Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Apple 1 computer worth $200K left at recycling centre

Interesting story out of the Silicon Valley area. Guess she`s not that inclined on techy things.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/apple-1-computer-worth-200k-left-at-recycling-centre-1.3094519

https://www.facebook.com/topic/Apple-I/103955672977197?source=whfrt&position=1&trqid=6155132656809792933

Update:

Found a news segment from a ABC channel in the Bay area. and it looks like this story is going quite viral.

To be perfectly honest I'm not surprised she did it. It hardly looks very valuable does it.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Yeah, my dad told me about this.

the company gives 50 per cent

Nice typo there CBC..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

Honestly I would not think about that being worth $200000 if I found it...

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | AMD Vega 64 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'm surprised they actually sold it TBH. IMO they should have contacted her before selling it and offered her it back.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I'm surprised they actually sold it TBH. IMO they should have contacted her before selling it and offered her it back.

I think that we should be happy that they arent total scumbags and taken all of it

companies just care bout profit

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

To be perfectly honest I'm not surprised she did it. It hardly looks very valuable does it.

I disagree. Almost no matter what enclosure it was in (the one depicted in the article is not the actual computer mentioned) it would be quite clear that it is part of a history and that it's definitely not worthless to almost anyone. It's common knowledge that even Commodores can net a pretty penny these days.

I'll never understand collectors ^^ if it's dirt cheap, fair enough, it's cool to have, but 200 grand??

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

It was around 1998 when I wanted to get rid of my Nintendo and put it up for sale just for the hell of it not expecting to get much.

Some panicked guy called like 20 minutes later offering me $800 for it, and he'd wire the money in advance. He must have overestimated their rarity at that point, anyway I got the $800 and financed my first PC (that wasn't a Mac)

Never underestimate what your junk is worth to someone else lol.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

More than likely she didn't want to go through the stuff seeing as it was from her recently deceased husband. 

I work at a recycling center.

The kind of shit that gets brought in is absolutely amazing. Just last time I saw a Kirby Super Star advertisement box from the early 90's in mint condition.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

I know some Apple products have a silly 2nd hand value, but come on :P

Saw this earlier, I was glad to hear the company is at least trying to find the person who gave it to them.

PC

Case: Ncase M1 CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k MB: ASUS Strix Z270I RAM: 16GB DDR4 Kingston Fury 2400Mhz SSD: Intel 600P M.2 512GB | WD Blue M.2 500GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Gold Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2, Noctua NF-A9x14

NAS

CPU: Intel Core i3 6100 MB: ASRock B150M ITX RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR4-2133 SSD: Samsung 850-EVO 250GB HDD: WD RED 3TB x2

Cooler: Noctua L9i Case: Silverstone CS01 PSU: Silverstone 300W SFX 80+ Bronze Fans: Noctua NF-F12

MacBook Air 2014

CPU: Intel Dual Core i5 @ 1.4GHz RAM: 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 SSD: 128GB GPU: Intel 5000 HD Graphics

I'll never understand collectors ^^ if it's dirt cheap, fair enough, it's cool to have, but 200 grand??

It's like a V. The prices decrease and then they skyrocket. My dad bought three iPhones at launch. He returned one and kept the other two. We sold one today for $1800. We plan on keeping the other one till it can pay for my college

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

After a couple weeks of behavioral sciences at my school I can easily conclude my parents need to grow up.

Rather get an IBM computer.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx