.

I see that didn't read the full article it sucks for them, but they won't have much problem finding work the only issue would be location for a lot of those employees.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

Turns out paying 300$ to get 10% performance improvement isn't a really good incentive for people to upgrade.

TOP. KEK.

Top. Fucking. Kek.

Firing engineers to introduce women thay may or maybe not at the same level.

oh, this is so tolerant

Oh+hai+captain+sweden+_2ec86c9482338b454

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

Wonder how many jobs they will cut, and where.  At least their severance packages don't look terrible.

Tough times.............tough times............TOUGH TIMES!

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Intel will do what ASUS did: full automation of CPU/Accelerator assembly. The supercomputing world has slowed down due to Nvidia not having new Teslas, AMD not having new FirePros, and Intel not having new Xeon Phi until 2016. Business hiring rates around the world have slowed a bit as well, meaning the bulk orders of Dell Optiplex (and thus Intel CPUs) has slowed as well.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Well Microsoft downsized and they are doing better than ever in the last few years. This is no disaster for intel, they are just optimising themselves. Their mobile divisions are hiring like crazy these days.

And no, samsung wont beat them in process tech, they only just started taping out LOW POWER chips on a process that is comparable to Ivy-Bridge's

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Well Microsoft downsized and they are doing better than ever in the last few years. This is no disaster for intel, they are just optimising themselves. Their mobile divisions are hiring like crazy these days.

And no, samsung wont beat them in process tech, they only just started taping out LOW POWER chips on a process that is comparable to Ivy-Bridge's

Careful, Opcode will raise Hell over Samsung's expose' documents claiming 30% lower leakage current than Intel's process, despite the fact there is 0 proof from independent analysts of this.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Careful, Opcode will raise Hell over Samsung's expose' documents claiming 30% lower leakage current than Intel's process, despite the fact there is 0 proof from independent analysts of this.

I dont give a fuck. their density is worse than IB, they are taping out 5W chips, there is no way they can do 3 half-steps in one year, just in terms of density. It will take them atleast a quarter or two to get high performance ready for NVIDIA, and then a year or so to bring the density to haswell levels

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

I dont give a fuck. their density is worse than IB, they are taping out 5W chips, there is no way they can do 3 half-steps in one year, just in terms of density. It will take them atleast a quarter or two to get high performance ready for NVIDIA, and then a year or so to bring the density to haswell levels

See, at least when you and I disagree, we can have a rational, factual debate that doesn't get nasty. Heated, yes. Nasty/vicious/below-the-belt, no.

See, at least when you and I disagree, we can have a rational, factual debate that doesn't get nasty. Heated, yes. Nasty/vicious/below-the-belt, no.

well i do "enjoy" calling you an idiot when you spew out bullshit like intel taking the GPU market share from nvidia by skylake with their iGPUs xD But yeah, we do seem to get along and factualise our arguments and admit when we are wrong lately

well i do "enjoy" calling you an idiot when you spew out bullshit like intel taking the GPU market share from nvidia by skylake with their iGPUs xD But yeah, we do seem to get along and factualise our arguments and admit when we are wrong lately

The low end has been eaten up by the 5775C. Everything up through a GTX 740 (stock speeds of course) runs no better at 720p and 1080p. With Skylake adding 50% more EUs (72 EUs x 8 = 576 stream processors) on DDR4, the prices for which are dropping like a stone (a 4x4 3200MHz pack only costing $215 now), keeping the eDRAM and increasing its clock speeds, and Intel revising the architecture as well, I think you're going to find Nvidia can no longer sell the low to low-mid cards anymore, and its marketshare will rot away against Skylake, Cannonlake, and Zen APUs (assuming at least 1 GB of HBM onboard) by the end of 2017 except for high-end graphics. 

And with DX12 supporting multi-adaptor, in theory the only GPU that has to support it is the head hancho, so you could throw a bunch of older but potent cards into a system with a DX12-compliant iGPU and run the graphics output through the iGPU and get all the high-end performance you want via split-frame rendering without the stuttering issues.

The low end has been eaten up by the 5775C. Everything up through a GTX 740 (stock speeds of course) runs no better at 720p and 1080p. With Skylake adding 50% more EUs (72 EUs x 8 = 576 stream processors) on DDR4, the prices for which are dropping like a stone (a 4x4 3200MHz pack only costing $215 now), keeping the eDRAM and increasing its clock speeds, and Intel revising the architecture as well, I think you're going to find Nvidia can no longer sell the low to low-mid cards anymore, and its marketshare will rot away against Skylake, Cannonlake, and Zen APUs (assuming at least 1 GB of HBM onboard) by the end of 2017 except for high-end graphics. 

And with DX12 supporting multi-adaptor, in theory the only GPU that has to support it is the head hancho, so you could throw a bunch of older but potent cards into a system with a DX12-compliant iGPU and run the graphics output through the iGPU and get all the high-end performance you want via split-frame rendering without the stuttering issues.

Yeah but youre forgetting the low end 700 series is still mostly fermi ^^ nvidia could easily make them maxwell and much more powerful to compete with intel for anyone who needs an dGPU. for the others, no matter how powerful their gpus get, they cant compete with intel since they dont have a CPU design

They can sell  low end card... I am getting a PC for my nephew.. i will get him a skylake processor and chepo DX12.1 graphics.. along with win 10.. now he can play games with graphics better than skylake as it can use both due to multi adaptor. and get goodness of 12.1 at the same time

Yeah but youre forgetting the low end 700 series is still mostly fermi ^^ nvidia could easily make them maxwell and much more powerful to compete with intel for anyone who needs an dGPU. for the others, no matter how powerful their gpus get, they cant compete with intel since they dont have a CPU design

They can if and only if they can get Denver going in pure ARM and being competitive again. They'd just have to convince everyone to compile to ARM again, which isn't difficult to do using Clang, but w/e.

Then where are the GTX 950 and below? It's not like the 5775C trails the GTX 750 by much, and that's a Maxwell card.