Heaven Society - Week 49 Anime Poll

LTTAnimeClubHeavenSociety-Header.png

Week 49 is upon us. Its now time to decide which anime the club should watch and discuss this week. The poll will be active for 48hrs-ish.

Space Dandy
Current

This was suggested by @LOLPhilips saying "Space Dandy has been described as a sort of testing ground for directors - a large number of different directors, most of whom are accomplished, have been called in to create their own episodes utilizing the flexible setting of the show, esulting in Space Dandy one of the most creative show I have seen at its peaks. Unfortunately, in every experiment there is bound to be a few failures, and this is undoubtedly not a very consistent series. Some episodes are light and filled with not much more then jokes, other can be quite heavy and have deep themes like death. While the excessive fanservice can feel a bit immature, it is one of very few anime that dare to be different from the usual harem or action series. It also happens to be a whole load of fun."

Space Dandy is a space hunter, someone who is paid to search for new, undiscovered alien species. It's an industry where the prize goes to the person who finds aliens the fastest. Dandy searches unknown planets for strange beings with his companions, QT the worn-out robot and Meow from Betelgeuse. Meanwhile, they're being chased by minions of the Gogol Empire, for reasons that are still a mystery.
Read more at ANN

btGZtZu.jpg

ANN | MAL | aniDB

Gargantia on the Verderous Planet
Recent

This was suggested by @frustratedrocka saying "Sci-fi, drama, slice of life, shonen. What happens when Gen Urobuchi, the man behind Madoka and Fate/Zero, decides to make a mecha series. It's surprisingly lighthearted for most of its run, but retains the man's signature slow-burn pacing. Available on Crunchyroll."

While fighting an intense inter-galactic war, a mecha pilot was accidentally warped into a space-time neither he nor the computer of his mecha could recognize. After waking up from a long-time hibernation, he found himself trapped on a planet, with human residents talking in an unknown form of language, using inferior technologies, and -- most shocking to him -- naturally breathable air.
Read more at ANN

MCSkFjk.jpg

ANN | MAL | aniDB

And Yet The Town Moves
Post-2007

This was suggested by @BashZeStampeedo saying "One of the few things Shaft animated that matches their bizarre style to a T, and the manga itself has resumed now so there's plenty more fun to be had. It's basically about a dopey teenage girl with a screw loose in her head who wants to be a detective, and so she often gets her friends caught up in weird antics. Good chemistry with the characters and just different enough from what you'd expect that it might suck you in."

Clumsy Hotori Arashiyama is a girl with a love for mysteries and a knack for getting into trouble. Hotori works as a waitress in an unsuccessful coffee shop when the manager comes up with a plan to increase its fortunes by changing into a maid cafe. Unfortunately, no one knows how to make a successful maid cafe other than dressing everyone in a maid outfit. What follows is a wacky series of incidents involving Hotori’s many friends, mismatched love stories… and ghosts and aliens.
Read more at ANN

qNJfjll.jpg

ANN | MAL | aniDB

Eureka Seven
Pre-2007

This was suggested by @Charger saying "I started watching this on adult swim and it is probably the first anime I liked that had mecha and seem to have a decent romance arch although I have not seen it since it first aired"

Renton Thurston is a 14-year-old boy who lived with his mechanic grandfather in a backwater town. Every day he dreamed of being with the mercenary "Light Finding Operation (LFO)" aircraft pilot group "Gekkostate" and riding "Trapar" particle waves-- a sport called "reffing"-- with their charismatic leader Holland, especially when faced with his father's acclaimed past or his grandfather's desire to protect him. When a young girl named Eureka riding the original LFO, the "Nirvash typeZERO", asks his grandfather for a tune-up, she inadvertently brings the attention of the military to the garage; as a result, the garage is destroyed and Renton is forced to deliver a new type of interface-- the "Amita Drive"-- to the Nirvash. After a heated fight in which the Nirvash destroys the military LFOs by unleashing an immense amount of power, Renton is invited into Gekkostate. However, he quickly realizes that behind the facade of a traveling group of mercenaries is a very bitter reality.
Read more at ANN

MdDu5G6.jpg

ANN | MAL | aniDB

Nodame Cantabile
Random

This was suggested by @Charger saying "It is a good story about two classical musicians which i think has a really nice visual style and a lot of good music."

Shinichi Chiaki is a first class musician whose dream is to play among the elites in Europe. Coming from a distinguished family, he is an infamous perfectionist; not only is he highly critical of himself, but of others as well. The only thing stopping Chiaki from leaving for Europe is his fear of flying. As a result, he's grounded in Japan.

During his 4th year at Japan's top music university, Chiaki happens to meet Noda Megumi—or as she refers to herself, Nodame. On the surface, she seems to be an unkempt girl with no direction in life. However, when Chiaki hears Nodame play the piano for the first time, he is in awe at the kind of music she plays. To Chiaki's dismay, Nodame moves into the apartment next to his and finds out that she is head-over-heels in love with him.

Nodame Cantabile tells the story of Chiaki and Nodame, as they not only learn to deal with each other, but learn lessons from one another as they strive for the top of the musical world.
Read more at MAL

mRpXrE6.jpg

ANN | MAL | aniDB

Member Tags
@Luclocke @MyInnerFred @RainColt @TheProfosist @Rockmandash12 @CatCloud @Charger @iSaeko=(@Oshino Shinobu) @Jaybird @Cryptonite @DarkCrow @EChondo @killers993 @Epitome @GokuLy @lutewan @Izaya Orihara @squirrl @oc0110 @Legion @Laforet @Admire @yurihellsing @EmotionalSloth @Katsu-K1L @TetraSky @Ivyk @Typho @TheGFXNovice @Fruits Punch Samurai G @frustratedrocka @Purple Spy @Sky Daddy @Adamu @Smiles1946 @GloriousPain @gastew15 @Vitalius @Le Lion de Barreras @Kagami Tsukino @DigitalHermit @Unbr34k4bl3 @Noire @Randomacts @c3p0_ @Rashy @ThyFeared @That Norwegian Guy @ThyFeared @wng_kingsley7 @Trogdor8freebird @Rising @brownninja97 @Marvzl1357 @achillesviper @Laputacake @xnoobftw @ArkAngel_X @wolfgang @Daegun @DudeWazap @eelnico09 @Jerakl @Tr3vor @Belgarionbg @Pugs501 @Silver Knight @MageofFaith @KRImSIN @cae @Ploooopp @Phorlorn @BurgerBum @Kukielka @Mujteba @Ruostunut kokis @tobben @Delusional Phil @Laederem @GrimNeo @Makeishura/Taurus Silver @Kizer0918 @Maheshvara @PercySavageEG @SHAD0WxF1R3 @ DollarPCJunior @Opask @soaringchicken @JoeyDM @shanky887614 @Tokuninashi @ NormalJoe @Zer0r8ing @Pomfinator @zappian @Xaring @KingCry @JuztBe @ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen @Brainless906 @azurezeed @ilove64 @Jacona @BashZeStampeedo @thorbrantly101 @ultralars @Pohernori @Xsinar @ONOTech @ManOfDisguise @Tonylu1595 @ICantThinkOfAnyGoodName @Createinator @RedSphyxis @ZeroGenesis @Miqle @Nater @Jack_of_all_Trades @shadowblitz3 @Oasis @dragoon20005 @JarekBloodDragon @beach_boy98 @Gigamegabyte @dr_deconstruct @Skybane @MeMe @Oasis @dragoon20005 @MoonSpot @RazerZ @TheGingerKid @_INTER_ @MeDownYou @Enferk @Oskar94a @FrenziedComet @8uhbbhu8 @Biferony

If you're interested in becoming a member please head over to the main club thread for more information.

This is a poll that is created from a list of suggested anime from the Anime Suggestion Submission thread. If there is any anime you think the club should watch and discuss please suggest it there.

wow, ive seen 3 out of the 5. hmm what to pick that i havent seen. I guess Random will get my vote. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

wow, ive seen 3 out of the 5. hmm what to pick that i havent seen. I guess Random will get my vote. 

You should definitely check out random if you haven't, it gets a thumbs up from me atleast. 

I've seen Gargantia and Space Dandy, Gargantia was pretty nice imo Space Dandy was cool too 

Deleted code is debugged code.

OMG its a throw down! A potential battle of the century from many great anime! @Charger

im surprised that is the one out of all of them you haven't seen

You should definitely check out random if you haven't, it gets a thumbs up from me atleast.

yes you should, everyone should!

OMG its a throw down! A potential battle of the century from many great anime! @Charger im surprised that is the one out of all of them you haven't seen yes you should, everyone should!

In terms of time duration, I am still new to anime. 1,2,4 are what I have seen. Space dandy I watched everyweekend while I was on my internship. 10/10. Space is awesome. I just recently this year, 2015 finished eureka seven. I do not plan on ruining my experience by watching the newer stuff as I heard it's terrible. And I finished gargantia last fall. Excellent series with a fresh scenery to the common post apocalyptic world.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Interesting picks. I'm not too sure if I'd rather rewatch "And the town" or finally try to finish Dandy (didn't click with me at the time).

I just recently this year, 2015 finished eureka seven. I do not plan on ruining my experience by watching the newer stuff as I heard it's terrible.

E7:Ao isn't terrible, and in fact it's probably not that much worse than the original series once you strip away the baseless nostalgia (E7's not really as fantastic as its reputation suggests, and I say that as a fan). It's more that the fandom kept looking for reasons to hate Ao, since it dared to defy expectations somewhat.

PS: I doubt I'll ever understand what people see in Gargantia. Pretty dopey series, really. It even had the gall to tease us with an awesome first and second episode, only to get pretty darn tedious after that.

In terms of time duration, I am still new to anime. 1,2,4 are what I have seen. Space dandy I watched everyweekend while I was on my internship. 10/10. Space is awesome. I just recently this year, 2015 finished eureka seven. I do not plan on ruining my experience by watching the newer stuff as I heard it's terrible. And I finished gargantia last fall. Excellent series with a fresh scenery to the common post apocalyptic world.

Gargantia is newer... Nodame is post 2007 for sure and is one of the best if not the best from the start of that.

Interesting picks. I'm not too sure if I'd rather rewatch "And the town" or finally try to finish Dandy (didn't click with me at the time).

E7:Ao isn't terrible, and in fact it's probably not that much worse than the original series once you strip away the baseless nostalgia (E7's not really as fantastic as its reputation suggests, and I say that as a fan). It's more that the fandom kept looking for reasons to hate Ao, since it dared to defy expectations somewhat.

PS: I doubt I'll ever understand what people see in Gargantia. Pretty dopey series, really. It even had the gall to tease us with an awesome first and second episode, only to get pretty darn tedious after that.

Ao is pretty not good compared to the original in my opinion. Especially if you watch the sub as the dub has been fairly heavily localized. Nanahi is the best group as they actually translated direct from script. Its a hardsub and for many years now ive want to OCR that (painstakingly time consuming) and apply the suibs to the newer BD release.

Gargantia is not tedious at all but might be a thinker.

It went somewhere I never expected initially. It delves into something that a bunch of great anime do. That being the human race both on personal level and as a whole. It might be a heavy topic but when executed well it turns out amazing as this did.

Ao is pretty not good compared to the original in my opinion.

You're hardly the only person to suggest that, but after trying to rewatch the original to more fairly compare the two, I can't in good conscience say that it's all that superior. Ao tries harder and stumbles harder, that's all. the original's too long for its own good, Ao's too unfocused for its own good. The original is better with characterization, Ao is better with themes. Perhaps I didn't mind it as much because I viewed it less as a sequel and more as a series having a tangential connection to the original.

Gargantia is not tedious at all but might be a thinker.

I was thoroughly bored with it, and I generally love properly "thinky" anime. One man's trash, etc etc.

You're hardly the only person to suggest that, but after trying to rewatch the original to more fairly compare the two, I can't in good conscience say that it's all that superior. Ao tries harder and stumbles harder, that's all. the original's too long for its own good, Ao's too unfocused for its own good. The original is better with characterization, Ao is better with themes. Perhaps I didn't mind it as much because I viewed it less as a sequel and more as a series having a tangential connection to the original.

I was thoroughly bored with it, and I generally love properly "thinky" anime. One man's trash, etc etc.

"You're hardly the only person to suggest that"

Explain this maybe?

If your going to put Eureka Seven in the name you have to expect it to be related to the other. I understand its not a sequel and neither was the movie.

Were you the one that didnt enjoy From The New World?

Hmmm I've watched at least some episodes or all episodes of all the choices this week .

Hated Space Dandy with a passion !

I liked Gargantia for the first few episodes but not thrilled the rest or with mechas . Great story idea not fufilled .

Town moves bored the hell out of me .

Eureka Seven was very good despite the protagonist anoying me . This is one of the few anime that mechas make sense . Usually they seem silly or like somebody in the studio decided to throw mechas in for the hell of it . I just rewatched this .

PS- Like others I advise you stick to the old run as the newer stuff is Bollocks !

Nodame Cantabile was very boring despite having lovely bits of classical music in it .

All this being said I voted for Eureka Seven .

MSI Z97A Gaming7 , 4690k , 2 X MSI 960 4g , 500gb ssd , 7tb of WD hdd storage , EVGA 100G2 , Corsair h100i , 2 X 32" 1440p as I RMAd the 4k ones , CM quickfire .

NOW I'VE LOST IT I KNOW I CAN KILL . TRUTH IS HIDDEN BEYOND THE GATES  IT'S ALL DARKER THAN BLACK .

Hmmm I've watched at least some episodes or all episodes of all the choices this week .

Hated Space Dandy with a passion !

I liked Gargantia for the first few episodes but not thrilled the rest or with mechas . Great story idea not fufilled .

Town moves bored the hell out of me .

Eureka Seven was very good despite the protagonist anoying me . This is one of the few anime that mechas make sense . Usually they seem silly or like somebody in the studio decided to throw mechas in for the hell of it . I just rewatched this .

PS- Like others I advise you stick to the old run as the newer stuff is Bollocks !

Nodame Cantabile was very boring despite having lovely bits of classical music in it .

All this being said I voted for Eureka Seven .

Gargantia wasnt about the mecha and it wasnt supposed to be, not even really a main point except for its not so hidden power

In eureka 7 mecha are a main thing, without them and the battles the story wouldnt proceed. I will agree with you on not liking anime where mecha ahve no business being in or where it could have been anything and didnt need to be mecha.

You have surprised me with your response ill just say that.

edited

Interesting choices, will have to think a bit about my vote. Everyone has seen Eureka Seven and I expect it to win, or at least fair well in the results. 

Nodame was pretty good though I seem to recall it took a while to take off; which isn't a beef for me, but that tends to be a thing that people dislike(investing in / waiting for character development).  I also seem to remember it being 3 seasons long, an oddity for the romance category that took off in the mid to late 2k golden age of anime.

Haven't seen the others and might have to get my toes wet and strip them down a bit before I can chose between them.

I voted for and yet the town moves, the art style is interesting, and the premise is also interesting.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Such a terrible poll this time honestly.

They're all amazing I can't pick one :(

But I will vote for Gargantia just because it's the least known of these.

Though.. Eureka will always be in my top 10.

Only seen Gargantia on the Verderous Planet for this week's poll. I liked it. Quite a few major plot twists.

So yeah.. Voting for that one.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Space Dandy ... Because reasons ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

I'll vote for the music comedy. 

We are nearing Week 50, whats gonna happen? Whatsssss gonnnaaaaa happennn???? Ehh?

cb529ca9e0c82afc1118af2784370e78519fb23d

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I'll vote for the music comedy.

We are nearing Week 50, whats gonna happen? Whatsssss gonnnaaaaa happennn???? Ehh?

maybe @CatCloud will do his special week or we could do a special week for something anyways

maybe @CatCloud will do his special week or we could do a special week for something anyways

Hmm good idea. Discuss about this now? I'll be back on Sunday night I think.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^