Boy, if a 1080p, Microsoft Signature Edition existed, I would have a new school laptop...

at 1:07 in the video the whole screen goes green for a while

If taking in account that in the future, scaling for 4K will be better, I don't understand why all reviewers (not only LTT) of mid-range GPU gaming laptops are against the 4K panels. It's true you can save a few bucks if buying a 1080p version (if existing). It's true you won't game @4K unless you play MOBAs. But I think using Windows in 4K and gaming @1080p is not stupid. For example, gaming laptops with mid-range GPU are ideal for programmers who need a beefy CPU (no 5500U please ^^) and can sometimes use the CUDA capabilities of a nvidia GPU.

4K also allows you to have your programming IDE, a stackoverflow page in the browser, a terminal and so on opened at the same time with enough space for all of this. And when this annoying bug is nowhere to be found, you can still go for a gaming session in most games @1080p, medium settings (ultra for MOBA and low demanding ones).

I guess that a super light, 8 hour lasting laptop with a 4K panel and those broadwell U CPU is enough for some java Hello World, basic apps and Android/iOS programming. But when you start compiling huge libraries or huge programs, using neural networks, deep learning, image processing and so on, having a powerful CPU on the go is very handy (and more and more stuff is GPU accelerated). As a student, it can be even more relevant (of course student NEVER play video games while at school ^^).

But then of course the GPU has to be capable of driving a 4K screen (outside gaming). I heard that it is not always the case, even with a 960m.

What do you think ? That programming is done at work on a desktop with 2-3 screens ? Or that a mid-range gaming laptop is well suited for this task ? 

P.S. : What I said is still applicable outside programming for people that just want plenty of space on the screen

Gaming: Windows 10 - Intel i7 9900K - Asus RTX 2080 Strix OC - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER - O11 Dynamic

I'm seriously missing the Gigabit ethernet on this model.

SNIP

4k on a 15.6" panel without any scaling is extremely hard to read, text is absolutely tiny, if you are using scaling to make text readable, you might aswell just use a 1080p panel

it might be useful for video editors etc but seriously a nice 1080p panel at 15" is still extremely sharp

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

there's a 1080p version in the philippines that's approximately usd ~1,350 (php 60,000). it doesn't have the super fast ssd though, it has a 1 tb hdd. The memory is less as well, 4 gb soldered on with 8 gb in a dim slot. if it had the ssd it would've been perfect. you can theoretically put in 2 drives (2.5 inch drive + m.2). i think the m.2 slot in the philippine version is vacant.

I have the last gen version of this laptop (red accent is on the base and not the screen ) + a 1080p display is what sold it to me. Great spec and is very capable of gaming.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Why the hate for the 4K panel? I don't think ASUS ever intended anyone to play games at that res. It's why 4K is so good, you get that idea 1:4 pixel scaling up from 1080p so you don't loose anything by up-scaling games; but when your browsing the web, typing lots, or especially working with spreadsheets, the extra sharpness you get from such a panel makes a surprising difference.

I've been debating if I wanna get a gaming laptop when I go away for college. Instead of dragging my freaking tower.

01101100 01110110 01101100 00100000 00110101 00100000 01101101 01100001 01100111 01101001 01101011 01100001 01110010 01110000 

The repeating 'broken record' was repeated too many times. Just once would have done the job. You're entering Top Gear territory there, something few people enjoyed about the show. :(

Otherwise... standard fare, but ya not getting a thumbs up because irritated :P

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

The reason you ommit battery life measurements in laptop reviews will forever elude me.

Also, hitting Space bar with index finger is unnatural and a sure sign that Brandon is possessed by a demon of some sort. Exorcism on Channel Superfun?

Anyone has facepalmed already about it, but yeah, I don't think laptops in general are ready for 4K yet, let it become a desktop standar first. 

If taking in account that in the future, scaling for 4K will be better, I don't understand why all reviewers (not only LTT) of mid-range GPU gaming laptops are against the 4K panels. It's true you can save a few bucks if buying a 1080p version (if existing). It's true you won't game @4K unless you play MOBAs. But I think using Windows in 4K and gaming @1080p is not stupid. For example, gaming laptops with mid-range GPU are ideal for programmers who need a beefy CPU (no 5500U please ^^) and can sometimes use the CUDA capabilities of a nvidia GPU.

4K also allows you to have your programming IDE, a stackoverflow page in the browser, a terminal and so on opened at the same time with enough space for all of this. And when this annoying bug is nowhere to be found, you can still go for a gaming session in most games @1080p, medium settings (ultra for MOBA and low demanding ones).

I guess that a super light, 8 hour lasting laptop with a 4K panel and those broadwell U CPU is enough for some java Hello World, basic apps and Android/iOS programming. But when you start compiling huge libraries or huge programs, using neural networks, deep learning, image processing and so on, having a powerful CPU on the go is very handy (and more and more stuff is GPU accelerated). As a student, it can be even more relevant (of course student NEVER play video games while at school ^^).

But then of course the GPU has to be capable of driving a 4K screen (outside gaming). I heard that it is not always the case, even with a 960m.

What do you think ? That programming is done at work on a desktop with 2-3 screens ? Or that a mid-range gaming laptop is well suited for this task ? 

P.S. : What I said is still applicable outside programming for people that just want plenty of space on the screen

When you have 4K on such a small panel, the productivity argument doesn't work either because you end up having to use scaling features to work properly with the content.

I have a 28 inch 4K monitor and even then I still need ~150% scaling for windows UI and it can still be hard to read text in a ton of non-scaling programs like steam or GOG galaxy.  I think this would be next to impossible on a laptop.

1080p does scale really well on 4K though, it almost looks as good as 1080p native.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Ugh, I wish laptop manufactures would stop putting 4k displays in laptops and instead spend that extra money on improving something which you can actually take advantage of.

i7 3770K @4.3Ghz, H100, 16GB RAM, Windforce 780Ti & 680, HyperX 3K 120GB SSD, Seagate 500GB, WD 2TB Black, Asus Z-77 V-PRO, Some ODD, 3X 24" 1080P

Could someone elaborate on the touchpad? After being spoiled by the macbook pro touchpad i can't imagine going over to a clunky touchpad. How would you rank the touchpad from 0-10 where 0 = lenovo thinkpad x230, and 10 = macbook?

render error at 1:07 mark

what was Asus smoking when they designed this? a "gaming" laptop with a 4k screen that doesn't have the gpu to handle 4k gaming.  Other than having a 4k screen to drive up the price, I don't really see the point of this thing.

So... It has a 4K option, but it looks like the regular 1920x1080 model is priced really really nicely. My only question is does it have space for two internal 2.5" drives, because the cheaper one has a 1 TB HDD and I'd like to have that and my SSD, if I can.

edit: guess not =(

superedit: talking about the wrong laptop anyway, rip

Nice laptop but I don't think the 4K is necesary for the laptops especially cause the largest latop screen you can get is 18.4''.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the M.2 slot compatible with m.2 sata ssd, i wonder? Backward compatible?

<snip>

G750

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER