Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

I just tried the Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Mini in the Zaber Sentry, with the case open in vertical position. I can't say I am convinced.

The heat seems to be blown inside the case, dissipated via the back, right on the spot where @Masada02 mounted his SSD's. The side with the ventilation holes seems only to be used as intake. Even with an open case the card seems to be throttling almost immediately.

7 hours ago, ZeZke said:

I just tried the Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Mini in the Zaber Sentry, with the case open in vertical position. I can't say I am convinced.

The heat seems to be blown inside the case, dissipated via the back, right on the spot where @Masada02 mounted his SSD's. The side with the ventilation holes seems only to be used as intake. Even with an open case the card seems to be throttling almost immediately.

This is why blower cards are preferred. What you described is exactly how the gpu cooler is designed to work. It's possible with Masada02's setup he has more positive pressure forcing some of the heat out. 

The website of Dr. Zaber Sentry does tell a slightly different story for vertical oriented units.

What type of cooling for the GPU should I use?

That depends on the orientation in which You want to use Sentry the most: For horizontal orientation we recommend using blower style cooled GPU’s because they will utilise both bottom and side vents as cold air inlets and blow out hot air at the back of the case. For vertical orientation we recommend using open air cooled units which two or three fans because they will be able to perform close to open-case configuration in this orientation.

On 3.11.2017 at 9:00 PM, Cody_53027 said:

Has anyone built one with a 1080ti open-cooler? I'm concerned it might be a little thermal limited in the sentry even though there there are a few that will fit. I.E. EVGA 1080ti SC2

I have a Sentry Case with a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition, temperatures aren't a problem (even though not great temps of course). It runs fine so far, with temperatures which you would expect (higher 70s under synthetic stress). I didn't run in any temperature related prblems so far, but mind you that the EVGA GTX 1080 TI SC isn't very silent.

I may be able to take some photos in the case later at the day or in the next days (have to put in a new SSDanyway in the next days .. which unfortunately have to go on the bottom side of the motherboard) 

But I think that the EVGA SC is maybe the only open-cooler design card that may fit in the Sentry (I know for sure that the MSI Armor card won't fit, cause it's to tall).

13 hours ago, ZeZke said:

The website of Dr. Zaber Sentry does tell a slightly different story for vertical oriented units.

Right. But you're trying to cool 250W in an extra small form factor. Plus with the Zotac heatsink the fins run longitudinally and thus the hot air has two places to go, out the rear i/o or straight out the opposite end of the card and into the gpu chamber. If you want to keep the card I would recommend adding a rubber seal between the perimeter of the face (fan side) of the gpu and the case. That seal ensures no hot gpu exhaust is recycled into the gpu fans, and it also creates very high pressure inside the case, forcing hot air out. By doing this you basically turn your gpu into a case fan. I have done this with both a gtx 1060 and gtx 1080 in my two Sentry pc's and it works well. I can try to upload pictures later to clarify what I'm describing. 

18 hours ago, Narnash said:

I have a Sentry Case with a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition, temperatures aren't a problem (even though not great temps of course). It runs fine so far, with temperatures which you would expect (higher 70s under synthetic stress). I didn't run in any temperature related prblems so far, but mind you that the EVGA GTX 1080 TI SC isn't very silent.

I may be able to take some photos in the case later at the day or in the next days (have to put in a new SSDanyway in the next days .. which unfortunately have to go on the bottom side of the motherboard) 

But I think that the EVGA SC is maybe the only open-cooler design card that may fit in the Sentry (I know for sure that the MSI Armor card won't fit, cause it's to tall).

How does this card fit? Did you have to use low profile PCI-E connectors as well?

1 hour ago, ZeZke said:

How does this card fit? Did you have to use low profile PCI-E connectors as well?

It does fit with normal PCI-E connectors ( SilverStone SFX Series SX500-LG ) but it tends to flex the top/side of the case a bit when the cables are bad arranged, so it fits but low profile prefered.

PS: can't upload photos right now since I have no internet at home atm (posting from work :P

On 13.12.2017 at 10:06 AM, Narnash said:

It does fit with normal PCI-E connectors ( SilverStone SFX Series SX500-LG ) but it tends to flex the top/side of the case a bit when the cables are bad arranged, so it fits but low profile prefered.

PS: can't upload photos right now since I have no internet at home atm (posting from work :P

@ZeZke @ZombiPL

So as I said sióme pic'S from the EVGA GTX 1080TI SC (Black Edition) in teh Sentry. (Imgur gallery)

ZztBpz0.jpg

5AasLNj.jpg

A bit of regular GPU sag in horizontal position. The clearance between the graphics card/fans and the side wall of the case are ~ 9 mm

CUKjtfL.jpg

The EVGA GTX 1080 TI SC (BE) has arround 36 mm total clearance at the end of the card (to the front of the case) .

5KJQGOE.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture. The hight or better the 6&8pin PCIe power plugs make a somewhat tight fit but they fit. These are the regular hight connectors of the SilverStone SFX Series SX500-LG PSU. Maybe 18 mm clearance in hight.

Total size conclusion of the graphics card itself are L: 270 mm ; H: 42 mm (it's Dual Slot only!) ; W: 105 mm (which should also be regular PCIe spec)

Spoiler

lbBM3k3.jpg?1

cT986Cr.jpg?1

hf4Lq2M.jpg?1

hight measured without the PCIe connector itself!

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2018 at 3:09 PM, ZombiPL said:

we just added small clock to our website... :D:)

You are killing me

1 hour ago, ZombiPL said:

Naaah, it's just a clock :D

Is the pricing different or is it back to pre order pricing or retail pricing?

4 hours ago, MRP0P1NFR3SH said:

Is the pricing different or is it back to pre order pricing or retail pricing?

The price is at the same level as we showed the predicted after-campaign-retail price, but it is still not a standard retail but "on-demand pre-order" like in indiegogo campaign (we have to be sure that everything works fine and that there is still a market for such product, before we go into standard retail). Because we are in Poland, Paypal forced us to use our account based in PLN, that is why we decided we will be showing PLN as our main paying currency.

But we understand where is the problem: very weak USD currency compared to EURO and Polish PLN now and during the indiegogo campaign.

Predicted after-campaign prices showed in the indiegogo campaign (link to the currency calculation table from the date of the indiegogo campaign start 10.01.2017):
970 PLN, €222 EURO, $235 USD

First after-campaign sale (current pre-orders) (link to the currency calculation table from yesterday 29.01.2018):

970 PLN, €234 EURO, $291 USD

It looks like on the date of the campaign start the EURO to USD ratio was 0,94 : 1 (for one dollar you could buy 94 euro cents), so it was nearly 1:1.
Today this EURO to USD ratio is 0,81 : 1 (for one dollar you can buy only 81 euro cents). That makes this difference you asked :(

What is more, some of our suppliers from outside EU, rised their prices in USD or even asked us if we can pay in EURO, because of currently weak dollar... and in the current situation we understand them. It also means that in the future the price of Sentry in USD can rise or goes down, depending how good will be the condition of US economy and the "power" of dollar (same goes for EURO, since Poland is still outside EURO-zone). From our side, we decided to keep our price from the campaign, and since PayPal forced us to use bank account in PLN, we will be showing it as our main currency (at least for now).

I hope this clarifies some things in this matter.

Hi there, just ordered mine during the last pre-order ?

Ideally I would like to put an i7-8700/8700k inside, any feedback from other builders regarding the heat?

What's the best cooling solution you could recommend? I might go for a cryorig c7 modified with a noctua fan (thank's to Masada02 recommandation)  but it seems to run pretty hot

I'm quite concerned about the cpu overheating as i'm planning to do some 3D rendering and simulation 

on this build, but the 16 threads are really attractive for the software I'm using... (mostly houdini) 

cheers 

2 hours ago, Falafel said:

Hi there, just ordered mine during the last pre-order ?

Ideally I would like to put an i7-8700/8700k inside, any feedback from other builders regarding the heat?

What's the best cooling solution you could recommend? I might go for a cryorig c7 modified with a noctua fan (thank's to Masada02 recommandation)  but it seems to run pretty hot

I'm quite concerned about the cpu overheating as i'm planning to do some 3D rendering and simulation 

on this build, but the 16 threads are really attractive for the software I'm using... (mostly houdini) 

cheers 

We recommend going for non-K variant, that's for sure.

Cryorig is a nice cooler, but it isn't really meant for it's 48mm size because it's really loud when facing inlet close. Check this out to hear for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzpO4kL7a9o

C7 had also some issues with mounting mechanisms (too long screws, base interfering with capacitors on 115x boards etc.) when it launch, and I don't know if those were resolved.

Noctua NH-L9i seems like standard approach for 65W TDP / non-K CPU. 

I also think you are slightly confusing i7-8700/K with Ryzen 7 in terms of thread count - the i7-8700/K have 6 cores and 12 threads while Ryzen 7 are the ones with 16 threads.

I have Ryzen 7 1700 (65W) in my rig and with NH-L9i it performed okay, and I have to say that this specific CPU is quite interesting as it maintains nice temps when all threads are loaded and it doesn't reach max boost that way, but it heats up pretty quickly to higher temps (still safe though) when running singe/double threaded load.

If you are only going to work on this system, I'd recommend going for R7 1700 for the core count, with a proper high-end board, and if you really need top notch performance in games, than think about i7-8700.

2 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

We recommend going for non-K variant, that's for sure.

Cryorig is a nice cooler, but it isn't really meant for it's 48mm size because it's really loud when facing inlet close. Check this out to hear for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzpO4kL7a9o

C7 had also some issues with mounting mechanisms (too long screws, base interfering with capacitors on 115x boards etc.) when it launch, and I don't know if those were resolved.

Noctua NH-L9i seems like standard approach for 65W TDP / non-K CPU. 

I also think you are slightly confusing i7-8700/K with Ryzen 7 in terms of thread count - the i7-8700/K have 6 cores and 12 threads while Ryzen 7 are the ones with 16 threads.

I have Ryzen 7 1700 (65W) in my rig and with NH-L9i it performed okay, and I have to say that this specific CPU is quite interesting as it maintains nice temps when all threads are loaded and it doesn't reach max boost that way, but it heats up pretty quickly to higher temps (still safe though) when running singe/double threaded load.

If you are only going to work on this system, I'd recommend going for R7 1700 for the core count, with a proper high-end board, and if you really need top notch performance in games, than think about i7-8700.

Hey thank's for the reply, yeah I meant 12 threads not 16, I typed too fast ?

I was quite settled going for intel but I'm not against AMD, what mobo would you recommend in this case? 

Was planning to go with the Gigabyte Z370N WIFI or the Asus Strix Z370-I with the intel...

The plan is to use moslty this build for work/3D production including C4D/Houdini/Arnold/Octane

also real time VJing at some point, And a little bit for gaming but not the main use

cheers

J

1 hour ago, Falafel said:

Hey thank's for the reply, yeah I meant 12 threads not 16, I typed too fast ?

I was quite settled going for intel but I'm not against AMD, what mobo would you recommend in this case? 

Was planning to go with the Gigabyte Z370N WIFI or the Asus Strix Z370-I with the intel...

The plan is to use moslty this build for work/3D production including C4D/Houdini/Arnold/Octane

also real time VJing at some point, And a little bit for gaming but not the main use

cheers

J

I don't think you need to go up to strix since that's the most expensive stuff, and you will not be able to use the potential to OC on that board in Sentry most likely, especially if you were to go with non-K CPU.

Both of those board support dual M.2 which is nice :)

Just waiting on my R5 2400G at the moment. I am still going to order stuff from cablemod too but I think stock cables will work just fine for interim. Gskill 2x8GB @ 3000mhz, Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 (bootdrive), 2x 2TB Seagate 2.5" HDD in Raid 0. Cryorig C7 w/ Thermo Grizzly Kryonaut TIM, Corsair SF600. Oh, and I might wedge an RGB strip in there too. I will likely put in a GPU in the future but Raven Ridge is looking pretty awesome for an HTPC and Plex Server for the near term. I've waited over a year to do this build. Super looking forward to it finally coming together.

20180212_180247.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I received mine as well! Super happy, I started to build,

@SaperPL

I'm just trying to fix the PCI-E riser and I have a problem, one screw is fixed, but the hole for the other one is not aligned at all, impossible to put a screw in here... 

anyone else? What i'm supposed to do..?

Cheers 

IMG_7686.JPG

IMG_8622.JPG

6 hours ago, Falafel said:

Hi there, I received mine as well! Super happy, I started to build,

@SaperPL

I'm just trying to fix the PCI-E riser and I have a problem, one screw is fixed, but the hole for the other one is not aligned at all, impossible to put a screw in here... 

anyone else? What i'm supposed to do..?

Cheers 

I'm not SaperPL, but hopefully I can help. 

The screw isn't supposed to go through both the riser and the case. The screw goes through only the case and keeps the riser in place by not allowing the riser to move around. It's a way to make it so any riser can work with the case. 

You pull the riser through the slot (male end first) from the gpu chamber to the cpu chamber until you can't move the riser any more. You then screw in the screws. The riser should be unable to move due to the screws stopping it from shifting towards the gpu chamber. Just to reiterate; the riser is locked into place without having the screws to through it. The entire process should require little to no force. 

Hopefully I made sense. If you need any clarification, please let me know. 

6 hours ago, Octagoncow said:

I'm not SaperPL, but hopefully I can help. 

The screw isn't supposed to go through both the riser and the case. The screw goes through only the case and keeps the riser in place by not allowing the riser to move around. It's a way to make it so any riser can work with the case. 

You pull the riser through the slot (male end first) from the gpu chamber to the cpu chamber until you can't move the riser any more. You then screw in the screws. The riser should be unable to move due to the screws stopping it from shifting towards the gpu chamber. Just to reiterate; the riser is locked into place without having the screws to through it. The entire process should require little to no force. 

Hopefully I made sense. If you need any clarification, please let me know. 

Hey thank's for you answer! 

make total sense! I should have checked the online instruction before it's much more detailed than the paper in the box I thought the screws were supposed to go in the holes of the riser on the teeny tiny sketch instruction but it's clear on the online one, 

I'll fix that today

thank's again

cheers! 

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and to the SFF space in general but I am very intrigued and I'm starting to buy new SFF components to hopefully build in the Dr. Zaber Sentry once it retails.

I am just a bit apprehensive about the thermal performance of the case as the official website recommends CPU TDP of 65W and GPU of 150W.

For my CPU I am using an Intel i5 7600K with Noctua L9i, and for my GPU I have a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080. Both are at stock speed and I do not plan on overclocking at all. In fact, I plan on undervolting both in order to reduce the amount of heat produced.

Can anyone give me any insight or experience with the case and its thermal performance? Does my setup consume too much power to remain at safe temps in this tiny case?

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, DownsizeMe said:

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and to the SFF space in general but I am very intrigued and I'm starting to buy new SFF components to hopefully build in the Dr. Zaber Sentry once it retails.

I am just a bit apprehensive about the thermal performance of the case as the official website recommends CPU TDP of 65W and GPU of 150W.

For my CPU I am using an Intel i5 7600K with Noctua L9i, and for my GPU I have a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080. Both are at stock speed and I do not plan on overclocking at all. In fact, I plan on undervolting both in order to reduce the amount of heat produced.

Can anyone give me any insight or experience with the case and its thermal performance? Does my setup consume too much power to remain at safe temps in this tiny case?

Thanks!

You'll be totally fine. I have an i7-4790K (delidded and undervolted)  and a GTX 1080 Founders Edition (overclocked)  and don't have issues. However the difference with my setup is I'm using the Thermolab LP53 cpu cooler with the Noctua NF-a9x14 fan. It's quite a bit better than the typical nh-l9i. Other than that I recommend a high quality thermal paste like Thermal Grizzly Cryonaut. 

18 minutes ago, ej24 said:

You'll be totally fine. I have an i7-4790K (delidded and undervolted)  and a GTX 1080 Founders Edition (overclocked)  and don't have issues. However the difference with my setup is I'm using the Thermolab LP53 cpu cooler with the Noctua NF-a9x14 fan. It's quite a bit better than the typical nh-l9i. Other than that I recommend a high quality thermal paste like Thermal Grizzly Cryonaut. 

Thank you!  This makes me feel much more confident.

Unfortunately I've already purchased the L9i so I'm stuck with that for now...  Do you think the thermal paste that the Noctua comes with will suffice?

Also, what kind of temps are you looking at with your setup?

double post

Edited by ej24