The Queen's Speech - More snooping powers

SIGSEGV

Monitoring who you tweet and text

The Queen said new legislation will modernise the law on communications data, the so-called "Snooper's Charter" as critics call it. The government says it will help track terrorists online, though critics say any activists who find themselves out of favour with the government (such as environmental groups) could come under scrutiny.

It's not clear exactly what this new law will involve at the moment, but it is thought that internet service providers and mobile operators will have to keep more data about what customers are doing, including who they text, tweet and instant message - as well as the games they play. So whilst your Clash of Clans habit might be secret from your boss, the government could be watching.

And whilst we're on the topic of communication, measures will also come into force to tackle broadcasters of extremist material. The government wants to strengthen Ofcom, the communications watchdog, so that it can take action against channels that transmit extremist content.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32904784/what-the-queens-speech-means-for-young-people

Am I the only one who's alarmed by this? Why is the internet not going super-panic mode over this? It's like the queen said this and no one noticed, we're getting closer and closer to this becoming a real thing!

_83263309_queens-speech-2.jpg

Edited by Dave :)
Removed political agenda

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

The queen just said it- I bet she has no fucking clue what she was on about. That being said, people won't give a lot of crap about this since it doesn't affect them directly. If it was something that limited Facebook or YouTube the whooooooooooole country would stand against it with pitchforks. Besides, people shouldn't be doing anything illegal on the unfiltered web anyway since they are just risking getting caught. Smart people know how not to get caught and this spying this won't affect a lot of them who wish to indulge in "illegal" activities on the internet.

You get caught if you're dumb on the internet.

BTW. That's what people get for voting fucking Tories. Sorry for swearing, this type of BS gets my blood pressure high.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Treading a fine line at the moment. This is not a political debate. This thread is for discussion regarding "snooping powers". 

The only bad thing I see on there is 2 and 3 IMO. 2 is super bad though, so it makes up for the rest

Besides, people shouldn't be doing anything illegal on the unfiltered web anyway since they are just risking getting caught. Smart people know how not to get caught and this spying this won't affect a lot of them who wish to indulge in "illegal" activities on the internet.

If David Cameron gets his way you won't even have to do anything illegal

For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone. It’s often meant we have stood neutral between different values. And that’s helped foster a narrative of extremism and grievance.

This government will conclusively turn the page on this failed approach. As the party of one nation, we will govern as one nation and bring our country together. That means actively promoting certain values.

Freedom of speech. Freedom of worship. Democracy. The rule of law. Equal rights regardless of race, gender or sexuality.

We must say to our citizens: this is what defines us as a society.

Most people don't care about stuff like this because the only way that they see it is "I don't do anything wrong so why should I be worried" or the "I have nothing to hide" mentality. People don't seem to understand that the more they let governments get away with now, when it does start to affect them they won't be able to do anything about it because they didn't speak up sooner. 

.... Does everyone just get free stuff in the UK these days?

Seems like the government there is totally in your shit 24/7 no offense

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Number 2 worries me since mass surveillance is never good, even if you don't have anything to hide. What if you jokingly types something and never meant it, but it will then be held against you forever? 

Also, I can see what the Queen is on about in number 4, there are way too many young people not working due to their choice, but while employment is on the rise, getting the job is becoming even more difficult. Not because the skills required aren't there, but the fact that companies want experience, and experience usually means they are older with previous employment, which puts the 18-24 range at a hard point in this. You can't get experience without a job, and you can't get a job without experience, it's a never ending loop.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Will somebody please think of the terrorist children!!....Wait I think I got that wrong....

you mean the ones running the world?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 and 3 are the issues, besides that there's nothing else seriously bad in there. I disagree with the EU referendum, I think if we leave then 1984 will happen, guaranteed.

The mass storage of our online data worries me, especially as the home office and police will have access instantly all day every day, unlike currently where they still require limited permissions. Why should the government and police be able to access it without a warrant when they can't search your home and belongings without one?

Strong and irrational personal opinion: This is why anyone who voted conservative does not care about their human rights and would quite happily see the country privatised to hell, bring back the death penalty and have a camera in every room of their house, all hooked up to a "national crime camera surveillance network for spying on plebs" or NatCamNet for short.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

2 and 3 are the issues, besides that there's nothing else seriously bad in there. I disagree with the EU referendum, I think if we leave then 1984 will happen, guaranteed.

The mass storage of our online data worries me, especially as the home office and police will have access instantly all day every day, unlike currently where they still require limited permissions. Why should the government and police be able to access it without a warrant when they can't search your home and belongings without one?

Strong and irrational personal opinion: This is why anyone who voted conservative does not care about their human rights and would quite happily see the country privatised to hell, bring back the death penalty and have a camera in every room of their house, all hooked up to a "national crime camera surveillance network for spying on plebs" or NatCamNet for short.

It's not just the conservatives. Liberals are just as responsible for the rampant and unacceptable growth of government.

The differences between "conservatives" and "liberal democrats" in government, are in reality nothing more than a clever deception.

It's not just the conservatives. Liberals are just as responsible for the rampant and unacceptable growth of government.

The differences between "conservatives" and "liberal democrats" in government, are in reality nothing more than a clever deception.

The lib dems aren't that bad, yes they made mistakes *cough* student fees *cough* but they actively and publicly fought against the snoopers charter amongst other things and helped to silence the tory back benchers. Now that the lib dems are out of government, the likes of Grayling and Gove will be able to run rampant upon our legal and educational system, destroying what little freedom is left. Personally I think the lib dems are a decent party, but any party that goes into government with the Tories will be unelectable for a generation.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

BTW. That's what people get for voting fucking Tories. Sorry for swearing, this type of BS gets my blood pressure high.

Fuck Tories bruh, I feel you.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

The lib dems aren't that bad, yes they made mistakes *cough* student fees *cough* but they actively and publicly fought against the snoopers charter amongst other things and helped to silence the tory back benchers. Now that the lib dems are out of government, the likes of Grayling and Gove will be able to run rampant upon our legal and educational system, destroying what little freedom is left. Personally I think the lib dems are a decent party, but any party that goes into government with the Tories will be unelectable for a generation.

Their opposition to it is entirely manufactured. They do and say things to try and win votes, not because they actually care.

Or at least that's how its going over here in the US. Both parties are actively working towards attaining a permanent voter base, and thus secure unlimited authority.

Don't worry they won't get them through the house of lords...

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Don't worry they won't get them through the house of lords...

They'll probably fast-track it because 'terrorism' though, so it might actually have a chance

If it was something that limited Facebook or YouTube the whooooooooooole country would stand against it with pitchforks.

She still has her guard m8s to to deal with those people :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Their opposition to it is entirely manufactured. They do and say things to try and win votes, not because they actually care.

Or at least that's how its going over here in the US. Both parties are actively working towards attaining a permanent voter base, and thus secure unlimited authority.

All politics is like that wherever you go. So long as you have career politicians you will have manufactured votes. However, I do honestly think there are a large number of politicians out there who are strongly against the snoopers charter, largely for personal reasons yes (We might find out about their affairs for example) but they still stand against it.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

All politics is like that wherever you go. So long as you have career politicians you will have manufactured votes. However, I do honestly think there are a large number of politicians out there who are strongly against the snoopers charter, largely for personal reasons yes (We might find out about their affairs for example) but they still stand against it.

That's what I don't get about the snooping going on. Agencies like the NSA, there's every chance they have all the evidence any prosecutor would need to take them down, so why not just go rogue and release the evidence? It's not like the politicians will be able to do anything to them once the info is out there, they'll be too busy fleeing to other countries with their money to do anything else.

That's what I don't get about the snooping going on. Agencies like the NSA, there's every chance they have all the evidence any prosecutor would need to take them down, so why not just go rogue and release the evidence? It's not like the politicians will be able to do anything to them once the info is out there, they'll be too busy fleeing to other countries with their money to do anything else.

tumblr_mddzufjPer1ri1mxoo1_500.gif

Because it's the politicians who are in charge of these organisations, plus it's more a case of I scratch your back you scratch mine.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

-snip

Because it's the politicians who are in charge of these organisations, plus it's more a case of I scratch your back you scratch mine.

I guess that's true, but the NSA is the one with the information, and thus all of the power, with a simple press release they could destroy the politicians in the public eye. (as unimaginable as it is to consider that people could view politicians even lower than they do now)

I guess that's true, but the NSA is the one with the information, and thus all of the power, with a simple press release they could destroy the politicians in the public eye. (as unimaginable as it is to consider that people could view politicians even lower than they do now)

But why? If they do that, there won't be any politicians, therefore they won't have any support or defence. So long as they have politicians they can blackmail them to get what they want. If they did get rid of them, then it's likely there would be a military coup or total anarchy, followed by them being shut down.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

But why? If they do that, there won't be any politicians, therefore they won't have any support or defence. So long as they have politicians they can blackmail them to get what they want. If they did get rid of them, then it's likely there would be a military coup or total anarchy, followed by them being shut down.

I don't know, maybe because it would be the right thing to do? And we would still have politicians, just new ones. And maybe some worthwhile changes to the rules governing them.