[Solved] Motherboard Won't Power ON - No POST

MrRasher2004
Go to solution Solved by zanthros,

Remove the power cable, remove the CMOS battery and push and hold the CMOS button for 10 seconds.... (Cmos button is by the power button on your board and labeled CMOS)

Hello,

My motherboard doesn't seem to power on at all. I was cleaning my computer up and plugged everything back in before closing the whole case up, I checked if the computer booted and everything was working fine, it all came on and booted to windows. I then popped one of the side panels on and moved my PC to the area it normally sits, I then plugged all the USB's like mouse, keyboard, etc. then once I finished this I plugged the power cable in and flicked the button on the power supply, my computer then lit up for a split second (I hadn't turned the computer by this time, the motherboard lights up when it is receiving power). After this I thought it was strange and tried to turn it on via the power button on my case, no luck.. So my question is what is wrong? And what can I do to fix it?

I've so far tested the power supply checking it turned on and work which it does. I've since not tested anything else other than only plugging in the main power sources the board needs.

(Computer is currently sitting on a box with only the cooler and power plugged in and still won't power on)

• CPU
    Intel i7-5820K
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5 WIFI
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB DDR4 @2400Mhz
  • GPU
    ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 (2GB)
  • Case
    Phanteks Enthoo Primo Ultimate Chassis
  • Storage
    Kingston HyperX FURY 120GB SSD, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD & Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM HDD
  • PSU
    Corsair RM Series 750W Power Supply
  • Display(s)
    BenQ GL2450 & BenQ GL2460
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken X61 AIO Liquid Cooler

Thanks,
Matthew.

Recheck the plug at the wall plug and at the back of the PSU.

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

Recheck the plug at the wall plug and at the back of the PSU.

I've checked all of this, I've even tested the power supply on another computer and it worked.

Unplug all devices and re-check. Make sure that all MB power connections are plugged in firmly.

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

Unplug all devices and re-check. Make sure that all MB power connections are plugged in firmly.

The motherboard is currently sitting on a box with only the cooler and power plugged in, still won't power on

Is the power switch cable on the correct posts?

I don't see anything hooked up to the power on pins on the left side in the picture. (By the buzzer/speaker). Are you manually jumping the pins? 

I don't see anything hooked up to the power on pins on the left side in the picture. (By the buzzer/speaker). Are you manually jumping the pins? 

The motherboard as a power button on it, I've also tried manually jumping it.

Is it possible I've short circuited the motherboard?

Ok, If you have verified that all of the memory is in place properly, there is nothing plugged in improperly, all connections are clean and tight, there are no bent/damaged pins on anything, none of the components are damaged (electrically speaking) then the only other thing that I can think of is that the motherboard became damaged when you plugged in the power supply or it got damaged in the process of cleaning. ESD (electro static discharge.... static electricity)  can damage a motherboard easily. just for laughs I would try to clear the cmos and see if it boots...

Ok, If you have verified that all of the memory is in place properly, there is nothing plugged in improperly, all connections are clean and tight, there are no bent/damaged pins on anything, none of the components are damaged (electrically speaking) then the only other thing that I can think of is that the motherboard became damaged when you plugged in the power supply or it got damaged in the process of cleaning. ESD (electro static discharge.... static electricity)  can damage a motherboard easily. just for laughs I would try to clear the cmos and see if it boots...

I've never cleared a cmos before.. Haha, how do I do it?

Remove the power cable, remove the CMOS battery and push and hold the CMOS button for 10 seconds.... (Cmos button is by the power button on your board and labeled CMOS)

HOLY BALLS! Dude your a God! You saved my life! Would of been so much hassle to get that replaced... Many, many thanks!  :D

Thanks... glad it worked out for you. I have only had this work on one "dead board"  before but figured it was worth a try. :)

• 5 years later...
On 5/28/2015 at 12:36 PM, zanthros said:

I had to create an account on this forum, just to thank you for this awesome help. It worked for me too!

I was already looking for a new motherboard for replacing the dead one. But, I was afraid it could be something else, so I double checked the support pages to find a solution. And I got it! Great!

• 5 months later...

Also signed up to say thanks! Have an elderly customer with a GA-H110M-M.2 board that wouldn't boot, this solution worked! No button on the board, but closing the clear cmos jumper did the trick. Thanks again!!!

• 5 months later...
On 5/28/2015 at 11:36 AM, zanthros said:

thanks so much man, was pulling grey hairs trying to get mine to work. much appreciated

• 1 month later...

This doesn't work for me. Tried it but it still won't power on. I have an ASUS A8N-E and I'm using an Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego. The LED on the Mainboard is lit up but jumping the power pins doesn't do anything 😞

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2021 at 9:34 AM, Zertyz said:

This doesn't work for me. Tried it but it still won't power on. I have an ASUS A8N-E and I'm using an Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego. The LED on the Mainboard is lit up but jumping the power pins doesn't do anything 😞

I am having this same problem, mobo lights up for a spare second, then nothing happens. Did you perhaps managed to fix your problem?

• 1 year later...
On 5/28/2015 at 11:36 PM, zanthros said:

I signup to reply to this solution. I was already looking for new motherboard and cpu to troubleshoot this. Luckily I  found this solution.

I’m using motherboard Asrock z77e-itx with i5-3470. Using it as NAS. It was suddenly shutdown by itself in the middle of the night. So on the next day evening, I try to turn it on and is not even boot.

Was suspecting PSU but try to jump start it and success. So probably motherboard or processor causing it. I unplug all the PSU cables, check the CPU pin, reinstall the processor but still failed to boot. After trying to google the solution, I found this and VIOLA!! It works!!!