SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

On 1/28/2018 at 3:09 PM, ZombiPL said:

we just added small clock to our website... :D:)

You are killing me

1 hour ago, ZombiPL said:

Naaah, it's just a clock :D

Is the pricing different or is it back to pre order pricing or retail pricing?

4 hours ago, MRP0P1NFR3SH said:

Is the pricing different or is it back to pre order pricing or retail pricing?

The price is at the same level as we showed the predicted after-campaign-retail price, but it is still not a standard retail but "on-demand pre-order" like in indiegogo campaign (we have to be sure that everything works fine and that there is still a market for such product, before we go into standard retail). Because we are in Poland, Paypal forced us to use our account based in PLN, that is why we decided we will be showing PLN as our main paying currency.

But we understand where is the problem: very weak USD currency compared to EURO and Polish PLN now and during the indiegogo campaign.

Predicted after-campaign prices showed in the indiegogo campaign (link to the currency calculation table from the date of the indiegogo campaign start 10.01.2017):
970 PLN, €222 EURO, $235 USD

First after-campaign sale (current pre-orders) (link to the currency calculation table from yesterday 29.01.2018):

970 PLN, €234 EURO, $291 USD

It looks like on the date of the campaign start the EURO to USD ratio was 0,94 : 1 (for one dollar you could buy 94 euro cents), so it was nearly 1:1.
Today this EURO to USD ratio is 0,81 : 1 (for one dollar you can buy only 81 euro cents). That makes this difference you asked :(

What is more, some of our suppliers from outside EU, rised their prices in USD or even asked us if we can pay in EURO, because of currently weak dollar... and in the current situation we understand them. It also means that in the future the price of Sentry in USD can rise or goes down, depending how good will be the condition of US economy and the "power" of dollar (same goes for EURO, since Poland is still outside EURO-zone). From our side, we decided to keep our price from the campaign, and since PayPal forced us to use bank account in PLN, we will be showing it as our main currency (at least for now).

I hope this clarifies some things in this matter.

Hi there, just ordered mine during the last pre-order ?

Ideally I would like to put an i7-8700/8700k inside, any feedback from other builders regarding the heat?

What's the best cooling solution you could recommend? I might go for a cryorig c7 modified with a noctua fan (thank's to Masada02 recommandation)  but it seems to run pretty hot

I'm quite concerned about the cpu overheating as i'm planning to do some 3D rendering and simulation 

on this build, but the 16 threads are really attractive for the software I'm using... (mostly houdini) 

cheers 

2 hours ago, Falafel said:

Hi there, just ordered mine during the last pre-order ?

Ideally I would like to put an i7-8700/8700k inside, any feedback from other builders regarding the heat?

What's the best cooling solution you could recommend? I might go for a cryorig c7 modified with a noctua fan (thank's to Masada02 recommandation)  but it seems to run pretty hot

I'm quite concerned about the cpu overheating as i'm planning to do some 3D rendering and simulation 

on this build, but the 16 threads are really attractive for the software I'm using... (mostly houdini) 

cheers 

We recommend going for non-K variant, that's for sure.

Cryorig is a nice cooler, but it isn't really meant for it's 48mm size because it's really loud when facing inlet close. Check this out to hear for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzpO4kL7a9o

C7 had also some issues with mounting mechanisms (too long screws, base interfering with capacitors on 115x boards etc.) when it launch, and I don't know if those were resolved.

Noctua NH-L9i seems like standard approach for 65W TDP / non-K CPU. 

I also think you are slightly confusing i7-8700/K with Ryzen 7 in terms of thread count - the i7-8700/K have 6 cores and 12 threads while Ryzen 7 are the ones with 16 threads.

I have Ryzen 7 1700 (65W) in my rig and with NH-L9i it performed okay, and I have to say that this specific CPU is quite interesting as it maintains nice temps when all threads are loaded and it doesn't reach max boost that way, but it heats up pretty quickly to higher temps (still safe though) when running singe/double threaded load.

If you are only going to work on this system, I'd recommend going for R7 1700 for the core count, with a proper high-end board, and if you really need top notch performance in games, than think about i7-8700.

2 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

We recommend going for non-K variant, that's for sure.

Cryorig is a nice cooler, but it isn't really meant for it's 48mm size because it's really loud when facing inlet close. Check this out to hear for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzpO4kL7a9o

C7 had also some issues with mounting mechanisms (too long screws, base interfering with capacitors on 115x boards etc.) when it launch, and I don't know if those were resolved.

Noctua NH-L9i seems like standard approach for 65W TDP / non-K CPU. 

I also think you are slightly confusing i7-8700/K with Ryzen 7 in terms of thread count - the i7-8700/K have 6 cores and 12 threads while Ryzen 7 are the ones with 16 threads.

I have Ryzen 7 1700 (65W) in my rig and with NH-L9i it performed okay, and I have to say that this specific CPU is quite interesting as it maintains nice temps when all threads are loaded and it doesn't reach max boost that way, but it heats up pretty quickly to higher temps (still safe though) when running singe/double threaded load.

If you are only going to work on this system, I'd recommend going for R7 1700 for the core count, with a proper high-end board, and if you really need top notch performance in games, than think about i7-8700.

Hey thank's for the reply, yeah I meant 12 threads not 16, I typed too fast ?

I was quite settled going for intel but I'm not against AMD, what mobo would you recommend in this case? 

Was planning to go with the Gigabyte Z370N WIFI or the Asus Strix Z370-I with the intel...

The plan is to use moslty this build for work/3D production including C4D/Houdini/Arnold/Octane

also real time VJing at some point, And a little bit for gaming but not the main use

cheers

J

1 hour ago, Falafel said:

Hey thank's for the reply, yeah I meant 12 threads not 16, I typed too fast ?

I was quite settled going for intel but I'm not against AMD, what mobo would you recommend in this case? 

Was planning to go with the Gigabyte Z370N WIFI or the Asus Strix Z370-I with the intel...

The plan is to use moslty this build for work/3D production including C4D/Houdini/Arnold/Octane

also real time VJing at some point, And a little bit for gaming but not the main use

cheers

J

I don't think you need to go up to strix since that's the most expensive stuff, and you will not be able to use the potential to OC on that board in Sentry most likely, especially if you were to go with non-K CPU.

Both of those board support dual M.2 which is nice :)

Just waiting on my R5 2400G at the moment. I am still going to order stuff from cablemod too but I think stock cables will work just fine for interim. Gskill 2x8GB @ 3000mhz, Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 (bootdrive), 2x 2TB Seagate 2.5" HDD in Raid 0. Cryorig C7 w/ Thermo Grizzly Kryonaut TIM, Corsair SF600. Oh, and I might wedge an RGB strip in there too. I will likely put in a GPU in the future but Raven Ridge is looking pretty awesome for an HTPC and Plex Server for the near term. I've waited over a year to do this build. Super looking forward to it finally coming together.

20180212_180247.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I received mine as well! Super happy, I started to build,

@SaperPL

I'm just trying to fix the PCI-E riser and I have a problem, one screw is fixed, but the hole for the other one is not aligned at all, impossible to put a screw in here... 

anyone else? What i'm supposed to do..?

Cheers 

IMG_7686.JPG

IMG_8622.JPG

6 hours ago, Falafel said:

Hi there, I received mine as well! Super happy, I started to build,

@SaperPL

I'm just trying to fix the PCI-E riser and I have a problem, one screw is fixed, but the hole for the other one is not aligned at all, impossible to put a screw in here... 

anyone else? What i'm supposed to do..?

Cheers 

I'm not SaperPL, but hopefully I can help. 

The screw isn't supposed to go through both the riser and the case. The screw goes through only the case and keeps the riser in place by not allowing the riser to move around. It's a way to make it so any riser can work with the case. 

You pull the riser through the slot (male end first) from the gpu chamber to the cpu chamber until you can't move the riser any more. You then screw in the screws. The riser should be unable to move due to the screws stopping it from shifting towards the gpu chamber. Just to reiterate; the riser is locked into place without having the screws to through it. The entire process should require little to no force. 

Hopefully I made sense. If you need any clarification, please let me know. 

6 hours ago, Octagoncow said:

I'm not SaperPL, but hopefully I can help. 

The screw isn't supposed to go through both the riser and the case. The screw goes through only the case and keeps the riser in place by not allowing the riser to move around. It's a way to make it so any riser can work with the case. 

You pull the riser through the slot (male end first) from the gpu chamber to the cpu chamber until you can't move the riser any more. You then screw in the screws. The riser should be unable to move due to the screws stopping it from shifting towards the gpu chamber. Just to reiterate; the riser is locked into place without having the screws to through it. The entire process should require little to no force. 

Hopefully I made sense. If you need any clarification, please let me know. 

Hey thank's for you answer! 

make total sense! I should have checked the online instruction before it's much more detailed than the paper in the box I thought the screws were supposed to go in the holes of the riser on the teeny tiny sketch instruction but it's clear on the online one, 

I'll fix that today

thank's again

cheers! 

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and to the SFF space in general but I am very intrigued and I'm starting to buy new SFF components to hopefully build in the Dr. Zaber Sentry once it retails.

I am just a bit apprehensive about the thermal performance of the case as the official website recommends CPU TDP of 65W and GPU of 150W.

For my CPU I am using an Intel i5 7600K with Noctua L9i, and for my GPU I have a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080. Both are at stock speed and I do not plan on overclocking at all. In fact, I plan on undervolting both in order to reduce the amount of heat produced.

Can anyone give me any insight or experience with the case and its thermal performance? Does my setup consume too much power to remain at safe temps in this tiny case?

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, DownsizeMe said:

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and to the SFF space in general but I am very intrigued and I'm starting to buy new SFF components to hopefully build in the Dr. Zaber Sentry once it retails.

I am just a bit apprehensive about the thermal performance of the case as the official website recommends CPU TDP of 65W and GPU of 150W.

For my CPU I am using an Intel i5 7600K with Noctua L9i, and for my GPU I have a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080. Both are at stock speed and I do not plan on overclocking at all. In fact, I plan on undervolting both in order to reduce the amount of heat produced.

Can anyone give me any insight or experience with the case and its thermal performance? Does my setup consume too much power to remain at safe temps in this tiny case?

Thanks!

You'll be totally fine. I have an i7-4790K (delidded and undervolted)  and a GTX 1080 Founders Edition (overclocked)  and don't have issues. However the difference with my setup is I'm using the Thermolab LP53 cpu cooler with the Noctua NF-a9x14 fan. It's quite a bit better than the typical nh-l9i. Other than that I recommend a high quality thermal paste like Thermal Grizzly Cryonaut. 

18 minutes ago, ej24 said:

You'll be totally fine. I have an i7-4790K (delidded and undervolted)  and a GTX 1080 Founders Edition (overclocked)  and don't have issues. However the difference with my setup is I'm using the Thermolab LP53 cpu cooler with the Noctua NF-a9x14 fan. It's quite a bit better than the typical nh-l9i. Other than that I recommend a high quality thermal paste like Thermal Grizzly Cryonaut. 

Thank you!  This makes me feel much more confident.

Unfortunately I've already purchased the L9i so I'm stuck with that for now...  Do you think the thermal paste that the Noctua comes with will suffice?

Also, what kind of temps are you looking at with your setup?

double post

Edited by ej24

8 minutes ago, DownsizeMe said:

Unfortunately I've already purchased the L9i so I'm stuck with that for now...  Do you think the thermal paste that the Noctua comes with will suffice?

Noctua thermal paste is also very good. 

As for the LP53, see my review on [H]ard forum

https://hardforum.com/threads/thermolab-cooltek-lp53-review.1923635/

On 23.3.2018 at 4:11 AM, DownsizeMe said:

I've run the L9i with a 6600k on stock speed for a year (switched to ryzen 5 recently) and it's quite ok. Temps are stable and the cooler is silent. I switched from an Open air cooled 970 to a blower style cooled 1080 and it made quite the difference in temps and noise. It seems like the open air cooler heats up the whole case, where the blower style cooler only heats up the gpu area of the case (the sentry itself always gets warm/hot).

Are you coming to bed? I can't. This is important.

What? Someone is wrong on the internet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anyone got a successfully configured Sentry 1.1 running a Ryzen 7 3000 series CPU, specifically a 3700x or larger? I recently swapped my 2400g with a 3700x and I'm running a Cryorig C7 and it hovers in the 90s and has to pull back clocks and sometimes hard crashes too. I'm certain the Cooler has sufficient CPU T.I.M. and is mounted well because if I remove a syntetic load the temps quickly fall. I'm running an Asrock AB350 board. It's "technically" a 65w TDP chip as was the 2400g but only now am experiencing thermal issues after more than a year with prior config w/o issues. I should add I even have the fanspeed on "full-speed" in the bios. I am running a blower style Vega 64 so that kind of helps with exhausting in case air too. Any feedback is appreciated. 

I have the same thermal issue with my 3700X, the turbo is pushing so max voltage almost all the time, +20 degrees over the R7 1700 - I get 60c on idle and 82c on light gaming on NH-L9i. Temporary mitigation is to disable Core Performance Boost which is turbo boost, but it makes it work with reasonable temps. And waiting for new agesa/new bios with fix for that, which is being worked on according to AMD_Robert on reddit.