UK Customers cannot refund games on Steam?

Master Disaster

So i just noticed something while i was purchasing a game on Steam, and i quote

By clicking the button below to proceed you agree that Valve provides you immediate access to digital content as soon as you complete your purchase, without waiting the 14-day withdrawal period. Therefore, you expressly waive your right to withdraw from this purchase.

post-153490-0-20862400-1433755298_thumb.

Now i am no lawyer but that seems to me to be saying as soon as i click Purchase i am waiving my rights to return the game for a refund.

I'm sorry Valve but that is a total dick move right there, what makes the UK so dispensable that you can just exclude us from the whole refund plan you guys have?

Anybody else from any other countries noticed this?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Yeah legally they can't wave your consumer rights, or laws in the UK or EU if you're within the 14 days. Take it to small claims and Valve would get laughed at. I get the same message in Ireland.

I've recently begun avoiding Steam myself, I can't accept their practices. Only time a game gets activated is if it's from a promotion key, like Batman with a graphics card.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

That is completely within the EU law. There is no consumer law in the EU, that let's you use software for 14 days with full reimbursement. The law distinguishes between physical goods and software, so Valve is in the right to do so.

That means, that the refund policy of Valve, is their own, which is why they can remove people's rights for it, if they abuse it.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Pretty sure that's a hold over from the infancy of electronic transactions. You have a grace period between when the sale is made, and when the bank issues funds. I mean you could ask steam support.....J/k

That is completely within the EU law. There is no consumer law in the EU, that let's you use software for 14 days with full reimbursement. The law distinguishes between physical goods and software, so Valve is in the right to do so.

That means, that the refund policy of Valve, is their own, which is why they can remove people's rights for it, if they abuse it.

the issue is that EU law recognises the download as the point at which the 14 day waiver goes, which for films, music, this makes sense but for games it doesnt, so they need to add some lines in for that

the issue is that EU law recognises the download as the point at which the 14 day waiver goes, which for films, music, this makes sense but for games it doesnt, so they need to add some lines in for that

What the law states and common sense, are rarely the same thing. However in this case it does make some sense. If the product is outright defective (can't run), or a scam, as not at all like stated on the shop screen, then yeah, you can get a refund. But generally you do waiver your 14 day refund right, the second you "consume" the game, as in install it. I'm not sure what the case would be, if you put it in your inventory as a gift though, but I doubt the law state anything about that.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

What the law states and common sense, are rarely the same thing. However in this case it does make some sense. If the product is outright defective (can't run), or a scam, as not at all like stated on the shop screen, then yeah, you can get a refund. But generally you do waiver your 14 day refund right, the second you "consume" the game, as in install it. I'm not sure what the case would be, if you put it in your inventory as a gift though, but I doubt the law state anything about that.

But then that goes directly against the advertised 14 day 2 hour playtime (which ever comes first) refund policy they're currently offering.

I mean AFAIK USA has zero consumer protection laws in place and yet Americans can still claim refunds within the advertised period, why single out the UK?

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

But then that goes directly against the advertised 14 day 2 hour playtime (which ever comes first) refund policy they're currently offering.

I mean AFAIK USA has zero consumer protection laws in place and yet Americans can still claim refunds within the advertised period, why single out the UK?

There seems to be some confusion here, made by OP. The highlighted part, is just a disclaimer/waiver for the actual EU law, and is completely separate from Valve's own refund policies. You still get your refunds in the UK, but Valve's own, not a law mandated right.

With EU law maybe, but we have our own laws in these parts and you cannot wave those off with a tick box. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

There seems to be some confusion here, made by OP. The highlighted part, is just a disclaimer/waiver for the actual EU law, and is completely separate from Valve's own refund policies. You still get your refunds in the UK, but Valve's own, not a law mandated right.

If that was the case then the need for the highlighted paragraph would be zero, i mean why would they say your waiving your EU rights to a refund as soon as you click purchase if they're offering a refund policy themselves which is going to offer me exactly the same thing as i just waived by clicking Purchase? That's a bit like saying you give up your right to eat the food you purchased when you pay for it but its OK cause we will give you the food to eat anyway.

Also I might be wrong here but i buy quite regularly from Steam and my eyes were drawn to that paragraph because i immediately noticed it was different from last time i purchased a game from Steam meaning it must be a fairly new addition to the sale page.

I remember people complaining about this waiver and tick box a quite awhile ago, it's hardly new as far as I know.

Example:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/330335-confused-by-the-steam-subscriber-agreement/    March 18th 2015

(This is from the first link I found on a google search)

It also still makes sense regardless if Steam offers their own refund service outside of EU rights. It just seems like, in order to avoid complications, they have you waive the EU rights.

If anything they should probably just revise the old text (As this has been being showed on purchases well before the new steam refund policy) to specify if you are waiving both or just the EU part of it.

I remember people complaining about this waiver and tick box a quite awhile ago, it's hardly new as far as I know.

Example:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/330335-confused-by-the-steam-subscriber-agreement/    March 18th 2015

(This is from the first link I found on a google search)

It also still makes sense regardless if Steam offers their own refund service outside of EU rights. It just seems like, in order to avoid complications, they have you waive the EU rights.

If anything they should probably just revise the old text (As this has been being showed on purchases well before the new steam refund policy) to specify if you are waiving both or just the EU part of it.

Strange i didn't notice until now?

Thanks for that though, at least it shows they've not added it recently to exempt UK customers from the refund policy.

I'm still really puzzled why they feel the need to have it there at all though, their own refund policy supersedes the EU consumer protection one anyway making it the most pointless thing i've ever seen.

Like i said in the above post, "You waive your right to eat the food you bought when you pay for it but its OK because we will give you the food to eat anyway"

Pointless

the refund doesnt cover DLC just full games i believe

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

If that was the case then the need for the highlighted paragraph would be zero, i mean why would they say your waiving your EU rights to a refund as soon as you click purchase if they're offering a refund policy themselves which is going to offer me exactly the same thing as i just waived by clicking Purchase? That's a bit like saying you give up your right to eat the food you purchased when you pay for it but its OK cause we will give you the food to eat anyway.

Also I might be wrong here but i buy quite regularly from Steam and my eyes were drawn to that paragraph because i immediately noticed it was different from last time i purchased a game from Steam meaning it must be a fairly new addition to the sale page.

Again, legally speaking, there is a huge difference between a law mandated consumer right, with all the consequences of breaking that law; and a proprietary consumer right, giving at own will by Valve, which they are free to remove as they please.

The waiver box you tick is standard on most, if not all EU shops, that deals in software/music/other non physical goods. You get the exact same disclaimer if you use certain paid for sms services.