New Build /Overclocking 4690k and msi gtx 970

Hey all !

First time poster and new to linustechtips forums in general, found the forums yesterday and have been snooping here alot already! Loving it!

Have a few questions i hope i can get help with, so here we go!

I'm upgrading my old rig:

(P8z77-v pro, 2500k (4,3Ghz), Gtx 770)

To my new rig:

(Asus maximus vii ranger , 4690k, Gtx 970)

I'm getting new ram(hyper x fury 1600mhz) , getting a new psu(corsair rm 1000)

Now my aim ofcourse is to get the most out of my new hardware, will clock my cpu,ram and gpu. My question is what numbers should i be aiming for? I have an Intel ts13x liquid cooling system. 4,5Ghz on the cpu is decent or should i aim higher? How high should i push my ram? Regarding the gpu ive found several guides on clocking that , and im thinking i should follow them, aiming for 1500ish Mhz boostclock? 

Are people interested in pictures of my current build and maybe see pictures of my new build? 

1000 watt psu is way overkill even for overclocking :). Well everything else is ok for this build. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

Dont overclock RAM, you wont get better performance

Hey, welcome to the forum. Your build's very similar to mine, Currently I have the following overclocks

CPU:
4.7 GHz stable
1.37V
102 Base clock
46x multiplier

GPU(still needs some tweaking):
+87mV
+180MHz core clock
+180MHz Memory clock

RAM(haven't bothered with)
1866 XMP profile

I'd be interesting in some pictures of your build.

Wow fast replies! I know the psu is overkill, but hey, i got it cheaper than the 740 version, from komplett.no so i thought why the hell not ! :D 

I wont touch the ram more then the xmp profile then, seems to me fair enough :) I will be taking pictures of my rig tonight, im currently at work, will do before and after pics with the the after pictures coming next week  :) 

so 4,7Ghz is doable then !  Do you have 3dmark score on your rig?

Sam your right! It started with me buying a new gpu, but then i got eager again and felt the URGE to build completely new! :P

What you mean with silicon god? sumthing i should be aware of? 

Sam your right! It started with me buying a new gpu, but then i got eager again and felt the URGE to build completely new! :P

What you mean with silicon god? sumthing i should be aware of?

No two chips will be exactly the same your max cpu overclock will all be determined by how good the cpu is and it can vary quite a bit some people can only hit 4.3ghz while some can hit 4.8ghz it all depends on what you get. So it's a lottery based on small silicon objects, therefore the silicon lottery.

Allright ! then ill keep my fingers crossed and indeed pray to the silicone gods! Im Thinking about my gpu overclocking, ill be using msi afterburner for this right? 

Allright ! then ill keep my fingers crossed and indeed pray to the silicone gods! Im Thinking about my gpu overclocking, ill be using msi afterburner for this right?

I never got into GPU overclocking the gains aren't as big as cpu overclocking, then again what model of 970 do you have?

I never got into GPU overclocking the gains aren't as big as cpu overclocking, then again what model of 970 do you have?

I got the msi gtx 970

hmm , i thought i did my research, i found out that the msi came out best on ocing

ah well, i can still do a decent oc on the gpu , maybe not the highest but i can still squeeze that lemon a bit ;) With my setup optimalised and all it will be better then stock. Cant w8 to get my hand on my new parts, and build and tweak my new rig!  Thx Alot for the help so far, will post a few pictures of my current build later on tonight.

The success in overclocking the processor will be mostly based on the type of cooler you use and the silicon lottery. That Intel AIO is not that great and will not allow you to push the clock speed that much. It is basically a glorified H80, non "i" edition. Get the H100i or better yet the H110, if you have the space to fit a 280mm radiator, of course.  The overclocking yous should be aiming for in general terms is 4.5GHz. This is what is usually considered a nice overclock for the i5. Anything above that means you got an amazing chip and happens somewhat rarely. @ProKoN has a very nice guide in CPU overclocking. You can check it out in the other section of the forum. 

RAM overclocking, well, that one is tricky. There are lots of things that can go wrong when you mess up the timings and command rate, so if you are new into overclocking, I wouldn't recommend touching that. I personally spent 2 weeks overclocking my RAM and there no real performance benefits in day-to-day tasks. the only thing you get is bragging rights because you have a faster RAM and higher benchmark scores. You can check this thread I made  where we compare different DDR3 RAM speeds with DDR4 and we do some overclocking, exploring how timings affect a particular RAM speed; also whether CPU cach frequency has any impact -> http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/289184-which-is-better-ddr4-at-3000mhz-cl15-or-3200mhz-cl16/

For GPU overclcoking, I will have to refer you to the appropriate section of the forum.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

analog thx for the long reply, i will be aiming for 4.5 ghz , and will look into a new cooler aswell.  will check out th elinks you send when i get home and not working . will have more time to read ^^ thx again!

ok so my corsair H110i GT is in the mail as well with the rest of my parts! wooop! :D

If you're going to overclock your GPU, use OCCT with error check enabled. Perform 30 minute stress tests. If you get through 30 minutes without any errors, consider that stable. This is the way I've done it and I've never had a crash playing the latest games. Don't bother using your eyes and Unigine Valley or Heaven to spot errors.

OCCT with error check is the best way to do it. The images on the screen won't move by the way. Don't worry.

Don't listen to anyone who says that overclocking your GPU is a waste of time. I ended up getting a 33% improvement in performance after OCing my card. GTA V runs so much better with my overclock enabled.

Just make sure to find out what the acceptable max temps are for your video card and go from there. Don't let the card get too hot in OCCT.

I use MSI afterburner for OCing GPU's. As far as I know, it's one of the most popular and one of the best. Don't bother with anything else.

BigDay

analog thx for the long reply, i will be aiming for 4.5 ghz , and will look into a new cooler aswell.  will check out th elinks you send when i get home and not working . will have more time to read ^^ thx again!

ok so my corsair H110i GT is in the mail as well with the rest of my parts! wooop! :D

I am glad that you find the info helpful. Thumbs up for the H110i. Awesome cooler!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I am glad that you find the info helpful. Thumbs up for the H110i. Awesome cooler!

yeah man ! its gonna be amazing, i trully cant w8 for my parts to arrive! Will be saving up sum money now for asus rog front base gaming panel , i think it will look amazing, and be handy to get a cool looking fan control bay. 

( https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG_Front_Base/

If you're going to overclock your GPU, use OCCT with error check enabled. Perform 30 minute stress tests. If you get through 30 minutes without any errors, consider that stable. This is the way I've done it and I've never had a crash playing the latest games. Don't bother using your eyes and Unigine Valley or Heaven to spot errors.

OCCT with error check is the best way to do it. The images on the screen won't move by the way. Don't worry.

Don't listen to anyone who says that overclocking your GPU is a waste of time. I ended up getting a 33% improvement in performance after OCing my card. GTA V runs so much better with my overclock enabled.

Just make sure to find out what the acceptable max temps are for your video card and go from there. Don't let the card get too hot in OCCT.

I use MSI afterburner for OCing GPU's. As far as I know, it's one of the most popular and one of the best. Don't bother with anything else.

Thx for the pointers mate ! Will be helpfull when i get my parts! :)

Thx for the pointers mate ! Will be helpfull when i get my parts! :)

http://www.ocbase.com/

Start OCing the core first. Look around and see what others have been able to max their clock at with similar cooling. Take some points off their numbers and start there. Increase the core in small increments and then test with stock voltage. If you get errors with OCCT, try increasing the voltage slowly until you pass a test with 0 errors. Continue to increase the core clock until you run into errors; increase voltage again to compensate. Higher core clocks may require higher core voltage.

Once you've found a voltage that doesn't cause your card to heat up past its safe max and you've maxed out your core clock with that voltage, move on to OCing the memory.

When you OC your memory, keep the core clock and core voltage that you found stable applied. You need to test the memory stability with the core clock and core voltage you just found. You don't want to sacrifice core clocks for memory clocks. Increase your memory clock in small increments and test again with OCCT with error check enabled for 30 minutes. Keep going until you run into errors. Obviously, if you get errors, just lower the memory clock in small increments until you pass the test with 0 errors.

If you want to get a bit more memory after you've found your max on the core, core voltage, and memory, you can always lower your core clock a bit and bump up the memory from there. IMO, core clocks > memory so just try it the way I outlined above. If you have any questions PM me.

BigDay

Here a few pics of my rig , this will all new during the next week orso :)

be6k9z.jpg

npq9mu.jpg

16kbckn.jpg

2ii901c.jpg

Here a picture of my desk , for those who happen to give a f*** :P

16hjcqd.jpg

e6rixj.jpg