My first Build Log :) (i5|R9 290 Gaming PC)

itsMacyyyy

Hey guys, I have finally managed to build a PC that I'm happy with. For the past few years I've been running my components in an old case from my first prebuilt pc, and they were suffocating due to lack of proper cooling. So after saving up a bit and using some of my 18th birthday money I decided to put together a proper system with proper cooling. So firstly the parts are:

CPU - Intel Core i5 4690k

I always wanted to overclock my CPU therefore I went with an unlocked i5. It has all the performance I need for a decent price. I wanted a 4790k but decided I don't really need it so in the end I went with the i5

Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VII Ranger

The only explanation I really have for choosing this motherboard over other billion Z97 ones out there is since I was like 12 I always wanted an ROG motherboard with high end features like a diagnostic LED and Start button. I don't really need some of those features but my 12 year old self called out to me and told me to get it. It also has all the features I need. 

CPU Cooler - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

It's extremely quiet, looks sexy and fits so why not. I was originally going to get a Corsair H110i GTX but after looking at other peoples builds i realied I really don't like the look of the tubing that comes with AIO watercoolers, it kinda just awkwardly bends over your RAM or just looks like it doesn't belong there. So for now I went with be quiet! until I save up enough for custom watercooling, which again I don't need but I would want to try it. 

GPU - Powercolor R9 290 PCS+

Got an open boxed deal on it from overclockers.co.uk few months ago for £180 so I had to get it. It's performance is more than sufficient for me for now and I will probably think about getting the GTX 980Ti when I upgrade to a higher resolution.

Case - Fractal Design Define R5

I like the simplistic look of this case and I've heard good opinions about it. I've also built a system for a friend in the R4 and found it easy to build in so I went with the windowed R5.

PSU - Corsair RM550

I took it from my previous system. I like the zero fan mode and the wattage is sufficient for me. If I need a higher wattage PSU I will probably still stick with the RM series. 

Storage - Kingston SSDnow 300 128GB, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Green

The SSD is from my previous system and I got it on a sale somewhere for 30 quid. I'm happy with it for now but I probably will try to go with an M.2 SSD when I can afford one. 

1TB Barracuda is a 6 year old drive from my prebuilt system. It's still spinning so I keep my movies on it. 

I bought a new Barracuda for this system to keep my games and other files on it as my WD Green was full as well as it's ridiculously slow...

LEDS - NZXT White Sleeved LED Kit 2M

When I get paid this time I'm planning to go with a CableMod kit of sleeved Red/Black cables to replace this PSU's stiff and horrible cables.

PERIPHERALS

Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma

Keyboard - Corsair K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown)

Bday present from my girlfriend. Prefer the Blue switches from my previous BlackWidow but overall I like the build quality of the K70, as well as the RBG backlight :)

Headphones - audio-technica M50x, Sennheiser IE80 for gaming and outdoor use as I find M50x's are not bassy enough for some games. 

Microphone - Samson C01U

kUgyY8n.jpg

MpEVruh.jpg

Ml6iSdy.jpg

Seems cool, followed :D

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Updated with Pictures :)

Good god, the cable management is on point man!

Great job!

You don't hear much from Powercolor, but they do make some nice looking GPU's. 

I also heard that the SSD you have is not that good, how is it working for you? (I heard its read and write speeds are just a bit faster than regular HDD's)

And what microphone is that?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Good god, the cable management is on point man!

Great job!

You don't hear much from Powercolor, but they do make some nice looking GPU's. 

I also heard that the SSD you have is not that good, how is it working for you? (I heard its read and write speeds are just a bit faster than regular HDD's)

And what microphone is that?

Yea I'm really pleased with the Powercolor card even though it's huge :D

The SSD is alright for me but yea I heard some bad stuff about it. It boots up my computer fast enough and just using the computer is miles faster than a regular HDD. But yea an upgrade is due for the SSD.

Microphone is Samson C01U. It's around 50 quid and it's good quality for teamspeak and that kind of stuff. 

Nice work :D

Just a question though, why don't you put the fan for the cooler as push? coz the exhaust fan sort of (but not really) acts as a pulling fan, then you can make optimal use of airflow.

idk, I just have a personal preference for push. Not that it really matters in this case.

Or is there ram clearance issues? if so, just ignore everything i said except the first line

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Do you have the V300 before or after the controller swap?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Do you have the V300 before or after the controller swap?

Before, heard the ones with the old controller are decent.

Nice work :D

Just a question though, why don't you put the fan for the cooler as push? coz the exhaust fan sort of (but not really) acts as a pulling fan, then you can make optimal use of airflow.

idk, I just have a personal preference for push. Not that it really matters in this case.

Or is there ram clearance issues? if so, just ignore everything i said except the first line

There is massive RAM clearance issues, as my Kingston Beasts have quiet tall heat spreaders, I couldn't mount any of my RAM. Then I decided to take all the fans off and set them up so the fan in the middle pulls the air in from the right and the fan on the left of the cooler pushes it out the case along with the Corsair fan at the back of the case. Don't know if my cooling set up makes sense but it's the only way I could install RAM. 

Very nice cable management and the overall build looks very clean! Good job, mate! :) 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900