Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

8 minutes ago, DownsizeMe said:

Thank you!  This makes me feel much more confident.

Unfortunately I've already purchased the L9i so I'm stuck with that for now...  Do you think the thermal paste that the Noctua comes with will suffice?

Also, what kind of temps are you looking at with your setup?

Noctua thermal paste is also very good. 

As for the LP53, see my review on [H]ard forum

https://hardforum.com/threads/thermolab-cooltek-lp53-review.1923635/

On 23.3.2018 at 4:11 AM, DownsizeMe said:

Thank you!  This makes me feel much more confident.

Unfortunately I've already purchased the L9i so I'm stuck with that for now...  Do you think the thermal paste that the Noctua comes with will suffice?

Also, what kind of temps are you looking at with your setup?

I've run the L9i with a 6600k on stock speed for a year (switched to ryzen 5 recently) and it's quite ok. Temps are stable and the cooler is silent. I switched from an Open air cooled 970 to a blower style cooled 1080 and it made quite the difference in temps and noise. It seems like the open air cooler heats up the whole case, where the blower style cooler only heats up the gpu area of the case (the sentry itself always gets warm/hot).

Are you coming to bed? I can't. This is important.

What? Someone is wrong on the internet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anyone got a successfully configured Sentry 1.1 running a Ryzen 7 3000 series CPU, specifically a 3700x or larger? I recently swapped my 2400g with a 3700x and I'm running a Cryorig C7 and it hovers in the 90s and has to pull back clocks and sometimes hard crashes too. I'm certain the Cooler has sufficient CPU T.I.M. and is mounted well because if I remove a syntetic load the temps quickly fall. I'm running an Asrock AB350 board. It's "technically" a 65w TDP chip as was the 2400g but only now am experiencing thermal issues after more than a year with prior config w/o issues. I should add I even have the fanspeed on "full-speed" in the bios. I am running a blower style Vega 64 so that kind of helps with exhausting in case air too. Any feedback is appreciated. 

I have the same thermal issue with my 3700X, the turbo is pushing so max voltage almost all the time, +20 degrees over the R7 1700 - I get 60c on idle and 82c on light gaming on NH-L9i. Temporary mitigation is to disable Core Performance Boost which is turbo boost, but it makes it work with reasonable temps. And waiting for new agesa/new bios with fix for that, which is being worked on according to AMD_Robert on reddit.